Wartime/Peacetime Bootcamp - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    What would be their motivation? The Saddam banner they served under is gone.

Who is motivating and financing these counter sniper teams?

That is the current threat. All idealogy aside, who is paying these guys to kill Marines.

After reading all of the above...I still believe that wartime bootcamp is different than peacetime. The pressure is on the Drill Instructors and that is passed on to the recruits. The Drill Instructors (in wartime) know that there is a good chance most of his recruits will stand the test in combat. Trained right ..better chance of living..trained wrong..better chance of death. That kind of pressure is what really makes the Drill Instructors meaner than hell. It is for the good of the recruit and the conscious of the DI...and the future of the Corps. OORAH

Sgt. Smitty
    Guest Free Member
    My sentiments exactly gbudd......not only did we wash our own uniforms, do bucket drills, we didn't dye our shoes and boots...we spit shined them all, we had hand to hand against another platoon in our series, cleaned and re-cleaned clean weapons, not too much time on close order but some, and yes, kill - kill - kill still rings in my ears today also. That's why i like hunting season out here...I can go and LEGALLY KILL SOMETHING again with our govts. knowledge and blessing. Strange how ya look at things nowadays...............

Posted 2 1/2 years ago

Bump

Vietnam '62. Any questions?

Semper Fi

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Two and a half years after we started this little dicussion, our Drill Instructors are still doing a damn fine job!

You betchya

I went thru Diego, June 66. They had shortened boot from 12-13 weeks to 8. And I can guarantee ya, nobody got any slack at all. Then from boot, went to ITR. And I can tell stories about that "hell hole" and those dasturdly handler's thatda make you wanna find 'm and beat their aces in the ground, including some high rankin' STAFF NCO'S. Then I was a Drill Instructor, 73-75, and it was back to the normal time, or more, my brain is fuzzy about that. I though before 75 came around, directed my instruction's on "KEEPIN' YOUR ACE ALIVE" JUST in case some went, which I don't know, I just hope I hope I instilled in them, how to be a "LEAN MEAN-GREEN FIGHTIN' MACHINE." SF. Carry on you blessed Maggot's.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    sounds like the same boot camp to me,PI Oct 6 1969 ,3 BN PLT3057

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    '69 July - August PI... lost 3... one went head first 3 story building. one turned the head red, don,t know if he lived. one woke up with a bayonett in his chest,,,self inflicted.
    Good old P.I. '69 facing 'Nam. Remember the draft?

Remember the draft?

Sure do remember it. Served with several draftees in Nam. Only difference was they only had 2 year enlistments while the rest of us had 3 or 4 year enlistments. It must have been hell to be sent to boot camp because the goverment said so. The Corps made 4 draft calls between November 1965 and March 1966, accepting over 19,000 draftees in 1966. The next draft call came in April 1968, after the Tet offensive and again in May. There was another draft in December 1968 and the final call was in Feb 1970.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    When I did the med thing in Cleveland, they lined all the draftees up on one side of a big room, I was on the other side watching.
    They went down the line with a marker... 1,2,3,4,Marine, 1,2,3,4 Marine.
    shoulda seen some faces.

Parris Island Nov. 1967
    13 weeks of pure HELL, But I'm still here!
    Nam---1968 Tet offensive, hand to hand------the training had to be good !
    I have a Purple Heart----the other guy is DEAD !!!! Enough said!

Thread Information