Teen to join Marines, stay out of jail
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cool Teen to join Marines, stay out of jail

Teen to join Marines, stay out of jail
    By Adam Kovac Daily Herald Staff Writer
    Posted Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Instead of going to prison for robbing a store clerk at knifepoint, a St. Charles teenager on Tuesday was allowed to enlist in the Marines in lieu of punishment for the crime.

Alex Chase, 18, pleaded guilty to misdemeanor theft, not the armed robbery charge he faced for the Sept. 4, 2003, holdup at Peterson's Hardware Store in Hampshire.

The recent Burlington Central High School graduate faced 6 to 30 years in prison for robbing the store of about $250, a crime that sparked a county-wide manhunt.

"I'm glad a kid can get a second chance," Chase said after his plea. "I'll never do anything like that again, that's for sure."

Chase said he will sign his enlistment papers as early as today and looks forward to serving a four-year stint as vehicle mechanic and driver.

Although Chase says he's wanted to become a Marine since childhood, his goal intensified after a 19-year-old cousin from Maryland died Feb. 13 in Iraq while serving as an Army paratrooper.

"I try not to think about it," Chase said. "He died doing the same thing I want to do."

Kane County prosecutors agreed to reduce the more serious offense based on Chase's successful completion of a court-supervised drug treatment program.

Assistant State's Attorney Bill Engerman said Hampshire police and Peterson's clerk and owner also agreed that Chase, who has no significant criminal record, might be better off going into the military instead of prison.

Defense attorney D.J. Tegeler said Chase has passed random drug tests while free on bail and improved his grades to make the honor role for the first time since the second grade.

"This is a kid who really has turned his life around," Tegeler said. "This is a kid who, I think, is going to make us all proud."

Under the terms of his plea, Chase will not serve probation but must pay about $385 in fines and court costs. Misdemeanor theft is punishable by up to one year in jail.

The outcome of Chase's case is uncommon in Kane County's courtrooms and different from the arrangement made by another teenager who participated in the Hampshire heist.

In October, Jared Blaha of Hampshire pleaded guilty to robbery in exchange for 2¨ years probation and community service. He also agreed to testify against Chase.

Blaha, who was 17 at the time, drove Chase to Peterson's and picked him up afterward.

On Tuesday, Judge Timothy Sheldon praised Chase for the changes he's made.

"You did a really good job, I'm sorry it had to end this way," Sheldon said. "Good luck, stay safe."

The Drifter's Wife

Ellie

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    This was a common prctice of the courts and Corps of the 1960's but I thought that the Corps had raised its standards and this was no longer accepted. And drugs on top of that I wonder how this could possibly be in 2004.

I served with many in Vietnam (67-70) that were given the choice of prison or the Marines. They were pretty good Marines. Of couse back in that era, there was no doubt that if you went in the Marines you would be going to Nam. What would your choice have been...at times, prison looked like a better choice.

as far as i am concerned the courts should do more of this, it would change these young men around in a heart beat..

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Very true I served with many a Marine who was given this choice in Vietnam and your right they were good Marines. I dont have a problem with it at all but do wonder if the Corps has lowered any other standards. Pfc Sean Seeley comes to mind, here you you have a good Marine that may get bounced on a medical that has already proven himself and wants to stay but the standard wont permit it.

I'm suprised he was allowed to enlist. I barely made it in because I had an OUIL on my record from when I was a senior in high school. In my opinion, anyone with a violent crime on their record should never be allowed in. We're America's elite fighting force....people like this should our table scraps that we throw to the deck for the Army to clean up.

PooleeWebber...that would be a mistake. Marines since the beginning have been rebels and an occasional run in with the law. I didn't do any jail time but I was headed down the wrong path when the Marines got ahold of me and changed my thinking. Just because a young man got on the wrong foot in life doesn't prevent him from becoming one of the few. Yes..the Marines are an elite fighting force but we all don't have holos. If we did we might want to choose say...another branch of service. I'm not knocking any branch of the service either. Marines are Marines and those that want to become one didn't have a former ambition of becoming a priest. Semper Fi

This is a very clear violation of the MPPM. It couldn't be true unless the Marine Corps changed the MPPM (Bible for Recruiters). I would like to research this one and find out if it's true. But offhand, I don't believe it.

GunnyL

PooleeWebber...I think the Navy has regs like that. The Marines may have changed their policy but in time of war, when they need bodies..they tend to look the other way.

gbudd, it looks like we had similar backgrounds when we were younger and agree with you about the Corps allowing people in that were teetering on the border between good/bad but I also agree with Webber in that anyone with a violent crime should not be allowed into the military. As a retired law enforcement officer with 25 plus years under my belt, I have learned that the majority of felons rarely change. Meaning they will re-offend. Granted, a great many former Marines came into contact with the law AFTER they got out but that's a whole 'nuther issue...

I agree with you about the violent crimes..however I did serve with several that did commit the violent crimes. They would have never made it stateside but I don't I could have either. I have the highest respect for anyone who has spent their time in law enforcement. I interviewed with the LAPD (required interview back in those days). I also interview with Dallas but was rejected because I smoked a joint in Vietnam. They later relaxed that guideline but by that time I was already into another line of work. Good post Toby....Semper Fi

The Marine Corps has people who've gotten waivers for Violent Crimes, they look at the whole person concept and see what they've done since they commited the crime and if they would be an asset rather than a liability to the Marine Corps.
    The problem with this case is that you are talking about Marine Corps in leu of conviction. Per the MPPM, that is automatic disqualification from service. If he had been convicted, did the time and improved his life since the initial crime then the Marine Corps would look at it for waiver but Service in leu of Jail is a direct violation of the MPPM and not waiverable. (unless it's changed in the last three years.

GunnyL

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Sheet ~ If we had been caught on some of the stuff we did in high school!

One time our group snuck into the high school and took our Geometry teacher's unique chair and put it on top of the press box on the football field.

That amounted to Break and Enter, Burglary, Theft, Conspiracy...and probably a few more offenses.

Of the six or so in our merry band, I joined the Corps, one guy is now a Tennessee State Trooper, one is an Optomitrist, one is a Genuine Rocket Scientist at the Tullahoma aerospace development center, and one is a LtCol in the Airforce.

Registered User Free Member enviro's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    GunnyL

You're right, however, this is more of an understanding that he will join the Marines. There could never be anything in writing that states this is what he'll do or go to jail. He wouldn't be allowed to enlist if their were.

His court papers have to say some to the effect of "for the good of justice" or something - or since the charge was reduced, then it doesn't say anything except crime/punishment.

I think the kid actually had to prove he would and could join the Marines before the judge would let him off so easily.

If you work with a DA or judge that is a former Marine - you'll get the kid off.

GunnyL....I think you are right. The Marines I served with were convicted and did some time but in lieu of serving the entire sentence they were given the option of interviewing with the Marine Corps and if accepted and served honorably...they considered that as time served. I think it was a great program.

Thread Information