Who Remembers Dog Patch? - Page 14
Create Post
Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

1st MAW Disbursing Office to Dog Patch

I was a 3421 working the Disbo Office at 1st MAW. After a party at the 1st MAW EM Club about 10 of us went on a skivvie run to Dog Patch. After having fun all night it was time to try to get back on base. It was about 4am and there was NO traffic to hitch hike. We all were really drunk and didn't know what to do. So, as drunken logic would dictate the best way to get back on base was for all of us to all march arm in arm, down the main street of Dog Patch singing the Marine Corp Hymn, to gate 12. Our drunken logic was that there would be safety in numbers (parade??) and the MP's at the gate would salute us as we marched in (have you stopped lauphing yet...).

The gates slamed shut, jeeps came up from all directions, numerous weapons were pointed in our direction and we all went to the brig.

As luck would have it our logic worked in a way we hadn't considered.

Payday was right around the corner and the disburing office needed each and everyone of us. Instead of leaving 1000's of Marines go unpaid (pretty ugly...) the decision was made to release us from the brig and leave the repremanding to our Captain!!

So, in the end there WAS saftey in numbers!!!

On a sadder note. One evening as we went out to visit our girls we noticed something had changed as soon as we entered. Between some candles and incence on the wall was a picture of one of the girls. All the other girls were crying... I asked what was wrong.

Her brother had been kidnapped by the VC. She was told that if she didn't go with them and be a prostitute for the NVA they would kill her brother.

We never saw her again...

Damn the rockets! Full speed ahead!

Then there was the time when two buddies of mine and I were in the vill for some fun. I was in the rack going at it with my girl when we started taking incoming. The room lit up when a rocket had exploded just behind the house. Everyone scrambled for the bunker.....but us. I was having too good a time and REALLY didn't want to stop at that moment. I kept on going. She was giggling like crazy. A few minutes later we reluctantly went to the bunker which was only a few feet away.

Bushwacker; I may have seen you there! One evening I heard a number of american voices enter the house. I peeked out to see a couple MP's. I figured I was busted. I wasn't. It was a team from sick bay (to MP's and a doc) treating girls that had "bugs".

Watching and hearing the girls scream and curse in Vietnamees when the needle went into her butt cracked me up!! LMAO!!

It's all coming back to me now!!

Sitting here thinking about Dog Patch is bringing back LOTS of memories!!

One morning as we woke up in Dog Patch I heard a lot of noise out on the street. I looked out the front door onto the main street of Dog Patch and saw a six-by with a bunch of locals running behind it with buckets. The Marines on board were pouring slop out of 55 gal barrels. I recognized those barrels from when we would clean our plates in the Mess Hall!! This freaked me out!!

Back on base I asked around about this.

Apparently, distributing the waste food from our mess halls to the people of near by villages was part of the rent the U.S. paid for the use of the DaNang Air Base!!! Incredible if true!!!

4th of July in Dog Patch!!

My buddies and I headed out to Dog Patch on the 4th of July. Having never been in DaNang for the 4th of July I had no idea what to expect. We just went on partying and drinking as usual and by midnight we were in prime shape!! When midnight came the skies lite up! It seemed like every Marine on base and off starting firing their weapons.

At that time all the colored flares meant nothing. Red, Green, White, hell every flare imaginable was going into the sky celebrating the 4th.

Although I was "off limits" I had to join in the celebration. I laid on my back behind the house and set off a mag of rounds into the air from my M-16 into the air in the direction of an open field.

It was a beautiful sight that night in Dog Patch!!!

The Hide Away House

Bushwacker, one of the houses we frequented had a bunker in the middle of the house built from green sand bags. Hidden next to the bunker was a secret hiding place built for hiding from MP raids.

The children of Dog Patch were it's "alarm system". The girls pay the kids to be their "MP Alarm". When they saw you guys coming they would start running around screaming "MP MP MP MP MP".

At that everyone would scramble into the secret hiding place. Most of the time there wasn't any time to put our clothes on so I though that was VERY rude of you guys.... ;-) there wasn't much space in that little spot, it got REALLY hot and sweaty in there while you guys walked around outside!!

One time one of the girls started getting clastrophobic. We had to put our hands over her mouth so you guys wouldn't here her screaming.

Did you guys ever find that hide out?

Hint: Coming from the front of the house, just as you walked down the hall past the bunker on the left there was a room which had a table against the left wall as you entered. Moving that table aside would expose the crack in the wall that would open the door to the hide out. We were able to pack 8 or so people in there.

Bob Home comes to Dog Patch, err Freedom Hill

I was just watching TV and they were showing re-runs of when Bob Hope came to Freedom Hill. I remember being one of the 1000's that attended that one....

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    MAN, O' MAN AL!! You've found your personal forum, to chat in! I'm jealous! That's OK, all that time, in the bush, finally got me 100%.....only took 40 years!!......SEMPER FI.......Doc Greek

I have too admit we had WAY too much fun for Marines in a war zone. But, in the end it wasn't us who assigned us to that job.

Actually I was VERY upset at ITR when I was the only Marine in the company to not be a grunt. When the sargent yelled out "3421" I had no idea what it was....

As a joke, a freind of mine and I took a class in high school to be around a bunch of cute girls toward the end of our senior year. While messing with the girls we also learned how to type, key punch and use calculators and adding machines.

I have no doubt that is why I was singled out. There must have been a call for Disbursing clerks when I graduated from boot camp....

As it turns out that one screw off class continued to have a major impact on my future.....

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Al....please don't take offence, to what I said. When I post in "Devil Doc's", hardly any response! At least you have something to share, with Bro's, who were there!....SEMPER FI.....Doc Greek

Na, of course not. When we get as old as we are we realize that it's important to hang on to any good memories we have and do our best to not think about the bad.

These guys talking about a B52 need to get their facts right. It wasn't a B52 it was a C141.
    No, it WAS a B-52. It had sustained a hydraulics failure and attempted an emergency 'landing' at DaNang. I was at the end (VMGR-152 SubUnit) of the runway when it went screaming by me. I thought 'Damn that's a big plane, and why isn't it in the air?'. I added to that instant thought 'And why the hell is the chute deployed!?'. Seconds later, it was sliding through the minefield, going up in explosions and flames. I witnessed the only survivor (tailgunner) being lifted off the tail section by the USAF Crash Helo. The tailgunner had grabbed onto the hanging fire extinguisher suspended below the helo and it lifted him off. The others perished. I've posted some photos (not much to recognise other than the tail) over on Together We Served.

That would have been July 8th, 1967. Af 22nd Bomb Wing B-52D Buno 56601.

Quote Originally Posted by dfglorso View Post
    I remember walking back to MAG 11 through dog patch in mass with other marines after the Bob Hope Show let out Xmas 1968. Yes dog patch was off limits, but walking was quicker than waiting for a duce and a half. The locals watch us pass in awh. Anyone else remember that day?

Semper Fi
    have pictures of this event if I knew how I would send them to you not all of them as they tended to go bad as it has been over 40 years.

Thread Information