Where do Marines really come from...? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Cole11........thats exactly............what I was hoping for when I started this thread................thank you Marine...Semper-Fi

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    I was arrogant, but not really cocky. I saw what the other services had to offer and I thought, "I can do better."

When I saw the Marine Recruiter, I thought, "Yes, this is it! I'm going to do my part with only the best!"

Registered User Free Member Pel's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Hardjedi, Sir. Im not too sure... girls are just an odd race eh?

Originally posted by Pel
    Hardjedi, Sir. Im not too sure... girls are just an odd race eh?
    LMAO!

you have NO idea PEl, but you are right. just wait till you MARRY one of em!

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Just figured I'd chime in here as of one the "odd raced" individuals

I'm not exactly sure if we are born with that Marine desire and instinct but I think there is a definite personality that is drawn to this line of work. I've always been an obsessive compulsive personality...I think that is what causes me to dive head first into whatever I set forth to achieve and not view failure as an option.

I chose the Marines because I want the hardest physical challenge I can get. I respect the Marine Corps for their values, no tolerance rule, and the toughness and discipline they instill in their Marines.

When my recruiter asked me why I chose Marines instead of Army or Air Force this is what I said: "whenever I meet an army member and hear about their boot camp experience, all I hear is tales of how 'it's soooo hard...oh my gosh...it sucked...you may not make it through...I was always tired....etc. etc.' and when I have spoken with Marines about boot camp, I tend to get a concise 'it was tough, I got through it.'"

I think that about says it all Oh and I ship out to boot camp Feb 21st!!! I can't wait!

KS-USMC...You are about to get your wish...good luck in boot camp and yes it will be tough but it will be more mental than physical and the physical part is hell....Semper Fi ! The Marine was in you all the time!!!

Registered User Free Member stivo's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Good Luck In Boot Camp There KC.
    Before I went to Boot, my recruiter told me that if I forget everything he told me, just remember one thing. Keep telling youself, IT WILL BEOVER BEFORE YOU KNOW IT. And that is the truth. Before you know it, you will be walking down that parade deck wearing our Blues.
    Good Luck Recruit

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks guys!!! I appreciate it...the days are closing in on me quickly but I feel mentally and physically prepared for it so I say BRING IT ON!

I don't doubt that I will face obsticles throughout this process that I could have never forseen but I'm just looking toward that Eagle, Globe and Anchor and warrior breakfast after the Crucible!! The light at the end of the tunnel

My Father (and his brother) were Marines.
    Always neat, squared away, proud and disciplined it just stood to reason that, if I were to enter the military, it would be the Marines.
    My Dad never pushed me to join. His influence was quiet.
    As a young man (teenager) I was witness to the events unfolding in Vietnam each day on the TV newscasts.
    Myself and 2 buddies talked about our floundering lives. 2 of us had quit high school and one was headed for trouble with his always breaking the law. Nothing serious, just a rebel.
    We all drove to the recruiting office together having made up our minds to join the Marines in spite of our thinking about the war. Vietnam was not much of an issue. At our ages, we were invinceable.
    My Father was damn proud. My joining the Marines would result in a much closer bond between he & I.

Where do Marines come from....??.
    For me it was my Dad's quiet influence of pride, integrity and Esprit De Corps coupled with the one mindedness of 3 friends.

Damn..it must be tough growing up when your Dad is a Marine!

One quality I remember is stubborness. Went through 10 weeks OCS and 6 months basic school. I know it wasn't as difficult as boot camp, but it was hard enough. What kept me from throwing in the towel? After all these years, 28 since OCS, I really believe it was that I was too stubborn to fail. When my DI looked me in the eye and ripped me apart, I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of failing, even though that would have been an awfully easy thing to do. Many people did, and the drop out rate both in OCS and boot camp is much higher than in other services.

Most Marines I have known will not admit failure, or defeat, they will fight though any obstacle and try to prevail. Anyone who looks at the history of the Marine Corps has to conclude that failure never was an option. That to me is a quality that is not taught in boot camp or OCS. It is a character trait that you either have or don't, and one that will in large part determine whether you make it through training or wash out.

Can't argue with that Captain! "will not admit failure, or defeat, they fight through any obstacle and try to prevail"....good post!

Credits
    Savings
    Well said!

The body tends to follow the minds programming so if you program it knowing that failure isn't an option, then the body will follow...you may not always know how it will follow or how you will make it, but the thoughts in your head play a large part in your success or failure.

The goal of the breaking down process seems in part to be that they push you hard enough physically until it has to become mental...and that is when you shine (for those who are meant to be Marines) or fail (for those who aren't).

Yea, something like that KS.."push you enough physically until it has to become mental". aka 2nd nature!

Would love to get some input from DI's on this. What do they try to accomplish during boot camp or OCS? Do you try to push trainees hard enough to get the ones who would quit later on when the going gets tough to quit during training. That persopective would be very helpful to this thread.

Thread Information