Hazing or tradition
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User Free Member JAG5150's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Unhappy Hazing or tradition

There has been a lot of media lately about the topic of hazing. I have seen some of the footage and I will say that some of it has gone too far. On the other hand where does it end? What about traditions ie. walking the gauntlet when you pick up your blood stripes, wog day, getting pinned at promotions, etc.. I think that the senior Officers or NCO's need to be in control, not momma or congress. I could be wrong but I don't think so!

Credits
    Savings
    I just wanted to get some other opinions on this subject.

femalemarine_89
    Guest Free Member
    I have to agree with you Jag. I think tradition needs to stay, but you have those few individules who like to do it their own way. I say dont let momma or congress decide until they have walked in the shoes and have experienced tradition like it should be..

Sgt. Smitty
    Guest Free Member
    Traditions need to be continued, but not to the extent that they get outa hand........when i made Cpl. I got my blood stripe...literally....my metal chevrons were "pinned" onto my shoulders without the covers on the pins....ahhhhhh, the good ol days.......needless to say i had to 86 one of my t-shirts, but i walked tall as hell that day, and still do to this day......Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings

Wink Icould be wrong but I don't think so

I remember well the day that I was pinned by my first shirt and walking that gauntlet to get my blood stripes it was good. But not as good as standing in the gauntlet.

Sgt. Smitty
    Guest Free Member
    LMAO JAG

Ditto Ditto and Ditto some more. As Marines, we need to be proud of our history and traditions, However, me must also police our own. As stated earlier, its up to the senior enlisted and our officers to keep us in check. I can't imagine what it would have been like at a promtion without the "hazing", it is was what we expected. Keep the moms and political types out of our fun!

Yeah well, here's my opinion on all of that. pink bellies, wog, shellback, silly things like that that cause no real damage or harm are all in good fun. anything that physically HURTS someone, just to "initiate" them is complete HORSESHLIT!

because of"initiations" in various units I was with, I knew one Marine who ended up with 2 broken legs, and a medical discharge, another who ended up with over 37 stitches, and yet ANOTHER Marine who ended up blind in one eyes because he ducked during the "gauntlet" and got his fricking EYE knocked out!

I remember each time I got promoted, and especially when I made CPL, they wanted to "pin" things on me. I told em straight out, if you value your life, stay the hell away from me. Handshakes and congrats are in order, but I passed my D@mn initiation when I graduated Boot camp and infantry school. First time, from PFC to Lance, they didn't believe how serious I was until I SHOWED a couple of them.

Traditions are fine. Beating people up for fun is just JUVENILE!

thats my .02 on this matter

Credits
    Savings
    HardJedi, the examples that you just described are exactly what we are talking about, we need to regulate ourselves. As you said traditions are traditions, it's when it is taken to the next level that it becomes hazing and people get hurt. I f during these instances that you experienced there had been a senior NCO around who had done his job, you would not have had the negative experiences. There is a huge difference between hazing and tradition and that is when people get hurt. In my time in the corps, I never once hurt anybody during an initiation, and that I will guarantee.

There is a difference between hazing and tradition. I was hazed because I was the new PFC about to make LCpl. Not because of rank, or because I was put into a new posistion. It was because I was new. What a way to welcome the new guy huh? I wouldnt have minded if i didnt have to make a run to the hospital.

Credits
    Savings
    Once again an example of hazing, when people are hurt it is ignorant and serves no purpose.

I know Jag, but heck, most of the time it was the frickin senior NCO's who lined everyone up FOR the guantlets and the like. When I was made a squad leader in 1/6, I made it clear that anyone touching ANYONE in my squad was gonna be in deep manure real quick. Now, I am not the biggest, nor the baddest, but I DID have a reputation for taking care of my people at all costs. and if that meant I ended up standing tall in front of the man, then I did it. happened more than once, but luckily I never got hit with anything other than extra duty. No paper trail

Credits
    Savings

Wink

You are exactly the kind of Marine who needs to regulate these traditions so that they do not turn into hazings. When I was in we took care of each other and if somebody over did it they were surely made to realize their mistake.

I just thought of something else that made sense to me. When I was at PI I had a habit of not sounding off, or saying anything when told something to my DI's. And it was just me and my DI in the squad bay when he gave me an order. And I got punched upside my jaw, it wasnt hard, but it hurt my pride. I always remember to say "aye sir". After it happened it was still a recruit/DI relationship, I didnt become his punching bag. But I knew my place.

Very fine line between hazing, and tradition. I guess you could say tradition is something you smile about when its done. Hazing is something you wont tell anyone else about.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Pinning/Tacking some collar devices is one thing. Pinning bloodstripes is another, in my opinion... there's too many imporant ligaments that can get torn up, punctured, etc. down there, and they don't call us "America's 911" because of our inability to move.

Thread Information