What is a Marine's purpose? - Page 2
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

No One Misinterprets you Bones!

NO ONe Misinterprets what you say Bones.

We just dont understand what you say! LMAo

Hey, bro. Break out yer hillbilly dictionary....

The only other option you have is to believe me when I say that my thinkin' is so far above the norm as to be absolutely amazing in yer eyes! LMAOROTF

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	some say wise i am.jpg‎
Views:	297
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	1410  

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I tried explaining to my mother that that's what Marines do and that's what I want to do. She doesn't understand it though. She says that I should just get a regular job . I want a job that stands for something and does more than pay me in money. I want a job that I can be proud of and a job that will change who I am forever. I want to be a Marine plain and simple.

During Rifle Team this morning, Major talked to me for an hour straight on how I was smart enough to get an ROTC scholarship at a local university (University of Washington) and that I could get a full-ride one too. (The man's like a second grandfather to me.) It sounded great and all, but I really don't know. I have a fear of being stuck behind a desk or thinking I know it all when I'm 24 or 25. I don't want to be the jerk that bosses around guys twice his own age and treats them like crap. I want to experience enlisted life first to relate to any man that I may be leading to his death. I know that if I were to follow someone to my death, they better have gone through the same stuff and had the same feelings as me back in the day. I want to be able to lead, yes, no question about it. But I don’t want to lead from a distance. I would rather lead in the field.

Any suggestions? I'm currently a junior in high school and looking at all of my options. I'll be sure to talk to the Major and Gunny as well.

Thanks guys,
    C/SSgt Seeley

Registered User Free Member Barrio_rat's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Seeley....

First off, in regards to your mother, you may want to explain how the Marine Corps will help mold you as a human, not train you to be a killer. Day in and day out, Marines train. When they put that training into practice, people die. We have more hours of training than we do of war over the past 227 years. The Marine Corps, as I'm sure you know but you may wish to stress to your mother, helps a person with discipline, maturity (there can be some argument here but over all, it's correct), leadership and basic life skills. It also gets you out of the house and on your own. Something many of your peers will not be doing, even if they do go to college.

UW is an excellent school and something to consider. Though I gave up a scholarship when I went in. I gave it up because I was tired of school and wanted to get on with my life. I had no desire to be an officer. My personal choice. However, I did not make that choice because I thought being an officer would make me somewhat less as a person or as a Marine. I chose to be enlisted because that was MY best option for ME at that time. Few if any boot lieutenants get "stuck" behind a desk. Many officers who are behind a desk do much more than just make sure all the papers look good while they sit there. They are in charge of Marines. They are tasked with missions every day that they must accomplish though the use of those Marines. They also have the added burden of ensuring the safety, moral, discipline and general well being of their Marines. No matter how great or small the unit is. Leadership has to start somewhere and the Marine Corps does it's best to make leaders of young men. To go through college and ROTC at the same time is no easy task. It takes much more dedication than the average college student. "Leading from a distance" is not one of the traits they teach. Every deployment I have been on, where my OIC was also part of the deployment, he was right there with us. He did not just stand around and look good, he helped accomplish the mission. He worked. Granted, as the rank of the officer gets higher there is more separation but that's true even of the enlisted ranks. I would suggest you look at the reasons you do or don't want to be an officer or enlisted. It almost sounds like you don't want the challenge. I'm not going to tell you what you think, just that this is the impression I got from reading your post. Look at your reasons for each one. Go with the positive. Do you want to be an officer? Do you want to go to college and become a leader of Marines? Do you want the responsibility of command? Do you think you can command the respect of Marines? On the other hand, do you want to be enlisted? Do you want to be at the bottom of the pile looking up? Do you want to be a leader of Marines? Do you think you can command the respect of your peers? Look to what YOU want to do. Do not look at which one has a lame downside. Just because most of the people on this site are or have been enlisted does not mean that being an officer isn't a good thing. It is very noble. To some, it is the highest honor. That the United States Marine Corps chose YOU and decided that YOU were worthy to not only wear the Eagle, Globe and Anchor but also to be a leader of Marines. If you have the drive and determination to go through school and ROTC to become a 2nd lieutenant, then go for it. If you have the drive and determination to make the best Pvt and later to learn the skills that will put you at the right hand of a lieutenant and be in charge of Marines, then go for that. There are so many variables in what you may do as an enlisted or as an officer that it could never be fully explained. Even those of us who have done it don't know all that it entails because we have not done EVERYTHING in the Marine Corps. Ask questions of your Major and your SgtMaj. Find out why they each chose the path they did and what they did on those paths. You may be very surprised at their answers. You could probably also ask questions of the officers that are on this site. I'm sure they'd be willing to tell you of their experiences and how they dealt with some of the same questions and concerns you have.

A quick story for you. When I signed up, I told my recruiter that I wanted to be in the Air Wing and that I didn't want to be a "grease monkey." Left very few options for him. Thorn that I was, he showed me the list. Ordnance. That sounded very cool to me. To blow things up. It just sounded Marine! After my A School and having my MOS changed on me twice, I went to Camp Pendleton for my B and C schools and OJT. My first day of OJT I had to pack grease into the biggest bearing I'd ever seen. So, as it turns out, I was a grease monkey. I was just a grease monkey that got to blow things up. Things are not always as they seem, so don't be so quick to judge unless you have seen the rates and ranks across the board, doing what it is that they do. The movies tend to show officers as either bumbling fools or as distant uncaring leaders. This was never the case when I was in or a trait that I saw from any officer. While I may not have liked all of them, I would have followed all of them - and I did.

I hope this helps. Good luck and Semper Fi!

Registered User Free Member gemntx's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

What to do?

Excellant advice, Rat. Listen to him, he has spoken some sage words of advice. Remember one thing, the Marine Corps is the only service where all of its' members earn the title. None of the other services can claim this. You will not find an officer of the Army, Air Force or Navy being called a soldier, airman or sailor. They did not earn those titles. I will guarantee you that every Marine Officer earned the title of Marine. I went to school on a ROTC scholarship. It is competitive and you will be tested. However, once you succeed not only will you have a commission, but you will have a degree that can serve you well after life in the Corps. Like Rat said, you will have to decide. The challenges are different, but still fulfilling. Don't worry about being behind a desk. If you have a combart arms or combat support MOS you will spend alot time in the FMF. Explore the opportunities, only you can decide what to do. As for you mother, don't worry with time she will understand. When I told my mother that I was going to be a Marine, she cried. Her only consolation was when she said, "At least they have the best looking uniforms." She will find a reason to support you.

Glenn

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thank you both for helping me toward my decision. I do want to lead Marines. I want to be the best that I can be which is always a growing goal. I passed up my chance on the PSAT's which was probably a stupid idea, but I'm sure that I will do fine on the SAT's. I will try to do the "Running Start" program where I can attend certain college classes during high school for both high school and college credits at the same time. I almost passed it last year (aced the English portion) but did horribly in math (it was Algebra III/IV and I was in Geometry).

I will be sure to talk to my Major and Gunny about it as well as my recruiters who seemed interested in giving me a scholarship. Who knows, maybe in a few years I'll be able to call myself a leader of Marines .

I'd like to thank everyone that posted in this thread for doing so. It gave me, a civilian with a drive to earn the title, a look at the reality of the Corps and all armed forces. It's a reality that the books and websites don't tell you much about.

Jess

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    I think the last post adds a reason for we Marines being here.

Bump!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Time to bump it again firstsgtmike.

I feel now a days schooling is first and upmost. I joined the Corps at 17 in 1968. my mos was 0311 and I had Westpac orders after P.I. so I tried for Recon and made Battlion Recon with 1st recon company A 0321. Now after many years I felt I should of went to college first. I have no regets , but felt I could of offered the Corps and myself more had I gone to collage first. This is my personal opinion.
    Reddog4950

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wwllddog.gif‎
Views:	177
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	2773  

Many of the younger people who visit sites like this consider the Marine Corps and other military services to be a game that is played for their benefit. The often think that their education will end when they join a branch of the service. They often display a lack of consideration for the experiences of Marines who've been in combat where it is always kill or be killed. They have no respect for others who've sacrificed immeasureably to support those directly in the line of fire.
    Speak for yourself.

From my point of view, not having experience in the marine corp. life, is that the purpose of the marines is to protect your country within all power that you may have. Your fighting to protect another person's life and your willing to die to save theirs. Your willing to put your own life at risk to save another. No matter the credit or so, your just fighting to defend your country from any harm or danger. Your standing up for what you believe in and giving it your all. In all mind, i have no right to say anything but voice my opinion. and you'll be surprised about this because in any case i am only 16. yet i have more acknowledgment then most of you do. no offense. because my dream is to be in the marines and it's my civics rights duty to defend what i believe in.

Hrm, a 5 year necro? From a original post 7 years ago?

If you want to discuss something similar, make a new thread. These are words well gone by and there's no reason to debate what the OP thoughts and intents were now... 7 years later.

Mods, Lock please?

Thread Information