Fireside Chat - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Fireside Chat

Morning folks

It's beginning to look like another beautiful day in Sunny California. Going to be in the high 70’s but right now a slow breeze keeps the porch a bit chilly but the fire is on as is the coffee. Grab a seat and sit for awhile the world can wait.

Every morning I wake up and realize I am still alive in this world. One day the Lord will surprise me, and tell me no, your not. But for now I will enjoy each day. Reading about NC.Gal's brother makes me grateful for the health I enjoy.

It seems like he was in Nam same time I was and who knows we might have stepped on each other brass in those rice paddy fields.

So, I’ll live another day. Saw a coffee cup on the shelf of a novelty shop the other day, I should have bought it. It’s a saying by Eleanor Roosevelt, something about doing something everyday that scares you. I should have bought it. Over the years I’ve collected coffee cups and sometimes they reflect my mood. Watch out world, feel like getting in trouble today... LOL

But then again, I think I do that everyday.

You can almost smell the vanilla/cinnamon soaked pine cone burning over in the corner.

Go ahead, scratch-n-sniff your monitor if you feel like it, and get a whip of that aroma.

We were at a friend’s house yesterday and got to talking about burning firewood and I mentioned how I've been on-line looking for a Berger Lampe, for a good price. They are small but expensive, you place the oil in them, light them for about two minutes then blow the light out and they burn for hours releasing the aroma of the scent of the oil for hours. I wonder if they have bacon burning oil scent. If I burn that in the morning, I wonder if it would wake up the neighbors or just the dogs in the area. LOL

Think I’ll go looking at antiques stores today see if I can find one of those lamps, if I find one maybe I’ll rub it for good luck or the cashier if she pretty. LMAO

Well the temp here in Kalamazoo, Michigan was 3 above.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Temperature in my part of South Florida is in the 60's now. It was like 45 at 0600.
    Got a couple of surprise Christmas cards and such from the folks here on this website. Along with PM's and posts...I really want to express my sincerest thank you's to one and all. I always make sure to pass on your well wishes to my Sons and they always say, "Thank You".
    The Dolphins play the Patriots this evening and they are the underdogs. I'm not a Miami fan, having grow up in the San Francisco Bay Area, but I think that they will do okay against New England.... they just won't win.
    The fire looks good Sparrowhawk. I will join you in spirit for a cup or two of...hot chocolate, whiskey, beer....it doesn't matter. Have a good day.
    Have a good day one and all.
    Gary

A CORRECTION FOR YOU COOK:

Edward is MY BROTHER, not brother-in-law.

It is a beautiful sunny day today with temps 21----it might not
    reach 32----I don't plan on going outside today except to
    get the mail. Tuesday is warming up to 50. Today will be
    a great day to stay inside and wrap all my gifts while
    listening to Christmas music.
    Hello to everyone at leatherneck.com

nc.gal

It gets cold in North Carolina?

WELL YEAH, IT DOES..........

I think yellowwing is responsible for pushing it
    downward our way.

Smile

Nice Post Sparrowhawk!!!
    Sunday morning is also Coffee time for me,I grind my own with an old (41 yrs)Waring coffee mill.One scoop each of Columbian,Cuban and Kona beans to a powdery consistancy,pour through the scalding hot water and marvel at the aroma and flavor!
    Then on to the Detroit Free Press/News (they merged sometime ago) Sunday Edition where I glean out the TV Guide and both of the Crossword puzzles.I read one section at a time and try not to Gag or scream obscenities at the violence and ignorance I am surrounded with.
    I get a kick out of the domestic Zoo in my home.The goldfish have been brought inside for the Winter and are looking like Carp now.The Cat(s)don't look at them twice but spend the day rolled into compact,purring fur balls.The dogs (A Pug and a MinPin)also sleep a lot and cringe at the idea of puttting their paws into -2 degrees weather for even the briefest pee,They have to be carryed and the gate locked behind them for them to get the message(pee,take a quick dump and you can go back in!)
    I like your Fireplace,the photo gave me the warm fuzzies......
    the photo needs a Lab curled up in front of it.
    I have photo's of my location and my Zoo but can't seem to find the "Browse" or "Download" button to accomplish that task.
    Merry Christmas to you and the folks here at "Leatherneck"

It's warming up now...

Originally posted by benny rutledge

...I grind my own with an old (41 yrs)Waring coffee mill.One scoop each of Columbian,Cuban and Kona beans to a powdery consistancy,pour through the scalding hot water and marvel at the aroma and flavor!
    Merry Christmas to you and the folks here at "Leatherneck"

Gosh darn if that didn't get me to making another pot of coffee, that's one thing I do enjoy early in the morning. A good tasting cup of coffee, might come visiting just for that... LOL

Don't need a lab, was actually thinking of a collie, saw an ad selling one in the paper just this morning.

A lady gave me two ugly looking dogs a couple of years ago, and boy were they a problem. She asked me about them about a year ago and I told her they were fine, enjoying their freedom.

Didn't say they were now roaming free patroling the Santa Ana River Banks.. LMAo

That' reminds me of that cat we accidently buried under the driveway while pouring cement with neighbors that insisted I buy them beer while we worked. I still swear I hear him meow each time we park a car in that area. LOL

The download button is still broke in the system. Otherwise I would post more pics.. Think Jerry is hesitant to fix it on account of that.

LOL

nc.gal I fixed the note above to reflect that it was your brother, looking forward to you sharing more about him. Hope he gave you some hugs and kisses here and there, if not if I ever meet you I'll give you one for him and maybe a couple for myself. LOL

OKAY, THANKS COOK FOR CORRECTION

Right now, I'll just settle for a whopping

HERSHEY KISS.....

the temps have warmed up to 29 now----
    this mornings low was 12

ANOTHER MEMORY OF BROTHER

Cook, I took a break from gift wrapping to post another memory while it is still fresh in my mind.
    Edward was the baby in the family and the next one to him is Bobby--they are about a year and half difference in age. They were as thick as thieves.
    This memory is about a year or so after I got my drivers license---
    I pulled into the drive-way not knowing that Edward was hidden in a tree. This tree is by the steps up to the porch. As I got out of the car and headed up the sidewalk nearing the steps, Ed jumps out of the tree right down in front of me and scared the bee-jeebers out of me. Well, I guess the whole neighborhood heard me yelling at him. He got a laugh out of that---but isn't that what brothers do to their sisters? torment them

LOL------------LOL

PS
    am making correction on first post of brother,he graduated boot
    camp August 1967, not 1997, bummer---------made an error!!

Benny Rutledge, how do you get your min-pin to sleep all day? My daughters mutt is a ton of energy packed into one 12 lb. package of fur...Sparrowhawk, please send me that formula for cement and cat. Also, does that work with dogs? On second thought, the neighbors might get suspicious if they saw my driveway constantly moving...LOL

The fire looks inviting, friends gathered around. The cold is upon Missouri like an invasion of Vikings from the north---guess I'll pull my collar up a bit---lol.

I've got a grandson tale to tell.

His grandmother, after the loss of her husband spent some time with her son, my daughter and him and his brother.

At 5 years old he is confident of his leadership and is quite comfortable with taking charge of most that goes on around him.

It was near time for bed so my grandson took grandma's hand and said, "Come on Mimi, (what he calls her) and I'll show you where to sleep".

He walked her up the stairs to a room and said, "This is your bedroom, well really it's Carson's but you will sleep in his bed".

He then walked her down the hall and said, "This is my bedroom, this is where I sleep. If you wake up at night to go to the bathroom come here and rub my back. I will wake up and turn on the lights and show you were the bathroom is and I will go poop too!"

Kids---lol---you got'ta love em!

Originally posted by Toby M
    It gets cold in North Carolina?
    My first born was delivered at the Naval Hospital, Camp Lejuene, NC in January.
    The night I had to rush my (ex) wife to the hospital on base from Swansboro, NC (a 16 mile one way drive) there was a full fledged ice / sleet / snow storm in progress. Now, Swansboro is right on the coast where its mostly warm.
    I can remember shuttling Marines from mainside to J'Ville anytime it snowed. I was a northener and used to driving in the slippery stuff.
    The road from mainside to the main gate used to be littered with cars in ditches driven by those who couldn't drive on ice & snow.

Registered User Free Member jfreas's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I live just a little east of Buffalo, NY. It's so cold here the Flashers are handing out pictures.

The temp here in Northwest New Jersey, in the foothills of the Poconos at 10:20 pm is 7 degrees. Didn't top 12 today. Wind chill in the minus zero range.
    We had a light dusting of snow on Sunday night. Made the roads real slippery.
    Looks like no white Christmas this year as the temps are supposed to top 50 by Thursday with rain.

Thread Information