Miramar collides with Pendleton in tackle football
Submitted by: MCAS Miramar
Story Identification #: 20048517625
Story by Cpl. T.D. Smith

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION MIRAMAR, Calif. (Aug. 6, 2004) -- A lot of heart, a wealth of dedication and excess of grit was witnessed at a recent rival match up between team Miramar and Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton at Pendleton's Area 11 field in the Commanding General's Cup Intramural Tackle-Football League.

In this second meeting the underdog, Miramar, had something to prove after their sizable loss to Pendleton, who in six weeks of play, had yet to be scored on.

Practice and planning are key in any sport and this game was no exception. "We are looking to beat them up the middle. (Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton) have watched every game we have played. We need to cut out the mistakes and focus on playing our game and not theirs," said Sgt. Shawn Thomas, non-commissioned officer in charge, aviation material screening unit, Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 11. "When our defense plays its best, nobody can beat us. Our offense can really move the ball."

The added pressure of pursuing their rivals didn't seem to affect the players on the team. Most were taking the event in stride.

"We've gotten better since we last played them. We have to get out there and do what we know we can do: play football. Just treat it like any other game," said Lance Cpl. Paul Williams, patrolman, provost marshal's office, Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron.

Another strategy for the game was, "Score the first drive and keep our mind clear and focused. Let the momentum of scoring the first drive take you all the way," said Pfc. Glenn Price, communication electronics maintenance technician, MALS-11.

The Miramar team was able to initiate the first score early in the first quarter with Lance Cpl. Brent Bean, calibration technician, MALS-11, charging the pigskin into the end zone. The following field goal attempt sailed through the goal post.

"I've been playing since I was little. I try to go out there and prove myself, not just to other people, but to myself. I try to improve myself (constantly). I feel like I have gotten better every year. Plus, I've met a lot of good people coming out to join this team," said Bean.

One of the good people Bean was talking about was Lance Cpl. Roy Walker, aviation technician, Marine Fighter Attack Training Squadron 101, who was playing through pain due to cracked third and fourth ribs.

"I love the sport and I love the unity. Everybody else is sacrificing. They are in pain. If they are dedicated, I feel I can play," said Walker.

Unity isn't shown just in the team, but with its supporters as well. Some of the more severely injured team members were in the stands yelling for their team as were Sergeant Major Keith Williams, sergeant major, MALS-11, and Sergeant Major Thomas Howard, sergeant major, Marine Corps Air Bases Western Area.

On the field the solidarity is crucial, "You need everyone working together. It isn't just one guy who can carry the team," said Bean.

After all the pulling together and determination, the Miramar team lost in overtime 13-14. Miramar had the chance to pull even to their rivals, but a blocked field goal attempt upset their efforts to a victory.

Miramar still remains the overall second place team in the football tournament and is in good standing to meet Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton in the tournament championship, which has yet to be scheduled.

For more information on the football league, visit www.mccsmiramar.com.

Miramar's defense prepares to pound the opponent's offense as the quarterback recieves the snap and prepares a runing play. Photo by: Cpl T.D. Smith

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...E?opendocument

Ellie