Depot Marine awarded Bronze Star
Submitted by: MCRD Parris Island
Story Identification #: 200482693517
Story by Lance Cpl. Brian Kester

MCRD/ERR PARRIS ISLAND, S.C. (Aug. 27, 2004) -- Some Marines wait an entire career for the opportunity to prove their mettle in the crucible of combat. After 18 years, Maj. John Vincent, Recruit Training Regiment S-4, was no different.

When his opportunity finally came in Iraq last year, he proved that he and his Marines were up to the challenge, and he was awarded the Bronze Star for those actions at RTR Headquarters Aug. 20.

Vincent's battalion was responsible for supplying all of the forces involved with I MEF that were preparing for war. In that aspect, Vincent was also tasked with commanding a convoy that was to establish Support Area Basilone.

Because of his actions enroute to establish that support area, Vincent was presented with the award for his actions during Operations Enduring and Iraqi Freedom from January to May 2003.

With only three hours notice, Vincent planned his strategy, coordinated the 200-vehicle tactical convoy and set out to Qalat Sikar Airfield Iraq to repair the airfield and create Support Area Basilone.

According to the citation, the tactical convoy had been moving smoothly, when they began receiving incoming mortar, medium machine gun, Rocket Propelled Grenades and small arms fire from what appeared to be a coordinated ambush.

"For about 15 or 20 minutes it was like watching an action movie," said Vincent. "It was kind of strange. It was like we were suspended up over it watching, and it was something that I will never forget."

With the convoy enroute to re-supply Marines with critical war fighting sustainment items such as ammunition, fuel and chow, the attacks could have drastically hampered any success of that mission.

To help counter that assault, Vincent managed to acquire air support. The convoy again embarked and traveled North on Route 7. Again, upon approaching Ah Shatrah, Iraq, the convoy came under more intense mortar, RPG, and small arms fire. The Light Armored Reconnaissance and the AH-1 Cobra helicopters began engaging targets and the Marines in the vehicles returned fire when fired upon.

According to the citation, Vincent's calm, measured reactions allowed him to engage the enemy, maintain communications with supporting establishments and led the convoy out of danger.

This citation very well could have said, 'he got to be in charge of a bunch of great guys,' said Vincent. "I would be remiss if I did not talk about the Marines that were with me. I had the best kids in America as far as I am concerned. A lot of them had just come out of Parris Island."

We train all of our life for something to happen, and hope it never does, but when it does, it is good to know that the Marines are trained right, said Vincent.

"Every [person] left from over there knowing that 'every Marine a rifleman' is not just a slogan, it is a way of life," he said. "I had dispersers, legal clerks and supply guys. There wasn't an infantry guy in the whole convoy. We even had corpsmen firing machineguns. When it came time for us to deploy them, they did it, and I was proud of that."

While Vincent will always remember March 27 as a day of infamy, it will stand as a day that a Marine realized that he was a factor. In Vincent's words, he came to the conclusion that, although he is one man, he could make a difference.

"You know that you are trained to react that way," said Vincent, a former enlisted Marine. "My big thing was, I knew I had about 750 people counting on me to keep my cool, to stay on the radio and do the things that I needed to do. But when you have got helicopters shooting right over the top of you and stuff is blowing up all around you, it is a little bit harder to remain focused."

Even though that focus was on the job at hand, he placed an equal amount of his focus on his troops.

"He was always involved with what his Marines were doing," Capt. Anish Raub, WFTBn. adjutant. "He was not just there to accomplish the mission, he was there to [support] those Marines. That is the kind of person that he is, he takes care of his Marines. Him getting the Bronze Star just speaks to the kind of person he is. I feel really proud to know him."

Major John Vincent, Recruit Training Regiment S-4, speaks after receiving the Bronze Star at RTR Headquarters Aug. 20. According to the Bronze Star citation, Vincent's calm, measured reactions allowed him to engage the enemy and maintain communications with supporting establishments, enabling him to lead a 200-vehicle convoy to safety.
Photo by: Lance Cpl. Brian Kester

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...F?opendocument

Ellie