Marines rally around buddy
Create Post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Marines rally around buddy

U.S. Marines Rally Round Iraq Probe Comrade

By Michael Georgy

FALLUJA, Iraq (Reuters) - U.S. Marines rallied round a comrade under investigation for killing a wounded Iraqi during the offensive in Falluja, saying he was probably under combat stress in unpredictable, hair-trigger circumstances.

Marines interviewed on Tuesday said they didn't see the shooting as a scandal, rather the act of a comrade who faced intense pressure during the effort to quell the insurgency in the city.

"I can see why he would do it. He was probably running around being shot at for days on end in Falluja. There should be an investigation but they should look into the circumstances," said Lance Corporal Christopher Hanson.

"I would have shot the insurgent too. Two shots to the head," said Sergeant Nicholas Graham, 24, of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. "You can't trust these people. He should not be investigated. He did nothing wrong."

The military command launched an investigation after video footage showed a U.S. Marine shooting a wounded and unarmed man in a mosque in the city on Saturday. The man was one of five wounded and left in the mosque after Marines fought their way through the area.

A pool report by NBC correspondent Kevin Sites said the mosque had been used by insurgents to attack U.S. forces, who stormed it, killing 10 militants and wounding the five. Sites said the wounded had been left for others to pick up.

A second group of Marines entered the mosque on Saturday after reports it had been reoccupied. Footage from the embedded television crew showed the five still in the mosque, although several appeared to be close to death, Sites said.

He said a Marine noticed one prisoner was still breathing.

A Marine can be heard saying on the pool footage provided to Reuters Television: "He's f***ing faking he's dead."

"The Marine then raises his rifle and fires into the man's head," Sites said.

NBC said the Marine, who had reportedly been shot in the face himself the previous day, said immediately after the shooting: "Well, he's dead now."

THOROUGH PROBE PROMISED

The Marine commander in Falluja, Lieutenant General John Sattler, said his men followed the law of conflict and held themselves to a high standard of accountability.

"The facts of this case will be thoroughly pursued to make an informed decision and to protect the rights of all persons involved," he said.

Marines have repeatedly described the rebels they fought against in Falluja as ruthless fighters who didn't play by the rules. They say the investigation is politically motivated.

"It's all political. This Marine has been under attack for days. It has nothing to do with what he did," said Corporal Keith Hoy, 23.

Rights group Amnesty International said on Monday both sides in the Falluja fighting had broken the rules of war governing the protection of civilians and wounded combatants.

Gunnery Sergeant Christopher Garza, 30, favored an investigation but like other Marines said the Pentagon should weigh its decision carefully.

"He should have captured him. Maybe the insurgent had some valuable information. There may have been mitigating circumstances. Maybe his two buddies died in Falluja," he said.

Sites said: "I have witnessed the Marines behaving as a disciplined and professional force throughout this offensive. In this particular case, it certainly was a confusing situation to say the least."

The U.S. military has been embarrassed by scandals in Iraq, most prominently the Abu Ghraib affair in which at least eight U.S. soldiers have been tried or face courts-martial over the abuse of prisoners at the jail outside Baghdad.

There have also been several cases in which soldiers have been charged with wrongfully killing Iraqis during operations.

Screw these damn rights groups We are not in a war to be thinking about there rights, did these SOBs think about our rights when they bombed the towers or killed my marines at beruit, hell no they didnt have they abused our military men and women when they where POWs hell yes they did.. ever hear of a piece in the bible called... AN EYE FOR EYE AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.

you go hrscowboy, Investigation my a**, for what protecting himself or his buddies in what his perception of danger was... let it go-----

Red face Let's think about this carefully...

Bad guy dead.

Good guy alive.

Did I miss anything?

snipowsky
    Guest Free Member
    I could care less what the circumstances are, the "man" he killed was an Iraqi insurgent who is our enemy. He is dead now. That's what is supposed to happen to our enemy. Me personally I would have taken it a step further and kicked his head in after I shot him between the eyes. That's just me though. You kill my brothers and I kill you with extreme prejudice. So I back this Marine 110% and no less!

I am sure he did what he had to. and the only thing I see wrong is the geek got the tape through without being confiscated.
    Semper Fi

Being a Viet Nam era Marine we came across alot of booby traps......so whats new......To bad that this young Marine wasn't sent to the rear for some R&R after he was slightly wounded....it could have saved his career......now its up to the courts....But we are Marines we HAVE to be better than the terrorist. we just can't go around killing the wounded......hell just leave his azz behind and let him die on his own......

Credits
    Savings
    Only thing I've got to say is one outstanding placemnet of a round. Same S@#t as 'Nam. Maybe if one of the imbedded reporters took some friendly they would back off. All they want to do is make the U.S. military look bad. But it's ok if these animals behead innocent people like the woman who was in charge of giving out CARE packages.
    SEMPER FI!!!
    vfm

Unhappy

I guess that poor woman did something awful by helping all those Iraqi people for 20 years. She converted to Islam and was married to an Iraqi. Al Jazira is so connected to the "insurgents" they only seem to report anything that makes our troops look bad. So what if those animals killed those civilians and hung their bodies from that bridge...the "insurgents" and their followere were shown cheering, laughing and striking those poor souls bodies as they hung from that bridge. No comments made about that atrocity...after all, they were loyal muslims striking out at those traterous civilians who were there trying to correct the screwed-up conditions related to "dear old Saddam". Those people have been fighting among themselves for centuries and it is going to take more than a "few years" to introduce them to a democratic government.

Ok Arlene, there is no doubt in my mind that you have it figured out.

I now guess that the question is---should we be there to make change and if so why?

Our troops are doing an outstanding job and they have our support, but the mission and time frame leave question.

How long should we expect them to engage in the dirty work of war when the people that we are trying to help hold us in scorn?

GSO

WE should have never been there in the First Damn place............They don't want a free iraq.....so why are we there......tell me please......

d c tavepont,
    we're there for the same reason Marines fought anywhere else--they sent us there. that's what Marines do.

Originally posted by Timber
    I am sure he did what he had to. and the only thing I see wrong is the geek got the tape through without being confiscated.
    Semper Fi
    Should have shot the camera too!

Good luck brother!

He was doing his JOB...

Give that Young Warrior a Medal...he may have saved his brothers and himself !!

Thread Information