Hello, hello is anybody there?

This is the west coast, hello Florida!

Is anybody there?

Anybody?

Anybody?

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Hi, Sparrowhawk! All is well in Miramar (just south of Ft. Lauderdale and Hollywood Beach). We were lucky, once again and guess what? No one sent me out for pizza like they did during the last two hurricanes. LOL!
    Never lost power but did experience wind and rain gusts during the night.
    Outside the sky is grey, different shades of gray, and the wind gusts are, in a way , quite refreshing. I don't see any tree or street damage in the immediate neighborhood.
    Had some folks get zinged for the second time. For instance, the tree that didn't fall down during Frances has now fallen on both your car and roof. My prayers and thoughts go out to them...as well as to any one who had their world upside down within the past few months.
    Once again, I'm okay, we are okay.
    Today will be a good day to count the blessings.
    Adios from Florida.
    Gary

I though I saw you on

The Accuweather Channel...

Osotogary, I think you're the only there....

JERRY!

Where have you bean?

I though you were out of there?

Here is a close-up of Jerry,
    showing us he also survived Hurricane Jeanne

When will the
    "I survived Hurricane Jeanne"
    t-shirts be available?

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    (I still say 4 hurricanes is some kind of plot to disenfranchise Al Gore again)

Credits
    Savings
    Yellowwing-
    I say it all started when Lee Iococca took over Chrysler many moons ago. The world hasn't been the same since.

Sparrowhawk-
    I must say that the picture you have of me is not one of my best. I think you captured my bad side. LOL.
    It looks like Shaffer and I almost look alike as well. All Floridians look alike...don't they?

I keep tabs on you folks

I think it has sometime to do with alligators and in-breeding.. LMAO

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    still here... still dry... still with power...

Credits
    Savings

Lightbulb Food safety after a power outage

Last modified Sun., September 26, 2004 - 12:58 AM Originally created Sunday, September 26, 2004

A power outage that lasts more than four hours can cause concerns about food safety. Experts suggest keeping an appliance thermometer in the refrigerator and freezer at all times to make sure a safe temperature -- 40 degrees for the refrigerator and zero for the freezer -- is maintained.

Never taste food to determine its safety. Some foods may look and smell fine, but bacteria can multiply rapidly if food is left at room temperature longer than two hours.

REFRIGERATED FOODS

• Food kept at 40 degrees or above for less than two hours generally is safe. Here are examples of foods to discard after two hours, and what should be safe longer:

BREAKFAST FOODS

Safe: Waffles, pancakes, bagels, sauces, spreads and jams.

DAIRY PRODUCTS

Discard: Milk, cream, sour cream, buttermilk, evaporated milk, yogurt, baby formula (opened), eggs (fresh eggs, hard-cooked in shell, egg dishes, egg products), custards and puddings, soft cheeses (blue, brie, Camembert, Colby, cottage, cream, Edam, jack, mozzarella, Muenster, Neufchatel, ricotta, Roquefort), shredded cheeses, low-fat cheeses.

Safe: Butter, margarine, hard cheeses (cheddar, Parmesan, provolone, Romano, Swiss) processed cheeses, commercial- grated hard cheese in a can or jar.

FRUITS

Discard: Fresh cut-up fruits.

Safe: Opened fruit juices, opened canned fruits, fresh fruits such as coconut, raisins, dried fruits, candied fruits and dates.

MEAT, POULTRY AND SEAFOOD

Discard: Fresh or leftover meat, poultry, fish or seafood; thawing meat or poultry; meat, tuna, shrimp, chicken or egg salad; gravy; stuffing; lunchmeats, hot dogs, bacon, sausage, dried beef; pizza -- any topping; canned meats not labeled "keep refrigerated" but refrigerated after opening; canned hams labeled "keep refrigerated"; deli-prepared foods, such as salads, coleslaw, cooked meats or poultry or luncheon meats.

PIES AND PASTRIES

Discard: Cream-filled pastries; custard, cheese-filled or chiffon pies; refrigerator biscuits, rolls, cookie dough; cooked pasta or spaghetti; pasta salads with mayonnaise or vinegar base; fresh pasta; cheesecake.

Safe: Fruit pies; bread, cakes and cookies, rolls, muffins, quick breads.

SAUCES

Discard: Opened mayonnaise, tartar sauce, horseradish (if above 50 degrees for more than eight hours); white wine Worcestershire sauce; fish sauces (oyster sauce); Hoisin sauce.

Safe: Peanut butter, jelly, relish, taco and barbecue sauce, mustard, ketchup, olives; opened vinegar-based dressings.

VEGETABLES

Discard: Cooked vegetables, opened vegetable juice, baked potatoes, commercial garlic oil, potato salad.

Safe: Fresh mushrooms, herbs and spices; raw vegetables.

FROZEN FOODS

MEAT, POULTRY AND SEAFOOD

• Refreeze items still containing ice crystals and discard items that have thawed or are above 40 degrees for more than two hours: beef, veal, lamb, pork and ground meats, poultry and ground poultry, variety meats (liver, kidney, heart, chitterlings), casseroles, stews, soups, seafood.

DAIRY

• Refreeze items still containing ice crystals and discard if items have thawed or are above 40 degrees for more than two hours: milk, eggs (out of shell) and egg products, cheese (soft and semi-soft), shredded cheeses, casseroles containing milk, cream, eggs, soft cheese, cheesecake.

• Refreeze all hard cheeses.

• Discard all ice cream and frozen yogurt.

FRUITS

• Refreeze juices, but discard if they smell yeasty.

VEGETABLES

• Refreeze if items still contain ice crystals and discard if items have thawed or are above 40 degrees for more than six hours: home or commercially packaged or blanched juices.

BREADS AND PASTRIES

• Refreeze breads, rolls, cakes, pie crusts and commercial and homemade bread dough.

• Refreeze if items still contain ice crystals and discard if items have thawed or are above 40 degrees for more than two hours: cakes, pies, pastries with custard or cheese filling.

OTHER

• Refreeze if items still contain ice crystals and discard if items have thawed or are above 40 degrees for more than two hours: casseroles, frozen meal entrees.

Source: USDA, Food Safety Inspection Service
    http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-onlin...16741745.shtml

Jeanne was downgraded from a hurricane to a tropical storm Sunday after sweeping across Florida and knocking out power to more than 1.8 million customers. Risk Management Solutions, a catastrophe modeling firm that works for the insurance industry, estimated Jeanne could cause between $4 billion and $8 billion in insured losses in the United States.

Projected path of Jeanne

To all you Florida Marines's (and regular people as well), I'm sure I speak for everyone on this site when I say that our thought's and prayers are with you at all times! You guys are still there-what does that say about the Marine spirit? Best of luck...

Credits
    Savings
    survived... lost power for about 24 hours (60 hours after Frances), and it will take a day or two to clean up the yard... other than that, no problems...

Registered User Free Member tracrat's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Went on a relief effort after Ivan tore up the panhandle. Stayed there a week then convoyed back with the other officers in time for Jeanne. After seeing what Ivan did to P'cola and the surrounding area, I have a new found respect for Mother Nature. Spoke to a captain of Marines while there. He was stationed at the N.A.S. His office was now the back of his pick up truck. We here in northeast Florida were much better off than our panhandle cousins. And just think, still 2 more months till the hurricane season ends.

Credits
    Savings

Lightbulb HEALTH Q & A: Steps to recovering safely in the wake of a hurricane

this, and my earlier post on food disposal after a power outage are now laminated to the front of my refrigerator... - TG

Last modified Wed., September 29, 2004 - 12:23 PM Originally created Wednesday, September 29, 2004

After a hurricane, when cleanup begins and electricity is still out in many areas, residents should take precautions to ensure their safety. Below are some guidelines to follow during the days and weeks of the aftermath Hurricane Jeanne. For more information, visit the Florida Department of Health Web site at www.doh.state.fl.us. or call the Florida Emergency Information Line: 1-800-342-3557 or the Public Information Emergency Support Function: (850) 921-0384.

Q: What do I do about standing water from a flood?

Don't allow children to play in floodwater, which can expose them to water contaminated with fecal matter. Disinfect toys that have come in contact with floodwater. To protect against mosquitoes, do your best to rid your home of standing water where mosquitoes can lay their eggs.

Q: What do I do about food that was left sitting when the power was off?

Discard any food that has been at room temperature for two hours or more and any food that has an unusual odor, color or texture.

A full cooler will maintain its cold temperatures longer than one that is partially filled, so it is important to pack plenty of extra ice or freezer packs to ensure a constant cold temperature. If available, 25 pounds of dry ice will keep a 10-cubic-foot freezer below freezing for three to four days. Use care when handling dry ice, and wear dry, heavy gloves to avoid injury.

Thawed food can usually be eaten if it is still "refrigerator cold," or re-frozen if it still contains ice crystals.

Eggs and other foods need to be stored in temperatures 40 degrees Fahrenheit or slightly below. Do not eat foods that may have spoiled.

Fight "cross-contamination," the transfer of harmful bacteria to food from other foods, cutting boards or utensils. Never place any type of food on a plate that previously held raw meat, poultry or seafood. Use a meat thermometer to ensure that food reaches a safe internal temperature.

Use sanitized food and water bowls for your pets and be sure they do not drink from flood-contaminated surfaces.

Q: How do I safely clear debris after the storm?

If possible, work in pairs or groups, take short breaks and work during the cooler hours of the day. Wear goggles, heavy gloves and steel-toed boots.

Never assume that water-damaged structures are safe; leave immediately if shifting or unusual noises occur. Avoid lifting more than 50 pounds of debris or building materials. Two or more people should move bulky objects.

To prevent electrocution in wet areas, turn power off at the main breaker. Never handle a downed power line.

Never bring gasoline or diesel-powered pumps, generators or pressure washers indoors as they release carbon monoxide, a deadly, colorless, odorless gas.

Set priorities for cleanup tasks and pace the work over several days or weeks. Avoid exhaustion by taking frequent rest breaks and resuming a normal sleep schedule as soon as possible. Take advantage of disaster relief programs and services in your community.

Q: Is my drinking water safe after the storm?

Hurricanes, especially if accompanied by a tidal surge or flooding, can contaminate the public water supply, which can cause illness. Listen for public announcements about the safety of your water supply. Until services are fully restored, minimize the use of washing machines and flush toilets only as necessary. Use portable toilets where provided. Fix any plumbing leaks as soon as possible. While lift stations and sewage treatment plants are out of power, avoid adding water to sewer lines as it may stop the proper function. Report any sewage spills to the utility for cleanup and sanitation. Such spills may be stabilized with an application of lime. Restrict access to such areas for 48 hours after cleanup.

Q: What about water from my well?

Well owners must disinfect both the well and plumbing with chlorine bleach to ensure all infectious agents are killed. If you have water treatment devices, remove all membranes, cartridges and filters and replace them after the chlorination process is completed.

Here are some steps to chlorinate a well:

• If the water is discolored, run the water for up to 10 minutes until it is clear.

• Turn off, then drain your hot water heater. Chlorine is not effective in water hotter than 105 degrees.

• Clean the work area around the top of the well. Remove grease and mineral deposits from accessible parts of the well head and flush the outside surfaces with half a cup of laundry bleach in 5 gallons of water.

• Turn off the pump. Remove the cap or the well plug on the rubber seal. If you have questions, contact a licensed well driller. If you have a submersible pump, you may also want to contact a licensed well driller for advice on disinfection procedures.

• Try to coat the sides of the casing as you pour. If you get chlorine on the pump or wiring, flush it thoroughly with fresh water to prevent corrosion.

• Recap or plug the well opening and wait 30 minutes.

• Turn on and, if needed, re-prime the pump. Open all the faucets on the system and allow the water to run until there is a noticeable smell of chlorine.

• Turn off all faucets and allow the chlorine to remain in the system for at least eight hours.

• Backwash water softeners, sand filters and iron removal filters with chlorinated water.

• Again open all the faucets and run the water until there is no chlorine smell, for up to 15 minutes.

• The only way to verify that the water is safe to drink is to have it tested. Contact your county health department or visit www.doh.state.fl.us or www.FloridaDisaster.org.

Source: Florida Department of Public Health

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-onlin...16767261.shtml

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks TracGunny for the info.
    You forgot about keeping the beer cold!
    Seriously, if all Floridians follow some common sense guidelines, some of which you have provided, recovery would not be as painfull as it already is. Good work.Thanks again.
    I personally appreciate your post.
    Gary

Thread Information