What is a Marine's purpose?
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is a Marine's purpose?

This is for the DEPers and Poolees and wannabes. Those who are serious about an enlistment in the Marine Corps.

What is a Marine's purpose in life?

Killing people. Plain and simple. The purpose of any Armed service throughout the ages has been to win battles. Winning battles requires several things in life. One is the willingness to kill your opponent by whatever means neccesary. This means you must be better trained, better motivated and know the cause for which you fight, is at heart, just and true. At it's basis, in any field of battle, it is the willingness to kill...or be killed.

Many Marines have spent years learning all that they can in order to become better at what they do than anyone else on the planet. Some of the greatest warriors and Generals in history have been United States Marines. They learned hand to hand combat, squad and small unit tactics. They learned logistics and planning, they learned to handle regiment and division size forces. They learned how to handle any piece of equipment that they or their enemies had in their arsenal. They learned seamanship. They learned geography. They learned defensive manuevers. They learned guerilla warfare. They learn to care deeply for their men. They learn the history of any potential foe, years before any conflict arises between them. They learn politics. They keep up on current events. They learn history and the history of warfare. They spend their entire lives dedicated to one thing. Learning how to defeat their enemies.

The best known Marine who ever did this was a man called Lewis B. Puller. LtGeneral, USMC.

Registered User Free Member Barndog's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Marines have another purpose, once having served.
    That purpose is to bond with other former Marines - so that keeping the tradition alive and thriving, will become the same second nature as it did when we wore the uniform together.
    I also think, it is our purpose, that when we are out in public -that if we encounter an active duty Marine in uniform, out of line in public: it is our duty and responsibility to professionally correct him or her. I don't know about you guys, but this has happened to me a few times. And I will not let my uniform be disgraced.

MY $1.258

Semper Fidelis

Barndog

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member

DAMNIT BONES

Damnit Bones,

I AM a Marine. If my purpose in life was to kill people, today I would start with YOU!

The purpose of an armed service is first and foremost to preserve the peace and protect the homeland.

I have NO PROBLEMS with anything in your post following the words "Winning battles". I agree with all of it.

I do NOT agree that a Marines purpose in life is to kill people. Therefore, if I must defend my position against someone who disagrees with me, I will defend it against YOU, on behalf of the the active duty Marines, DEPers, poolees, and wannabees.

Fortunately, for both of us, you are there, and I am here. Otherwise, a Marine's word is the promise of a Marine.

Semper Fi

I always thought our purpose is to HUMP..on or off duty

grunts brain on Liberty
    http://www.usmc0311.com/images/bin/malebrain.gif
    "get sum"

Well, well, well.

Winning battles without killing people. What a concept. I am not educated in all things concerning military history, but I do seem to remember a Civil War General who did just that.....Some of the most brilliant manuevering of an army in military history. However his mission was to destroy the army opposing him. He was replaced.

Some other General said that it wasn't our purpose to die for our country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his.

General "Chesty" Puller thought that in battle one of the more effective indicators of a unit's willingness to fight was it's percentage of losses, ie. on one island he bragged that losses in battle of the officers in the unit he commanded was in excess of 25%. To give Chesty credit, he was also very good at strategy and tactics. He got the job done, which is why he was often given the most difficult positions and jobs in the battles he participated in.

In war people die. On both sides of the conflict.

To prepare for war takes ongoing education, preparations of all kinds, and self education concerning all things military and all things concerning your enemy.

If you are not ready to kill people in the enemy army, they will most certainly kill you.

All other support missions in any army are to ensure that men and materials are there that other men might die.

Preserving the peace is the mission of diplomats and politicians. The use of military force is a tool of diplomacy. It is used when all other means have failed.

Our nation is a Democratic Republic. It is not a homeland. When it becomes a homeland, we have forgotten our purpose. We are no longer free men then, struggling to protect freedom, but have become the protectors of oligarchy, in which the few are protected and served by the many.

Many of the younger people who visit sites like this consider the Marine Corps and other military services to be a game that is played for their benefit. The often think that their education will end when they join a branch of the service. They often display a lack of consideration for the experiences of Marines who've been in combat where it is always kill or be killed. They have no respect for others who've sacrificed immeasureably to support those directly in the line of fire. In many battles that this nation has fought, the front lines were often buttressed with Marines who began the fight in a support mission.

Killing people on the field of battle is what armies do.

The Marine Corps has always been better at this than others.
    If they are not ready to study war and the tools of war;
    If they are not ready to kill people, they have no place in any branch of the armed forces.

One other thing, First Sergeant,

I understand that in a free and democratic society, that there are legal consequences for threatening a man's life...you might reconsider your statement was phrased. In a homeland, you may not have much to worry about, being a member of it's military establishment

Registered User Free Member Barrio_rat's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Purpose of the Military....

As I see it...

Bones and firstsgtmike, ya both are right. The purpose of the USMC and US Military is to train. To be ready to go forth when the president calls upon us. The idea of the modern US Military is to keep and preserve peace through a show of force. That has often worked. But the "show of force" is no good if it's only a bluff that you cannot back up with swift and exacting measures of violence. Yes, killing, maiming, destroying and, if ya got a big enough piece of ordnance, obliterating. It does not mean that any Marine or other military service member WANTS to kill. Most assuredly they don't WANT to die. They have a job to do. If they are lucky, they will go through their time of service and never be in harms way. Yet, I'd hope, they will forever be training and ready for just such a situation. If people in the military are not prepared for the possibility of being in harms way and taking the life of another, then the purpose of the military would be self defeating. Even in the kinder/gentler transition during the mid 80's, in boot camp, we constantly were spouting off.. KILL KILL KILL... BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW. We sang cadence glorifying our possible deaths and the deaths of any enemy we may encounter. This helped to create a mind set for taking a life, if the need arose. If what I'm stating here doesn't make any sense, then I'll just leave you with this.

My Rifle

by Unknown

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must
    shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me.
    I will...

My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our
    burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its
    weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will ever guard it
    against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against damage. I will keep my rifle clean and ready. We will become part of each
    other. We will...

Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are
    the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!

Semper Fi!

firstsgtmike Get real

A Marine's primary duty, is TO KILL!

It's what he has been trained for. To kill our enemies, not fellow Marines, firstsgtmike!

That is what all our training was for, that was our duty and what w were trained for, to kill.

Plain and simple.

"The only feeling I had in war, when I pulled the trigger on my M-60 machine gun in battle, and saw the enemy go down, was the feeling of recoil from my weapon." USMC Machine Gunner William Jett CAC unit Marine in Nam.

QUOTES:
    Bones:What is a Marine's purpose in life?
    Barndog:Marines have another purpose, once having served. That purpose is to bond with other former Marines - so that keeping the tradition alive and thriving,
    Firstsgtmike:I AM a Marine. If my purpose in life was to kill people, today I would start with YOU!
    USMC0311:I always thought our purpose is to HUMP..on or off duty
    Barrio_rat:
    Bones and firstsgtmike, ya both are right. The purpose of the USMC and US Military is to train. To be ready to go forth when the president calls upon us.
    Sparrowhawk:A Marine's primary duty, is TO KILL!

I think Barndog, Barrio_rat and Myself came closest

the ORIGINAL Question was What is a Marine's purpose?

OK,

You boys called it. I'm done with it.

Too many .... up close and very personal

Closer than my monitor.

However I don’t see where anyone is glorifying killing, the killing process, only what we did at that time, and what we felt.

Marines that have killed in war, remain today some of the most protectors of life and value life more than those who have never had to fight for life.

I don't regret ever killing a gook. I remember more the number of dead Marines than the dead enemies that fell under my M-60. yes I saw them fall, saw the impact of the bullet as it struck the enemy shooting at me and at other Marines.

On May 31, 1968 there were 14 of themson-*****es in front of my melted machine gun barrel. I'll never forget that day.

They were just 30-40 feet from me, and yes I saw them go down, and saw their blasted faces, and the damage a 7.62 does.

I also remember dead Marines to my left and some dead Marines still sitting upright in the trucks where the convoy had been ambushed. I remember many wounded Marines to my right and left from Charlie 1/7 and from the truck convoy that had been ambushed, who were killed or wounded trying to get more m-60 ammo to where I was.

Both of 1/7’s Machine gunners had already been killed or wounded. I have always wanted to find out who they were. I had gotten separated from my unit that day while we responded to their call for help. And I ended up fighting alongside some very brave Marines that day.

PHOTOS ARE FROM MY FILE

from Operation Foster

http://cookbarela.bizland.com/deadgook1.jpg

http://cookbarela.bizland.com/deadgook2.gif

Some of the NVA sappers

That attacked a Vietnamese village and killed civilians on November 8, 1967.

This was the reason why we launched Operation Foster.

Moments after this picture was taken one of our tanks, rolled over the bodies, twisted and turned on top of them until they were no longer distinguishable as human being, then the tank rolled out into the rice paddies to get the body parts off of its tracks.

That’s what war is like. Now what did the gooks do to Marines they killed in war. I won't post here.

I have never regretted having killed any of them.

http://cookbarela.bizland.com/villagenov8.jpg

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member

APOLOGY

To Bones;

Please accept my apology. It is humble and sincere. My only defense is that I forgot that bantor that is acceptable between friends sharing a beer has a different impact when it is in print.

Face to face, I enjoy debating ideas and philosophies. Sometimes, when friends are saying "Yes", I'll say "No" just to get a discussion going and the beer flowing.

In this case, my printed remark appeared to be a threat. For that, I apologize. I apologize to you and to all who read it. I have asked Shaffer to delete it. I hope he does.

The point I was lamely trying to make was that YES, we must be ready, willing, and able to do whatever it takes, but we should not consider it a wasted day if at the end of the day there is no blood on our knife.

A mortician would disagree with me on that. But a doctor wouldn't.

Again, I apologize for the tenor of my remarks to you. I should have been the one to delete it BEFORE I sent it.

Semper Fi

First Sergeant Mike.

No problem Marine. Yer buying! LOL.

I've often had my words misinterpreted in these forums as well.
    as well.

I do understand.

Thread Information