Rumsfeld Back Peddle
Create Post
    yellowwing
    Guest Free Member

Rumsfeld Back Peddle

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said Tuesday he was misunderstood when he stated hours earlier that he knew of no "strong, hard evidence" linking Saddam Hussein's Iraq and al Qaeda.
    "I have acknowledged since September 2002 that there were ties between al Qaeda and Iraq," Rumsfeld said in a Web site statement issued following remarks he made to the Council on Foreign Relations in New York Monday.

"Today at the Council, I even noted that 'when I'm in Washington, I pull out a piece of paper and say "I don't know, because I'm not in that business, but I'll tell you what the CIA thinks" and I read it'."

In the new statement, issued on the Pentagon Web site, Rumsfeld listed what he said were arguments for suggesting links between al Qaeda and Iraq under Saddam, including what the CIA regarded as "credible evidence" that al Qaeda leaders had sought contacts in Iraq who could help them acquire weapons of mass destruction.

Rumsfeld, during a question-and-answer session before the Council on Foreign Relations, had been asked to explain the connection between Saddam and Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda network -- one of the U.S. arguments for launching a war on Iraq.

He replied: "To my knowledge, I have not seen any strong, hard evidence that links the two."

Osama Bin Laden is still alive and scheming.

1,000 bodies later...go ahead and vote for this team. This statement is not far behind Secretary State Colin Powell's about, "Sorry, we were wrong"

George is going to defeat himself in November. Even if your are not "Fonda' Kerry", this Iraq coverup is going to sink the current leadership.

Rumsfield ??? omg i cant believe this guy I dont even think he knows where he is at times...

----And "Fonda Kerry" will do better? The JFK boy is a joke, don't waste your vote---we need to stay the course at this time and keep the pressure on.

No, I don't like the war or the way we are fighting it but I have yet to hear a better way to protect our way of life and the people of America.

The war was brought to us and we are answering!

I guess the question is---where do you want to fight it?

Do you really think the JFK want-to-be has an answer? I don't think so!

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Ya know, I haven't really heard how Ralph would handle things. Maybe I should give a listen!

Hmmmmnnn Well, we all KNOW yellowing is a Liberal, and a Support of sorts of Kerry, but still, he's not a bad guy for all of that.

My question is this: when has the government ever NOT lied to us about what it is doing and it's reasons for doing so? I am for sticking this one out with GW, cause all I can see Kerry doing is trying to appease the international " community", the french and so forht, and it is my BELIEF that this will only get us in even WORSE triouble.

just my .02

OH! and NAder is a bigger moron than Ross Perot! he should be on the ballot, but god help us if he ever WERE elected

greenside i did not say a thing about our commander in chief but this rumsfield guy is something else. How many times has rumsfield went on National TV and made statements that nobody, not even the republican party new what the hell he was even talking about..

Thread Information