Redeye / Stinger Gunners
Create Post

Redeye / Stinger Gunners

Any Redeye or Stinger gunners out there? Served with 2nd Redeye Platoon, 3rd LAAM Bn. 1980-1982.

yes, I was a redeye gunner 69-75
    29 "stumps" and El Toro and to FMF Pac

Quote Originally Posted by redeyegunner1
    yes, I was a redeye gunner 69-75
    29 "stumps" and El Toro and to FMF Pac
    I was in 78-82, went to school at Ft. Bliss, El Paso, TX. Where did you go to school, the Stumps? Was that MASS-1 at Pendleton?

Da "Stumps"

Yep,
    Went to Redeye School at the "Stumps" in early 70.
    Redeye 1st and 3rd Redeye Platoons. Attached to, LAAM Bat. Later Redeye moved up to MCAS El Toro. Attached to Marine Air Control Group 38.
    Was deployed to Vietnam in April 72 and returned August 72. Attached to 3 Mar Div and 7th Fleet. Went through Jungle Training in the PI.
    Most of our time there, Fire teams was put on Navy Destroyers and did the Gun Line up and down the North and South Vietnam shore line. I am not sure if any Redeye Missiles were launched while we was there. We train onboard gunnersmates and others how to use Redeye. During this time we were transfered between ships in combat areas. Didn't think those Navy guys was gett'en shot at, boy was I wrong...

Well thats a short history of my time in Redeye. I ended up being a Platoon Sgt. for the 1st Platoon.

If you know of any Marines that I may have been in with, please let me know.

Go to ************* and type in "redeye" under units searches and there are quite a few guys listed there from your years served, most of then have contact info as well. My platoon was deployed to Gitmo in 1980 during the mariel boatlifts, they (Cuba) LANDED a Mi-6 helo on the basebal field at Gitmo and they (U.S.) literally didn't have any air defense, so we were flown in for 19 days with live Redeyes and rules of engagement, god forsaken place.......

Later brother.

Was With 2nd Redeye @ El Toro 74 -76
    and 3rd Redeye @ Okinawa 76-77

did a cax at 29 palms in 1977,78 had a couple of you redeye gunners ride with us ... grunts didn't like either one of us

Redeye Deployment

Quote Originally Posted by lucien2 View Post
    Any Redeye or Stinger gunners out there? Served with 2nd Redeye Platoon, 3rd LAAM Bn. 1980-1982.

1st Redeye Platoon, 2ndLAAM Bn., MCB 29 Palms, Ca. 1969-1971.

Quote Originally Posted by redeyegunner1 View Post
    Yep,
    Went to Redeye School at the "Stumps" in early 70.
    Redeye 1st and 3rd Redeye Platoons. Attached to, LAAM Bat. Later Redeye moved up to MCAS El Toro. Attached to Marine Air Control Group 38.
    Was deployed to Vietnam in April 72 and returned August 72. Attached to 3 Mar Div and 7th Fleet. Went through Jungle Training in the PI.
    Most of our time there, Fire teams was put on Navy Destroyers and did the Gun Line up and down the North and South Vietnam shore line. I am not sure if any Redeye Missiles were launched while we was there. We train onboard gunnersmates and others how to use Redeye. During this time we were transfered between ships in combat areas. Didn't think those Navy guys was gett'en shot at, boy was I wrong...

Well thats a short history of my time in Redeye. I ended up being a Platoon Sgt. for the 1st Platoon.

If you know of any Marines that I may have been in with, please let me know.

I was the Platoon Sgt. during the deployment to Vietnam. We left Subic Bay aboard the USS Camden, AOE-2, and later transfered to various Destroyers to train Navy personnel. Are you Earl?

3rd Redeye Platoon

I was a member of the original 3rd Redeye. We trained with the General Dynamics civilian personnel at 29 Palms from July to September 1966 and shipped out with the 1st Redeye to Okinawa and were attached to Hdqtr. Co., 9th MAB at Camp Hansen (originally Camp Schwab). The 1st & 3rd rotated back to 29 Palms in Sept 1967. Me and a few other extended our tour for transfer to RVN. I finished my four years as a Sgt. Instructor at OCS, Quantico in 1968. Platoon CO was a Lt. S. Patton & Platoon Sgt. was S/Sgt Grey. I am now a practicing attorney in NJ and can be reached at jascoli@skenelawfirm.com
    Ascoli, J. A.
    Sgt., USMC

Redeye Gunners

I am looking for Marines that were attached to the Redeye Gunner unit in Twenty Nine Palms and El toro from 1969 to 1972

I was a Redeye Gunner

I was a Redeye Gunner from 1969 to 1971, I went to Redeye School and was with the unit when it transferred to El Toro.
    My name is Cpl Tatemaybe we know each other.

I think we do then I was there with Conway, Mendoza, and Hernandez

I served in with 2nd Redeye 77-78, 79-80, 82-83 and 3rd 78-79 and 81-82. Anyone I may know out there? I am wondering what everyone is doing now?

Thread Information