Knees
Create Post

Thread: Knees

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Knees

Figured I could get some good real-world input here...

Ever since I got back from boot, I've been noticing that my knees have been acting up... if they're compressed/bent for too long, or on certain days for no particular reason, they'll either start to heat up and get stiff, or give me some mild pain in the joints... this has been happening with increasing frequency, and while it's not really anything that bothers me now, I'm just curious if this is a precursor to more problems in the future?

Anyone have any experience with this?

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    HOT shower. Let the spray work your knees. And don't do anything else in the shower. I heard you could go blind.

No really at your age knees should not be a problem. Keep an eye on it.

This works great massage them with yes,
    W D -40
    You will be surprised at what it can do to help

Registered User Free Member killer1on1's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    i think no matter what you do your knees are going to be shot....dont worry about it and definately dont get surgery on them whatever you do it will just make them worse!!! if your knees are hurting that means pain is leaving the body thats all! Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Meyer

Yeah this same malady befell me after boot camp also but to a larger extent as the years went by. When I bend or compress my knee's for a long period my right knee will lock in that position and it is quite painfull to try to get it unlocked. It started the way yours did but over the years it got worse. I even went the emergency room once and all they did was give me an elephant injection of valium and heating wrap and sent me home and said if it isnt better in a week make an appointment. The VA told me that the condition is much the same as when a baseball pitcher throws his arm out from over use and continuous muscle stress and over extension. I will however try the WD-40 idea it cant hurt and may even be very theraputic.

Jim

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Appreciate the advice, Marines... I figured if ANYONE would know about joint problems, it'd be this bunch...

Field Ex. next week, that will be motivating, esp. if we get some live ammo for the 240. "Err" for being on advance party roster.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Dammit Meyer, you kow we love you and hope for the best in your career! But a 19-20 year old with knee problems is not something to take lightly. Knee problems shold only affect us 40-60 yrs olds. Not you!

Lightbulb

Yellowwing is so right...a young man your age does not usually have knee problems unless there is a congenital problem such as "condromalacia patellae". It means your kneecaps are messed up and really needs to be checked out by a knowledgeable orthopedic physician. I found out the hard way that surgery doesn't really do that much good because it does come back. There is a new drug called "Synvisc" which is injected for three weeks and does help some people. It didn't work for me but my hubby says it has worked both times he had the series. Physical therapy can help but the only way to be sure is to have it checked out. I'd try the WD-40...can't hurt..
    Semper Fi.... Arlene

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yeah it seems a little strange to me too. I really appreciate the help though. Right now it seems almost ridiculous to even bring this up, it only comes around once in a while, but I've seen too many guys get screwed over by something that could've been fixed if it'd been caught early... guess it's made me a little gun shy. Thanks again... Keep y'all posted.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Livin,After you put on the WD-40 wrap both your knees in duct tape.WD-40,duct tape and a hammer is all that you need in your 1st Aid Kit. Semper-Fi! Chuck Hall Seriously,I agree with Ed,try the WD-40 can't hurt.You may need some GOJO to get it off.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Sorry to hear about your knees, LivinSoFree. The duct tape, WD-40 and hammer should do it. LOL
    I've got bad knees myself. I figure two things ruined my knees. One was the Catholic Church and the second was my first marriage. I wish that I had known about WD-40, duct tape and hammer back then.
    Take care.

Credits
    Savings
    WD-40? Really?

The back of my right knee got swollen Sat night and hurt to a point that I couldnt even run on Sunday. Mind you, I just spent the first week running since 1988 and I'm 40 (still in denial).

Got up to running 1 mile straight in one week, which is good considering that when I started, I couldnt run 1/4 mile. Saturday, I ran 1 mile, walked .5 mile, then ran another .5 mile. Then did windsprints. That seemed to be when it started.

The swelling seems to have gone down but I'm still stiff.

Why am I doing this you ask? Trying to get back into USMCR with a 1st Class PFT and trying to lose about 20 pounds to get to my Marine Corps authorized weight (176 - from 205lbs).

WD-40, eh? I'll try it then.

I have been out for over 20 years and still have problems with one knee, even found out last year that i broke the large bone in foot, the DR. asked me what i was doing 20+ years ago...........hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! jumping off helos, amtracs, buildings, etc, etc.

snipowsky
    Guest Free Member
    Get used to it Marine! It doesn't get better with age!

Thread Information