Yahoo refuses to realease dead Marines E-mail
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Yahoo refuses to realease dead Marines E-mail

WIXOM, Michigan (AP) -- The family of a Marine killed in Iraq is pleading with Internet giant Yahoo! for access to his e-mail account, which the company says is off-limits under its privacy policy.

Lance Cpl. Justin M. Ellsworth, 20, was killed by a roadside bomb on November 13 during a foot patrol in Al Anbar province. The family wants the complete e-mail file that Justin maintained, including notes to and from others.

"I want to be able to remember him in his words. I know he thought he was doing what he needed to do. I want to have that for the future," said John Ellsworth, Justin's father. "It's the last thing I have of my son."

But without the account's password, the request has been repeatedly denied. In addition, Yahoo! policy calls for erasing all accounts that are inactive for 90 days. Yahoo! also maintains that all users agree at sign-up that rights to a member's ID or contents within an account terminate upon death.

"While we sympathize with any grieving family, Yahoo! accounts and any contents therein are nontransferable" even after death, said Karen Mahon, a Yahoo! spokeswoman.

These people need a boot in thier A$$!

yep thats the truth its a shame....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    While unfortunate, this does reinforce the importance of making sure your Powers of Attorney and Will is SQUARED AWAY TIGHT before you deploy... I have a feeling that if the parents had a GPoA or had been left the account in his will, this wouldn't have become an issue.

legal Issues? THAT is the problem with this world. everyone is worried about things that are NOT important! what about feeling? what about HEART? and sympathy? adn GRATITTUDE?

Amen HardJedi.

I feel they should release the password...

I happened to know Roger's...We had no secrets....

There could be a lot of memories in there...

That is all we can hold on to.....

Ellie

femalemarine_89
    Guest Free Member
    I think that is rotton.. I use yahoo and now I might have to think different about it. They are having no sympathy for the family at all. I think there needs to be a petition taken and taken to court. this is a case that the family should win.. Yahoo can kiss my rear..

Registered User Free Member Eaglestrikes's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Yahoo, Imbeciles

Yahoo sucks. It has always sucked. I had a Yahoo account and got rid of it because of their asinine policies and imbecilic behavior.
    I have had nothing to do with them for over two years. You know what. I don't miss them. I agree with hardjedi.

femalemarine_89
    Guest Free Member
    Oh I agree as well..

It's time to Boycott yahoo. Give the family access to the account.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Has the family check with the Family Readiness Office of his unit?

If Marines are headed overseas, they usually do a power of attorney prior to the ship date. Every unit my husband was in - and the ones my son has served with - all required wills and power of attorney forms as part of the pre-deployment paperwork.

femalemarine_89
    Guest Free Member
    But the way that yahoo is the probably wouldnt take that.. I have fought with some places when my husband was deployed and I had power of attorney.. trust me it isnt always easy

Credits
    Savings
    I live in the Detroit area and what they are saying is that the family has an attorney and they are going to address this issue. He did get a power of attorney and it is his father. Still yahoo will not agree to let the father have the password. The local news agrees with all of us but they are pointing out that if Yahoo does this then what about a bad relationship with the parents. This is a special situation and Yahoo should give up the passward and the the parents grieve in peace.

femalemarine_89
    Guest Free Member
    Amen.. I am glad to hear that big. I think yahoo needs to be boycotted just for the crap that they are doing. They think that a power of attorney is just a piece of paper.. what they dont realize is that it is much more than that.. but they are not the only company that feels that way

Registered User Free Member Eaglestrikes's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Yahoo.

Boycott SBC as well, that is their ISP.
    Sending them E-Mails is like sending water down a well.
    Never the less I sent one.
    I ain't never minded letting someone know how I feel.

Thread Information