Corps Values
Create Post

Thread: Corps Values

Corps Values

In Combat I saw Marines do heroic things; life-death decisions in the midst of battle. There was never a lack of leadership during those tense and dangerous situations. No matter the rank Marines performed in an outstanding manner, but their deeds was never mentioned in conversations that followed, much less in recognition in awards, or medals.

That was what made those Marines heroes in my mind, brave Marines that received that recognition by their peers, and that was one of the highest honor they could have received.

Committed to doing what a Marine must do under extreme and dangerous situations was a common bond we shared, during those times.

Some of those values taught in the Corps but forged in war and since then we have followed those values throughout life.

What Corps Values have you encountered, believe in, that have become part of your life, in the Corps and in your daily life?

How do we define those values?

In Combat I saw Marines do heroic things; life-death decisions in the midst of battle. There was never a lack of leadership during those tense and dangerous situations. No matter the rank Marines performed in an outstanding manner, but their deeds was never mentioned in conversations that followed, much less in recognition in awards, or medals.

That was what made those Marines heroes in my mind, brave Marines that received that recognition by their peers, and that was one of the highest honor they could have received.

Committed to doing what a Marine must do under extreme and dangerous situations was a common bond we shared, during those times.

Some of those values taught in the Corps but forged in war and since then we have followed those values throughout life.

What Corps Values have you encountered, believe in, that have become part of your life, in the Corps and in your daily life?

Honor, Courage, Committment, are some of those values, what do these and the other values you cherish as a Marine mean to you?

Just thinking out loud...

They mean a lot and I carried those values into civilian life and have had to fall back on them many times to achieve those things in life that were important to me. To be the best at what you do and never (ever) quit ring loud and clear. To stand tall when the going gets tough without regard to my own personal safety and well being come to mind. In Vietnam we acted on instinct and got the job done and it was all about doing what we were taught to do....no time to second guess..no time to worry about getting killed...just time to keep proving that you can't be stopped and you will win. No time to be a hero..medals didn't matter. Taking care of your brothers did matter and found the time for that. No jungle or combat zone now...but if I see one again, I'll be ready... I treat life like a series of combat zones..not a series of happenings...it worked for me and I still am a Marine.

Sometimes Corps values

Are those that compel us to do what is right, no matter what the cost!

To stand alone, and support those that has been wronged.

I have often taken a hit, because of those basic Corps values where I stood for others who were not able to speak for themselves or for some reason were signaled out because they did not agree with those in authority over them. Those values learned in the Corps have been with me since I left Boot Camp. They were with me when I was on the police force, in politics and in my military associations.

At the local Vietnam Veterans of American local chapter, veterans were removed from membership because they asked questions that were uncomfortable to administration. Because of that and our local school board issues, my name has been printed in our local press in less then in the best of light because I challenged those elected officials and those in authority who allowed their positions to silence the voice of those they had control over. I don’t regret that. It’s an issue the local school board will address in tonight’s meeting.

Association with that type of administrators in the VVA Chapter was not what I wanted to be identified with, so I stepped down, it also happened with our local Chamber of Commerce as well as with Vietnam Veterans of America, Chapter 47 in Riverside.

Maybe it was those Marine Corps values that caused me to step down, and moved on with life. Later, their chapter suffered greatly as many members left when they realized how they were used only as numbers, and as members they did not have a say-so in the chapter. That chapter remains under the control of the chapter’s treasurer’s wife, who has a say so more powerful then a Vietnam Veterans vote. It’s a shame, but it was those Marine Corps values, I learned in the Corps that prevented me form continuing my association with them.

That local chapter was run by wannabees and associates that had never seen combat but like one lady said to other members; I have the power to get rid of Cook and will use it. With her husband being the chapter’s president, she did. LOL

Funny, I remember that day quite well. They had a picnic and I brought some peaches and pound cake as my donation to the banquet. And not one of the chapter’s administrators understood what they represented to the Vietnam Veteran.

Some Corps Values are deep inside and mean more then a name on a board. I walked away and haven't been back since.

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings
    Accomplish the Mission;
    When tasked with something, at work, follow the SOP, till it doesn't work. Then... get the job done.
    'Think outside the box' is a 'buzz phrase' in buisness these days. I've always done it.

Take care of the troops;
    When in Management, I was tasked with the numbers, THAT was the mission. Look out for your employees, treat them fair, step up FOR them when needed, and they would be there for you. If they wern't... I found other employees.

Be there, be dependable;
    You are committed to something, be there ready to rock and roll. Others will be depending on you.

Take your lumps;
    When you screw up, don't follow the SOP, get called on the carpet, whatever ... nothing takes the wind away from a butt chewing like saying 'Yep, I did it because...'

Attention to detail;
    In todays work force, when 'medeocrity' is the norm, above average looks OUTSTANDING. Attention to detail covers YOUR six, when others want yor a$$, just because your shine brighter than them.

Core Values;
    To thine own self be true. I lost the best job I ever had, because I stood to my guns, my values of performance, and expectations from others. It stepped on toes. But as I was walking out the door, everyone else respected me for it, even those I didn't respect. It got me good reports and work later on.

Just do it;
    Sometimes, you don't have to like it, just do it, and it's done. Do it right, and you don't have to do it over. "IT DON'T MEAN NUTTIN"

The list could go on....

I'm listening to C-Span

and Condoleezza Rice's confirmation hearing for Secretary of State.

One of the individual there is US Senator George Allen from Virginia. It felt good to see him there and perhaps one day I'll meet him.

When he ran for that position, it was Marine Corps values that had me support him against then US Senator Charles S. Robb, who was my company commander in Vietnam, but Robb had lied, deceived the public and made statements that were lies about incidents that had not occurred in combat.

He stated two Marines had died in his arms but that was a lie. He made those statement for political reasons, but later changed his story once I exposed him. I exposed those lies and some Marines questioned my loyalty to the Corps, because of that.

But Corps values mean Semper Fi, not blind support.

Yap, it felt good to see a US Senator seated in such an important position, and I feel I helped elect him to that position, even though the press in Virginia tried to nail me to the wall... LOL

I had never been to Virginia but there was my pretty picture (well sort of) on the front page of several of their most noted state newspapers.

LOL

Hey Cook...you started this thread and then you went AWOL...I think you are setting a new record... 4 days and no posts from Sparrowhawk. Anyone know where he is?

"to do what it right, no mater what the cost"....Marines are trained to react and rise to the occasion on command without pondering the outcome...why is that so? Does that carry over into civilian life? Could that be a good and bad thing at the same time? Maybe Cook could answer that? Where the hell are you by the way?

CONFIRMED!!!

My only problem is remembering everyone else aint a MARINE!!

Semper Fi!! my brothers

Thread Information