Making Marines on Discovery Channel
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Making Marines on Discovery Channel

Hey, did anyone else see that three part making Marines show on the discovery channel the other night? (sat) was that something new, or has it been around awhile?

It seemed pretty good, but the recruits sure did smile a hell of alot on it.

I seen that tonight hardjedi I couldnt believe all that, them poolies was laughin and it blew me away....

This is about the 4th time the series "Making Marines" has been shown on Discovery networks.
    I've watched it a few times.

i mean, overall it seemedok, though I feel they focused too much on the Females. but that's just me. and things sure did look different from my MCRD time. but I guess thats to be expected.

I agree Hardjedi.
    I can't relate to the female training and, at times, found the emotions of these female recruits annoying.
    The training seemed much different then when I went through in '65. I guess, overall, the training has changed for the better although alot of political correctness might be part of the mix now.
    I'd sure like to take a trip down to PI and hang around a couple of days to observe in person.

THATS THE DIFFERENCE OF THE OLD CORPS AND THE NEW CORPS.

not that there is anything wrong with it at all, and I guess SOMEONE has to do it, but that kid who was joining to be in the bugle corps kinda made me laugh.

I know I know, they are Marines too, but I just never in my LIFE woulda joined the MARINE CORPS, to be in a marching band. Those are the guy's we used to beat up in high school, after all. LOL

that being said, I always DID love hearing the Marine Corps band play. Go figure. it's a quandry .

snipowsky
    Guest Free Member

Thumbs up Discovery Times

Anyone watch Discovery Times aka DTIMES? I've seen that Making Marines a few times on the Discovery Channel. DTIMES is a lot better than the Discovery Channel, especially the Off To War series. After watching that, I totally understand why we are losing so many troops in Iraq. With all these National Guard units fighting a war that Active Duty should be handling, it's no wonder things are totally FUBAR over there!

Makes me sick how ill-trained these Guard people are, we are just sending these people to the slaughter. If you don't have DTIMES get it Marines, you will love it. That's about the only channel I find myself watching anymore, especially if you are military minded like myself. I can't get enough of it. Very interesting channel to say the least!

Registered User Free Member decuervo's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I don't think the "Making Marines" accurately portrayed what it was really like for us. We all know that it was cleaned up and made palatable for the delicate civilian sensitivity. I saw no games like running to and from the bulk head to the edge of your rack for an hour, or people being IT'd, or the level of intense training I know I saw when I was there 10 years ago. I wish they'd shown it like it really was, dirty, nasty, and the ordeal that makes men Marines. Maybe if one of us ever gets into telecommunications we can do a REAL series.

Registered User Free Member cjwright90's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    We should get a satalite station and run it like it should be. That way, like Stern says, the FCC can't get involved. No one complaining because I said the F word on the air. Drill Instructors never say that, though.

Re: Discovery Times

Originally posted by snipowsky
    Anyone watch Discovery Times aka DTIMES? I've seen that Making Marines a few times on the Discovery Channel. DTIMES is a lot better than the Discovery Channel, especially the Off To War series.

If you don't have DTIMES get it Marines, you will love it. That's about the only channel I find myself watching anymore, especially if you are military minded like myself. I can't get enough of it. Very interesting channel to say the least!
    You're right snipowsky.
    Another good channel is DWINGS.
    I watch both almost daily.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    I take it that it was nothing like the first half of Full Metal Jacket

You are pukes, you are the lowest form of life on earth, you're not even human-f*cking-beings, you're nothing but unorganized grab-asstic pieces of amphibian sh*t!

The first part of Full Metal Jacket in boot camp slides into the suicide in the head.
    The movie gives the viewer a fairly good look at boot camp.
    More like what "Making Marines" is like.
    BTW.....I personally witnessed a guy loose it in Staging Battalion in 1966. This guy knew he was headed for Vietnam and could not hack it. He went beserk in the squadbay one day. Took out a few windows with his fists, busted up a few things, threw his gear around.
    The MP's took him away.
    Never saw him again nor learned his fate.

Registered User Free Member fulmetaljackass's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    They're definitely going to clean things up for television. Been there, done that, and d@mn tv makes it look a he!! of a lot easier than it was!

Speaking yet again on the differences between old Corps and new Corps, I think they've watered down training in some ways and made it more effective in others, so it kind of balances out.

Case in point: Did anyone see the interview with the apache pilot(s?) on (it was either 60 Minutes or 20/20, can't remember which). When asked about the Marines who rescued them, the pilot's eyes went wide as saucers and he described them as "hollow-eyed killers" and said that they were even scarier than the Iraqis holding them hostage. That's just GOTTA say something for new Corps, huh?

Also, my history teacher was a Marine in 'Nam and a drill instructor afterwards. He was good friends with a WWII Marine who was absolutely horrified that the 'Nam era DI's hit their recruits.

On the other hand, though, my history teacher has told me about when he was a Drill Instructor. That was the stuff that true-life legends are made of, and pc watering down has taken that away from us.

Saw "Making Marines" when it first hit the air about two years ago as I recall. Good, but a bit to much on the "ladies" for me--can't relate.

My experience at PI in 62 WAS Gunny Hartman and first half of FMJ. I watch the movie 3 or 4 times a year just for the memories! AND always on 10 November

Surprised that "FullMetalJackass" has a WW2 contact that was horrified at the occassional "slap upside the head" that I certainly remember all to well. I seem to recall something called "rocks and shoals" that allowed for a good beating prior to the Nam era DI's.

S/F

Thread Information