Man, are we in trouble now!
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Man, are we in trouble now!

Now, women, will be able to tell when we're lying, not that I would lie to a woman. lOl

Brain scan shows differences in truth, lying
    29 Nov 2004 18:29:42 GMT
    Source: Reuters
    By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Correspondent

WASHINGTON, Nov 29 (Reuters) - Brain scans show that the brains of people who are lying look very different from those of people who are telling the truth, U.S. researchers said on Monday.

The study, using functional magnetic resonance imaging or fMRI, not only sheds light on what goes on when people lie but may also provide new technology for lie-detecting, the researchers said.

"There may be unique areas in the brain involved in deception that can be measured with fMRI," said Dr. Scott Faro, director of the Functional Brain Imaging Center at Temple University School of Medicine in Philadelphia.

"There may be unique areas in the brain involved in truth-telling," Faro added at a news conference.

Faro and colleagues tested 10 volunteers. Six of them were asked to shoot a toy gun and then lie and say they didn't do it. Three others who watched told the truth about what happened. One volunteer dropped out of the study.

While giving their "testimony," the volunteers were hooked up both to a conventional polygraph and also had their brain activity imaged using fMRI, which used a strong magnet to provide a real-time picture of brain activity.

There were clear differences between the liars and the truth-tellers, Faro's team told a meeting in Chicago of the Radiological Society of North America.

"We found a total of seven areas of activation in the deception (group)," he said. "We found four areas of activity in the truth-telling arm."

Overall, it seemed to take more brain effort to tell the lie than to tell the truth, Faro found.

Lying caused activity in the frontal part of the brain --- the medial inferior and pre-central areas, as well as the hippocampus and middle temporal regions and the limbic areas. Some of these are involved in emotional responses, Faro said.

During a truthful response, the fMRI showed activation of parts of the brain's frontal lobe, temporal lobe and cingulate gyrus.

Faro said the study was small and limited. Volunteers were not asked to try especially hard to deceive the equipment, he said -- noting that it has been documented that some people can fool a polygraph using various techniques.

Using fMRI as a lie detector is expensive, but it may be worthwhile in some cases -- such as trying to question a terrorism suspect, or in a high-profile corporate crime case, Faro said.

I just looked them in the eyes...

Always worked for me......

Ellie

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    true, Ellie, it seems to me that women have always been able to tell when men are lying... intuition, sixth sense, whatever... perhaps women can catch on the the amount of brain activity (I just set myself up); the less activity, the more lying.

Smile

There were times when my son attempted to lie to me. He was lost as soon as he started because his face and ears turned bright red! He knew that was the one thing I really wouldn't accept. He spent over 12 years as an ET/lst class and all his evals were 4.0. Sure wish he would have become a MARINE, but he was 6'6" and he said he'd "make an easy target". Typical response for someone without his parents "Gung Ho" attitude.

i just beat a confession out of them it works better and relieves stress...

femalemarine_89
    Guest Free Member
    LOL.. Yeah I have always noticed that when a guy is lying that he cant look directly at you, he is always looking around or looking at the ground. Its funny cause I will just listen to them and pretend like im believing him and when he is done I let him have it.. Its crazy..

When I know my husband is lying, I just let him ramble and ramble. I shake my head so he thinks I believe him. Then later in the day or later in the week, I start asking him questions about the subject he lied about. His response is either very vague or it's, "you remember honey what I told you...". Then he does the eye thing...when he doesn't look at me. It's funny to see him struggle, but it also makes me VERY mad to think he is trying to get away with it. You never want to see a female Marine mad!!!

femalemarine_89
    Guest Free Member
    If that isnt the truth there Sgt. I dont think its a very pretty sight when you see a ****ed off Female Marine.. that is one of those things that you just never want to see.. LOL

Originally posted by thedrifter
    I just looked them in the eyes...

Always worked for me......

Ellie
    Amazing things the eyes;

I love it when women look me in the eyes...

Its amazing what you can do with them. LOL

When they do that, they forget quickly forget about the lies and it always leads to other things, LMAO

Roger always had a nack for that...

He had bedroom eyes, and a damn devilish grin...

Always made me melt....

Ellie

You got to send me a picture of yourself Sparrow!!! Just thinking about it makes me all tingly inside....

OH NO!!!! it's working!!

FemaleMarine89-looking down or looking around was a trick I learned to look for during my 25 plus years in Law Enforcement too! I see we have the same background..some things you just never forget!

Originally posted by Sgt Morales, AM
    You got to send me a picture of yourself Sparrow!!! Just thinking about it makes me all tingly inside....

OH NO!!!! it's working!!
    Anyone from Florida that loves Italian food has got to be a good women.

Click the link below, its my picture but don't let Marinemom or Ellie see it, they have been trying to see what I look like for years. LOL

Below is a picture I posted on this site awhile back...

followed by what I look like today.

What I looked like in 1967

What Sparrowhawk looks like today

What a hotty in 67!!!! I am not sure what to say about the "now" picture. I am surprised that you get away with the "eye thing" looking like that!! LOL

femalemarine_89
    Guest Free Member
    Hey Toby.. yeah some things you just never forget.. they keep in your mind and you just always remember the little things. It is soo easy once you have been in the profession that we have been in to know when something just isnt right..

Thread Information