Registered User Free Member cjwright90's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Kenny?

Registered User Free Member cjwright90's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Just kidding Enviro.
    So any of us can go to a cash sales and get a set? Or only currently active Marines?

your four years dont mean squat after your an officer and no officers dont have hash marks....

None that I've ever seen and I worked for a mustang by the name of Major Charlie Dankmyer.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    No hash marks on Officer's Uniforms is correct. But that Good Conduct ribbon will easily mark you as a Mustang!

Registered User Free Member fulmetaljackass's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    We need more Mustangs

Registered User Free Member decuervo's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the answers all, oh well, gonna miss the hash marks. Thanks yellowwing, at least I stiill have the GCM huh?
    Thanks fulmetaljackass.

Registered User Free Member enviro's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    You can't go to cash sales and get them but you can buy better quality from other vendors over the internet. It's better off that way I think CJ.

As a side note: we discuss uniforms a lot around here. We Marines of Leatherneck.com span so many generations and ranks, that this issue could become convoluted very easy - especially when giving advice to current Active Marines. I propose that we issue the website address I have listed so many times before anytime a question comes up.

Consider this: the uniform board meets every six months or so and comes up with a whole slew of changes. Some minor and some major. If you havebeen out of the Marine Corps for more than 6 months, you are already out of date or what we call "Old Corps".

EVERYDAY new guidance comes out with a policy change or something similar. Another website you should check out if you want to stay current is: http://www.usmc.mil/maradmins/maradm....nsf/maradmins

I stay current with the latest happenings of the Marine Corps because I have constant contact with prospective recruits. In order to advise them, I have to stay current. (Yes the local recruiters and I get along REAL well!!)

I hesitate to say all of this because I am a history buff as well and I like to hear from the "Old Corps" about how it was.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Good idea, enviro.

At one time every Marine was required to have 6 crewneck white t-shirts. Then when a certain Commandant decided to have his official photo with a V-neck t-shirt, we were suddenly required to have 3 v-necks and 3 crewnecks. P*ssed us off royally!

yeah tellem what the old Corps was really like enviro these kids have no idea...

Registered User Free Member enviro's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    This always reminds me of a letter to the Marine Times when we were switching over to the new digital cammies. The letter was from a LCPL and he was upset that "tradition" was going to be broken.

First I laughed, then my viens started pumping with a little outrage that some wet-behind-the-ears 19 year old would start slamming the Commandant and preaching tradition to all of us.

Fact is, if he had had more than 8 months in the Marine Corps, he would have noticed that things change. If he had read any number of Marine History books he would have noticed that the Cammies have had significant changes in 2000, 1998, 1996, 1994, 1991, 1989, 1970's, 1960's, all the way back to 1775. Butterfly Collars, flaps on the side, USMC on the pocket, nametapes - dang, I could go on forever.

Tradition seems to lean on the side of change - not staying stagnant. I'm sure after 4 years, the LCPL is a bit wiser.

Another historical note about our cammies - I read a cartoon published in 1942 where it showed young marines "salting" and "slightly bleaching" their cammies so they would appear to be a "Salty Marine". How many of us have done that or know a young Marine who has. Some things never change....

Registered User Free Member decuervo's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    hahaha! Was talking to some Army guys today and they're green with jealousy over the new digital cammies. They got some crap now called ACU's that look like they belong in a duck blind (they're REAL TREE camoflauge). They're awful!

"Bleaching the uniform to look salty"---Really Gunny, I've been in the Corps a long time now---uh, well, 18 months---uh, sure Gunny, I'll get it taken care of right away!---hey, anyone going to the PX? I need a ride---LOL

as a recomendation I would suggest investing a few bucks to get an anodized waist plate. If you think you will be in the Marines for awhile and will use your blues I would also suggest getting your blouse "button holed" by a tailor. In so doing you can remove the brass buttons before sending it off for dry cleaning, you can also get anodized buttons as well which look really sharp and reduce the maintenance time greatly. The Marine shop at Quantico has everything and you can mail order or call them. Some of the larger PX's (like CamPen or MCRD) may have everything as well. I can tell you from my experience that I was glad to done this. Anything worth doing is worth doing right. Enjoy your time in your blues and always maintain your bearing out of respect for those who have gone before you (and for yourself) Good luck!

My father wore his dress blues at my wedding 23 years ago. He is getting ready to wear them again at my sons wedding. He is his best man. No man in either ceremony will be as dressed as he.
    My father Jackie Davis is and will always be proud to be a Marine.

Thread Information