Yahoo refuses to realease dead Marines E-mail - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    femalemarine_89
    Guest Free Member
    what address do you send to for yahoo.. i will send them one as well and give them a piece of my mind?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Agreed. This is bullsh*t. It was dicey enough before, but with a PoA, there isn't even a shifty legal refuge for this one... Yahoo needs to get their heads on straight.

femalemarine_89
    Guest Free Member
    Yes they do.. But i know from experience and alot of yelling that there are some places that dont look at a power of attorney as a legal paper.. I had that problem when i went to get plates for my husbands truck when he was on deployment and I had his power of attorney.. it took me fighting with them for 3 days and then getting navy legal involved in the situation.

Yeah. Legal issues. We shouldn't be killing all the muslims, we should be killing all the lawyers.

E-mail privacy and the deceased
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hackers Offer To Help Get Slain Marine's Yahoo E-Mail
    POSTED: 11:29 am PST December 22, 2004

WIXOM, Mich. -- Computer hackers and lawyers from across the nation are offering to help a Michigan family access the e-mail of a Camp Pendleton Marine killed in Iraq.

The family of Lance Cpl. Justin Ellsworth says it wants to get into his Yahoo account so it can remember him in his own words. However, it hasn't persuaded the Internet company to abandon its policy to not give out anyone's password.

Ellsworth, 29, of Mount Pleasant, Mich., was killed by a roadside bomb during a foot patrol in the Anbar province of Iraq last month. He was a member of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force.

Now lawyers are offering to help fight Yahoo, and computer hackers say they'll try to crack his password for free.

Yahoo says it deletes any account that's been idle for 90 days. Ellsworth was killed in Iraq on Nov. 3, meaning at the latest his account would be erased Feb. 1.

Ellie

femalemarine_89
    Guest Free Member
    Its good to see that there are people who want to help this family.. I think their wishes should be granted to them..

Registered User Free Member Eaglestrikes's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Delete

Delete!!!
    Great idea. Let's delete Yahoo.

Even if you concede that there is a need for a personal privacy policy for Yahoo, most of the time those policies are established to protect the company from a lawsuit for invasion of privacy. In this case who the hell would sue? That's really the problem here. Nothing wrong with having a policy, but every policy should have people enforcing it who use their God given common sense, who make exceptions to the policy when necessary.

I guarantee you that if enough people make enough noise about this, some high up at Yahoo will back down and blame someone down the chain.

femalemarine_89
    Guest Free Member
    that might be the case.. but the thing is you are dealing with a corporation and very seldom will they back down.. to them this is nothing.. they think that since they have millions of people who use yahoo that they are set.. i think its time that people boycott yahoo and go to using MSN or even hotmail.. if you chat on yahoo go to using msn messenger.. it does the same thing.. That is just how i feel about the whole situation.. if it come to push and shove i would have a hacker gain access to the account.. that would be of assistance to them.. since they have had some say that they would do it for free for them.. they should go for it..

Unfortunately, people leaving Yahoo and going somewhere else probably won't have enough of an effect before the files are destroyed. But enough bad publicity would do it. This is just the sort of thing that 20/20 or Dateline would love to put on.

femalemarine_89
    Guest Free Member
    heck yeah it would be.. i just cant stand what they are doing..the family needs to get with the news and do all kinds of special reports on it.. but in the mean time have someone trying to get the password thru a hacker..

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Gunny, here's the problem. That password is stored on a Yahoo! server, internal to the company. To obtain that password covertly would be incredibly difficult without help from the inside, and even then, it may still not be possible. I could go into the details on that, but suffice to say that unless that Marine gave his PW to someone else, it would be quite a task to hack the system, quite possibly beyond the scope of normal abilities. Am I saying that there's NO WAY it could be done? No. But it's highly unlikely.

Registered User Free Member Eaglestrikes's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Delete yahoo

I guarantee you that if enough people make enough noise about this, some high up at Yahoo will back down and blame someone down the chain.
    Unfortunately, people leaving Yahoo and going somewhere else probably won't have enough of an effect before the files are destroyed. But enough bad publicity would do it
    Every one is right on this. Yahoo is a suck ass outfit that is totaly implacable. I know this from personal exprience with them.
    People leaving would have to exceed those joining in order to show effect.
    That password is stored on a Yahoo! server, internal to the company. To obtain that password covertly would be incredibly difficult
    I agree.
    Now all that being said. We are Marines. Screw the facts. Let's go get em.

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I don't think they should give it up, yeah he's dead, but he clicked on the "yes, i agree" to terms of service for the yahoo account. If they allow this, where do you draw the line for another instance like this? My heart goes out to the family, but what will getting his email do for them?

Re: Yahoo refuses to realease dead Marines E-mail

Originally posted by HardJedi
    Lance Cpl. Justin M. Ellsworth, 20, was killed by a roadside bomb on November 13 during a foot patrol in Al Anbar province. The family wants the complete e-mail file that Justin maintained, including notes to and from others.

I disagree, if that Marine wanted someone else to read his email, he would have provided for that to occur.

In Nam, we went through a WIA or KIA's mail, and personal belonging before sending them home, so that the family would not have a different view of their son, husband then they already had.

What if he was emailing someone some x-rated pic's, or corresponding with others about why he left home, to join the Marines, because of his family life?

If he had written something for them to read all he had to do was to push the ENTER button, if its in draft form, then he hadn't completed a message and time and circumstances might have changed that.

What if he had left a will leaving things for others and not his folks, relatives and now the family wants to use that information to obtain or fight that deceision? perhaps there is something there he never intended for them to know about or to have?

He died with those secrets they are his and leave it alone. Remember him for what you know, not for what he didn't tell you!

Thread Information