Where do Marines really come from...?
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Where do Marines really come from...?

Just moments ago while I was reading thru another thread. Several other forum menbers made some suggestions. About what does it take on the inside to become a United States Marine.
    Is it something we all are born with...?
    Is it something we need help bringing out...?
    The questions although.........may have been a bit different then what I just posed, did go along those lines. It will be interesting to hear what others feel on this topic........thank you..Semper-Fi

This is really a good topic to discuss. I think it can be answered by the parents of Marines as well as those that earned the title. I strongly believe that there is something inside that starts years before the decision is made to become a Marine. Not everyone wants to be a Marine for obvious reasons. I wanted to be a Marine because i had to see if i was as tough as i thought i was. I knew if i could make it i would be the best. I was a fighter and a very competitive kid...maybe even a little arrogant (proud) and certainly high strung. The Marines know how to deal with this type of person and point them in the right direction. Oh yea, i had a direction problem no doubt. If it was easy to be a Marine then we would be called the many, the proud, the Marines!

I was born to face challenges. I'm not a Marine, but the biggest reason I want to earn the title is because I want to find out if I have what it takes. Everything I've ever done has been to fight like hell in an effort to be the best. I don't know that I have what it takes to fight on through any hardship, under any conditions. I do believe that I will find/learn/inherit this trait in San Diego this summer. I just want to walk the hard road, is that normal?

It's normal if you want to be a Marine DEPJon!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    DEPjon I believe that it is very normal. I wanted to be a Marine when I was fifteen. You know when the aunts and uncles and others would say "and Jimmy what do you want to be when you grow up?" I answered up a Marine because I want to fight with the best. It was not greeted by much enthusiasm by any of my family or friends out here on the left coast. "Dont you know there's a war and you can get killed?" In fact they thought I was crazy. But now in retrospect they know what I know it was the best decision I made in my entire life time. Now it is your turn to take the torch. Make us proud son.

I became a marine because of the challange. I stay a marine because of the love of corp instilled in me as a result of seeing that challange through to the end. S F

For me? I wanted my life( and death) to count for something. I have always felt a great burden placed on me by the sacrifices of the people of the past, and joining the Marines seemed to me the best place to try and pay back what I felt I owed.

and if you think that sounds strange or funny, I wish you could talk to my mom! even as young as nine years old, I was VERY concerned with ever being able to live up to the people who fought for us in all the wars. What MADE me like this? I don't know. Maybe it was because I was addicted to comic books and super heroes at a young age. Maybe it was because I loved the King Arthur and Robin Hood stories so much. does that make any sense at all?

Travelling right now, looking for a new home
    Credits
    Savings

Wink

Sure does, Jedi, I also was the comic buff. Believing in superheroes and the fact that they did truly exist. When I was eight, I believed that Marines were superheroes that regular people could be. If you didn't have x-ray vision, beams shooting from your eyes, superhuman strength, but who felt like making a heroic stand in this world, the Marines were the human choice. Could I do it, is it as hard as people say, how afraid will I be and will I fail? All human thoughts, all thoughts that many have pondered I'm sure. But it is the fear and the strength in us that helps us overcome, even in the most dire of times. Being afraid to fail is what pushes us beyond a point where some usually would stop. Of course it's hard, anything worth being a part of usually is, otherwise why try? It takes a certain individual that uses all these tools and their own intuition and strengths, to mold themselves into that Marine they see in the mirror. Into that Marine every other kid sees on a poster or on television. Into the next superhero for another child to admire.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Dang Grayshade... that's motivating... but entirely true. Am I the only one who gets psyched up by the recruiting commercials? (When's the next one coming?!)

Registered User Free Member Pel's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    my story has been called a tear jerker before... 3 and a half years ago I told myself and my friends that I would join the military, that day was September 11, 2001. September 12, 2001 I decided on the Marine Corps. I have worked constantly since than to push myself always forward towards it.

Pel

ummmm thats cool and all but how is that a tear jerker? not ragging on ya, Pel, just asking

Vietnam was going on and I had herad that two kids from my home town were killed over there. Although these kids were a bit older then I was, I knew them. they both were in my older brothers class. I feel if any one thing turned my head towards the Marine Corps. It was that........Oh I knew before that, if I went in the military it was going to be the Marine Corps.
    I just think that was the deciding factor,......when i'd go in...!!!

Like thousands of other kids.........I wanted...no I needed to know if they made a pair of dressblues that fit me.........Or if i'd fit into them........!!

I had my reservations about boot camp........if I could make the cut or not.......But thinking back..........It was when I finally realized if I don't go, and don't try.......and had to live with that for the rest of my live............To me that was 1000 time more horrific to have to face......could I have don't it...or what if.......etc,etc,.....Semper-Fi

Ill tell you what makes a Marine, Marines come in all shapes, sizes, and types, but we all have some things in common, Patriotism, love of Country, DEVOTION TO THE CORPS, our Corps values, our brotherhood, and knowing, that no matter what we do, where we go, or who we become, we are first and foremost US MARINES! Where do Marines come from? They come from sea to shining sea, around the globe, so to all the Marines out there that are Marine Corps Green with Scarlet and Gold running through their veins, HERES TO HEALTH TO YOU AND TO OUR CORPS, OORAH AND SEMPER FI!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    OORAH Cole11, it was not that long ago you were a poolee brother and my gawd what a transformation has occured! SEMPER FIDELIS you have made this old Marines day! God Bless You, keep it up and you will out rank me, those are words of leadership and well spoken. Well done Pfc, very well done indeed. You are a credit to your Drill Instructors as we all are.

Attention on deck poolees this is a true Marine, follow his example.

SEMPER FI STAFF SGT.!

Thread Information