What do you do to train before shiping? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I agree with GunnyL....sit ups, pullups and squat thrusts (if they still do that in boot), and run all you can....might try and put on a back pack with a little weight in it also.

I didn't have a car or any other way of getting around so I had to walk everywhere I went. My only form of excercise was fighting and getting into trouble ( not advisable as forms of legitimate excercise ) so I was in fairly good shape-indurance wise when I went into boot camp. VFM advised starting out with around 250 squat thrusts (seems like we always started at a thousand and worked our way up...) same with push ups and running...My Lord, if you aren't sleeping both hours at night, you are running so get used to that! Best of luck...

A 3 Mile Run in 19:30 is a good time. I would run a little slower but run longer, 3 miles is a sprint as far as endurance is concerned. You are going to be on your feet a lot in Recruit Training, marching back and forth as well as the PT runs. So when I talk about endurance, I'm not just talking your 3 mile run. You may want to substitute some of your runs with some 5+ mile walks with maybe a light load. Get used to spending some time on your feet.

GunnyL

Oh, almost forgot! On pullups, the only way to improve is to do more reps in your workouts. I used to tell my Marines when they were standing there looking at the pullup bar "You aren't going to get any better standing there looking at the thing!" Work yourself to exhaustion every other day instead of everyday to give your muscles time to recover and strengthen. When you can't do anymore, have a workout partner lift you up and come down as slow as possible a few times at the end of the workout. You will see improvement.

GunnyL

Thanks Gunny!

I have a workout buddy that does everything with me. We just ran 6 miles yesterday and it felt great. First 2 miles was in 14 min. Had to step it up a little after that. We also do pullups, sit ups, and dips. Today I think we are going for 6 miles again. Friday will be our long day.

I think it is really great to have a partner to work out with. If you're feeling low, he is there to help you out. Same thing if he is feeling low. The only thing is my friend doesn't know if he wants to go in Marines. I'm working on him though. So far he has thought about the reserves.

femalemarine_89
    Guest Free Member
    I know what you mean freas.. I remember when I decided to go in the Corps. My dad was in and he always told me train, train, train. As a matter of fact I can remember him getting out of bed at 0430 just to make me get out of bed to go running every morning.. then home to shower and have little breakfast and off to school

I think I must be the only guy in the world who was arrogant enough before going in to NEVER workout before bootcamp LOL.

Oh well, I paid for it, but made it still

Thread Information