Did Making Sergeant Change You
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did Making Sergeant Change You

Do you remember when you earned the rank of Sergeant? On that day did your attitude change? Did you carry that rank with you into civilian life? Prior to my promotion, I really can't say I was in love with the Corps. I followed orders, got the job done but I wondered why I was in the Corps. When my name changed to Sergeant...my attitude of the Corps changed. I felt like I belonged there and more a part of the Corps. I was treated different by those below and above me. I felt I was somebody. I'm no longer in the Corps but I'm still a Sergeant.

Wish I knew.
    I was a corporal (e-3 in old rank structure) and made corporal once more (e-4) rather than sergeant (e-4).
    Only had to sew on crossed rifles instead of another chevron.
    However, the new metal chevrons were late getting to us so new corporals had to wear the old-time sergeant chevrons when wearing utilities.
    Needless to say, I wore my utilities a lot more than any other uniform.
    Didn't change me much, I guess.
    I was Mitch-the-Sonafa***** as an e3 and it continued as an e4.

I was know as the a**hole Sergeant. We had a Good Sergeant who would say yes to the troops and then me to no Sergeant who deny everything. And I liked the role. But for my last week on Okinawa I was the good Sergeant.

I was a merit... Corporal and it was hard for my peers to see the immediate change, after all I didn't blame them I was an e-4 by the end of my first year in the Corps. But after I won Battalion NCO of the quarter I started getting peoples attention. I did feel different when I got promoted to Sgt. Maybe it was the respect form higher and lower or maybe it was the title change itself. Either way I was glad to lead Marines as a Sergeant.

Sgt. DSchmitke
    Question I was on Okinawa on Yontan Airstrip with small group of Marines first week April 45 they gave me guard duty watching a Jap Tony fighter plane. Wanted off APA as Jap planes snuck in behind our night chicks inside rador all our ships in bay fireing at them every dierection even 25 Cal. like fizzling fire crakers I being a Hospital Corpsman found it quite an Exp. with the camafaauge net tabs blowing in pitch dark. I remember there was a Major in charge & sally & Betty Jap bomers came in & either crashed or landed full of Jap soilders in green uniforms with wrap around bandages They would but Exp. under wings of our aircraft they were pretty dead after all over. I was pretty young 20 yrs old Buckeye MERRY CHRISTMAS SEMPHER FI

Re: Did Making Sergeant Change You

Originally posted by gbudd
    Do you remember when you earned the rank of Sergeant? On that day did your attitude change? Did you carry that rank with you into civilian life? Prior to my promotion, I really can't say I was in love with the Corps. I followed orders, got the job done but I wondered why I was in the Corps. When my name changed to Sergeant...my attitude of the Corps changed. I felt like I belonged there and more a part of the Corps. I was treated different by those below and above me. I felt I was somebody. I'm no longer in the Corps but I'm still a Sergeant.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I made sergeant in the Nam and man did I notice an immediate change. I was the man, and I had given no thought to the accountability side of it. It was made very clear to me quickly that I had been given an awesome responsibility over the mission and well being of my Marines. Any failures of my Marines or my operation well, the buck stopped with me and any failures of my Marines were my own. A much different respect from up and down also was apparent. Its like all of a sudden I was considered the go to guy with all the right answers.

Registered User Free Member Lock-n-Load's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Talking Absolutely.....

Made PFC at Boot Camp [Mar51]....after being in Korea for 4 months [10Nov51] made Corporal....one year outta Parris Island was promoted to buck/Sgt aboard a US Navy LST #1068...it took 7 LSTs to transport the entire 1st Tank Bn [125 Tanks]from the Eastern Front to the Western Front [Mar52]...due to Marine KIAs and WIAs..if your Skipper thought you could handle your responsibilities; you got promoted fast under fire...I never let the Skipper[s] down...yes, making buck/Sgt was a big deal with me...I had a crew of 5 to lookout for now and a $500,000 M46A1 Patton Tank to command, yeah, 1 yr outta Parris Island, I got promoted to buck/Sgt on ALMAR #15...I still have the warrant to this day

yep...

It sure did change me....

Made me care more for the troops, making sure their needs, supplies, pay, family matters were taken care...

But mostly, once I pinned on those sgt. stripes, I began to pick on a different class of wimen, not just the ones that wore miniskirts, and had tattoos.

Why, I even gave up some names to the Corporal, and PFC's and only picked up on women that drank from a glass from there on.

Yes sir; no more beer bottle drinking women for me once I made sgt.

Of course after I left the service I went back to my old ways... LMAO....

Cool Have I changed?

Ever since I made Sergeant I have been more laid back. My work ethics are still the same, but now I let the junior Marines handle the bulk of the duty.
    When I first joined (PFC) I looked up to my Sgts. LCPL-CPL, Sgts where more like my peers. Now that I am the Sgt, I want to be able to help my Marines so they can look up to me. I never want to be known as that lazy, good-for-nothing Sergeant. I always lead by example and demonstrate the highest level of professionalism.

OohRahh Sergeants!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Making Sergeant gave me a certain sense of pride and a sense of accomplishment. But one rule I made for myself was never to order my subordinates to do anything that I would not do myself.
    Semper Fi!!!
    vfm

Registered User Free Member Abe's's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Yes, I remember when I picked up Sergeant. Came as a big surprise to me, because frankly, I got it for reenlisting for my second hitch! I didn't even ask for it; I just woke up one morning hung over fierce and thought, "hell this ain't a bad life, I'll reenlist and stay Marine." So I went to see my Career Planner, about a month later sworn in, and the next thing you know my CommO is reading me my promotion warrant! Talked about being floored by this.

Did it changed me. Hell yes it did. And I loved it. For me the three ranks I loved having was Lance Corporal, Sergeant, and First Sergeant.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The rank of Sergeant is one of the most prized ranks. At this point you are a senior NCO and you are viewed much differently. As a Cpl., you are not a seasoned NCO. As a Sgt., you are one peg away from becoming a Staff NCO. I think that it is a great position to be in and one that many strive to achieve. True leadership and responsibility come at this level.

SF

Sixguns

well, it WOULD have changed me. A little TOO much, which is yet one more reason I did not re-enlist. I got in enough trouble for fraternizing with privates through Lcpl as it was. I enjoyed being one of the guys too much I guess.

Nah, I remained the same sweet and loveable guy that I was before I became a three striper...I do remember though, I never had KP or any extra duty until I became a Sgt. This was after I got back stateside. I was stuck being barracks NCO at least once a month for 9 months 'till I mustered out. I didn't even live on base...

Thread Information