VA Benefits?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VA Benefits?

VA Benefits?

I got out in '93 with a knee injury. Med board deem it service related. Vet Affairs told me since I recieved a seps check I would have to wait until '05 to start collecting my benefit check.

Should I contact them again about this or will it be started automtically? Any help would be great.

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    contact them, have all associated paperwork handy...

(the VA is a fun topic around here)

what the hell is a seps check never heard of that..

Registered User Free Member USMCrow's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    VA will withhold all of your VA benefits until your separation pay has been recouped. So, depending on the amount of your sep pay and your VA pay, you can calculate how long it will take to pay it back. You may wnat to call them to insure they have knowledge of your sep pay. It could cause problems later if they have to recoup sometime in the future.

Thanks USMCrow. Check was close to 5500. I only get 85$ for my long term knee @ 10%

Another place that will screw over again and again! When I got out in 71
    they me take a hearing test and the smart s.o.b that read the results
    of the test told me I had heavy loss in my left and minor loss in my right , I asked him what they could do about it ,or what I could and he says dont buy a stereo it took untill 83 before I got any comp, for it and My back and then it took untill 91 to get up to 40% disabilty. But dont give up like I did just set up camp on their door step and go to AMVETS>DAV<AMERICIAN LEGION<and VFW and I guarntee you will get you comp,its almost one of the nessary evils of life after the Military .
    Good Luck and SEMPER FI
    Ed

God I HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO SPELL AND TYPE. sorry bout that

snipowsky
    Guest Free Member
    Hey Marine Timber I got about the same amount and that was in 1997. You should be getting your full disability by now. Call them and inquire about it. If not, don't worry about it. The V.A. will start sending you that check promptly when you pay all of your separation pay back. I had to pay all mine back and the V.A. didn't miss a beat. Don't worry about it. You'll get it on time.

I don't even understand why they even pay that to military personnel if they have to pay it back. Makes no sense! Then again this is the United States government we are talking about! Any questions hit me up. I have vast knowledge on how to deal with the V.A. and their shady ways! If they give you trouble hit me up, I've got a great solution for that problem too. I don't take any B.S. off the V.A. here in Indy, they hate it when you know your rights!

P.S. As TracGunny stated the V.A. is a topic of great debate on Leatherneck.com. WE ALL "LOVE" THE V.A.!

Registered User Free Member USMCrow's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Timber, 10% is paying $106.00 for 2004 and $108.00 for 2005.

snipowsky and TracGunny, some of us are on the inside trying to help out. I can totally understand your points since I see and deal with the problems we face on a daily basis. Not a perfect system is a HUGE understatement. Still, there are those of us trying to accomplish the mission set up before us.

Smile

Thanks again. Will give them a call when I go on my 5 day break.

Ed, I won't tell you the cold chill I got when I asked about my back and elbow .

The Virginia Va has this thing about going to quacks in box for a physical. that was in '94-'95 when a MSgt. I know got his boot stuck getting me in gear.

Registered User Free Member enviro's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I get 40% for ankle and knee damage during the hunt for Osama.

The pay comes out to $555 a month - minus the payback for my severance check of around $38,000.

Severance pay is calculated by taking 2 months of basic pay times the number of years of active duty service up to 12 years (6 months or more counts as a whole year).

The payback of your severance is determined by the percentages of your disability. You get medically discharged for only one condition, even though you may have more than one.

For example:

Sgt Jones was rated as folows:

10% Right Knee
    10% Left Knee
    20% Back
    10% Ankle

Total Disabled: 40%

Sgt jones was discharged because of the ankle injury. He received a serverance check upon discharge. 10% of his disability check is withheld every month. 30% is paid to him.

Call it an advance on future earnings.

Credits
    Savings
    I AM SO PROUD OF YOU ALL!!
    You figured it out on your own.
    Yes, the govt will not pay you twice for the same thing i.e severance and disability.
    At 30% you get extra for dependents.
    The VA will automatically send you a check unless you call them and arrange direct deposit. ALWAYS have your address updated with them. 1-800-827-1000.
    For Virginia, you need to go to Roanoke to get a VA rep. It is pain to do but well worth it in the long run.

PS I miss you all. I will be doing at TAP class at Henderson Hall once a month for all of you in the area!

USMCrow-nice to see a fellow Boisean on board...

You have to file a VA disability claim, and then the VA starts
    "collecting" your disability severance pay from your VA disablility.
    The collection clock starts with the date you file your VA claim,
    not when you get discharged. I learned this the hard way, it took
    eighteen years and 6 months and 11 days before the VA sent me a dime for my disablity. Go to the nearest DAV post and they will help you with everything you need, and join the DAV. Semper Fidelis, Tom Murray SSGT 1973-1984

Thread Information