Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Marine Chooses Wedding Ring Over Finger

Marine Chooses Wedding Ring Over Finger
    Associated Press
    December 13, 2004

VICTORVILLE, Calif. - When Marine Lance Cpl. David Battle learned he'd either have to sacrifice his ring finger or the wedding band he wore, he told doctors at a field hospital in Iraq to cut off the finger.
    The 19-year-old former high school football star suffered a mangled left hand and serious wounds to his legs in a Nov. 13 fire fight in Fallujah. Battle, who is recovering at his parents' home in this desert city 80 miles northeast of Los Angeles, came under attack as he and fellow Marines entered a building. Eleven other Marines were wounded.
    Doctors were preparing to cut off Battle's ring to save as much of his finger as they could.
    "But that would mean destroying my wedding ring," he said. "My wife is the strongest woman I know. She's basically running two people's lives since I've been gone. I don't think I could ever repay her or show her how grateful ... how much I love my wife, my soul mate."
    With his approval, doctors severed his finger, but somehow in the chaos that followed, they lost his ring.

Although Battle was disappointed, his wife, Devon, said she was honored.
    "I can't believe he did that," she said. "At first I was mad when he told me, but then I realized how lucky I am to have him in my life."
    The couple, who met in the eighth grade, were married in June, just two weeks before Battle left for Iraq. He hopes to eventually return to the Marines, and to replace his wedding ring, but that will have to wait until he recovers.
    In the meanwhile, Battle's high school has planned a banquet in his honor next week.
    "We need to make more David Battles," said Daniel Pierce, the school's assistant head coach. "He is one amazing guy."

Maybe he was more afraid of his wife than he was of losing a finger...(LOL)

Very interesting story and I don't want sound cold (but I am)...but..hey, you can get another ring and another wife too. A little hard to replace that finger. When I was in Vietnam, we didn't wear rings and things in the bush.

I don't get it, hes going to hate himself when in 5 years his wife leaves him.

I'm more attached to my finger so lose the wedding ring.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    And then, what did they do? They went and lost the freakin' ring anyway !!

Duhhhhh !!

Damn, I HATE it when that happens.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Yep, he gave 'em the finger and got nothin' back in return.

sad to say, but this kid's a dumbarse

And the swabbies lost the ring!
    But hey, it was the ring finger, not the one he picks his nose with so all is well.

Im gonna have to agree that this was the wrong choice. You can love your wife and not give up your finger. My wife would kill me if I did some stupid thing like that. maybe it's just me but I don't see at all why anybody would make that choice. Makes no sense to me. If he's in victorville thats kinda by me. I'm in 29 palms. Maybe i'll go have a talk with him.

In combat

we would give our lives for a Marine, but not a finger for a wife.. LOL

I guess we learned our lesson because of Adam, how he went and gave up a rib and look what happened...

that women went and got him in trouble....LMAO

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    I've heard strange tales about Victorville! Maybe its something in the water or the town is over an old burial ground?

I showed my wife this and she had the same reaction about the NAvy losing the ring anyway! duh!!

The Navy would lose a ship if it wasn't for the Marines guarding it!

yeah rings cost a lot of money and women are a dime a dozen....

LOL..No Sh*t!

Thread Information