In Remembrance Mt. Fuji Fire 25 year Anniversary
Create Post

My brothers! It's been 25 years since that day that you took the final freedombird to be with our Lord and Marine family that has gone on before us! We haven't ever let a day go by that we don't remember you and all the times we shared, through the great times and sad times. Through the dear john letters, weddings and births at home! Everyday is just like yesterday, as we move on! We, that have survived, have moved on, but not without you. We have kept you close, deep in our hearts, memories, and daily thoughts! We have shared our times together, with family and friends throughout the years! Yes, we even have shed many selfish tears at times that we remember! But, we REMEMBER and WE WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER!!! You will never be forgotten!!
    Rest easy my brothers! The Lord is standing watch!!!!

Until we meet again, at the gates, Semper Fi!!!

October 19th, 1979

"Death is nothing at all. I have only slipped away into the next room.
    I am I, and you are you. Whatever we were to each other, that we still are.
    Call me by my old familiar name, speak to me in the easy way which you always used.
    Put no difference in your tone, wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow.
    Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together.
    Play, smile, think of me, pray for me.
    Let my name be ever the household word that it always was.
    Let it be spoken without effort, without the trace of shadow on it.
    Life means all that it ever meant.
    It is the same as it ever was; there is unbroken continuity.
    Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?
    I am waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near, just round the corner.
    All is well."

Rest In Peace

Ellie

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings
    We (3/6) were in Gitmo when we got the news. I had spent a run up at Fuji with 3/4 in '77.

Rest in Peace my Brothers
    ...till we meet at Heavens Gates

Terry
    LCpl; USMC

I Remember!

I was reading a Memorial Day article encouraging the readers to remember the fallen, and it reminded me of a dismal friday afternoon, October 19 1979, a payday, but with the typhoon, everyone just hit the rack! So I did a search, and found this site! I was there that day, and I was incredibly lucky. You see, when the water flooded the camp, my team was called to help, so I was standing in my quanset hut, getting dressed when I saw the glow in the window. Once we saw that, it was all we could do to get down the hill, dressed or not. I remember when the first casualty was carried into the basecamp storage facility at the bottom of the mountain. I remember that several hundred voices stopped at once, and you could hear a pin drop. I knew a couple of the dead/wounded, but not really. Chowhall line conversations, or maybe a game of pickup hoops doesn't really count as knowing someone, but I did. I remember how I felt when we got back to Okinowa, and the other BN there referred to it a Col. Redgraves BBQ, and I remember standing ready with E-tools and Flaqjackets on the PT field ready to shut them up. I remember calling my mom to tell her everything was okay, because I thought for sure she would have heard about it, but she hadn't. I remember an article in Readers Digest about the survivors, and the pain they went through down in Texas at the burn unit. I was a peace-time marine mostly, but I remember that afternoon! I guess just remembering those guys, is what this weekend is all about. I feel a little guilty, because 30 minutes ago, I was just grumbling that my boat wasn't ready for the lake.....Thanks again for the site, and for the reminder, even to one of us that was there!

Ric Kelperis
    STA Platoon
    2/4

Thread Information