Going to 1st Marine reunion in Wash, DC?
Create Post

Going to 1st Marine reunion in Wash, DC?

Well I broke down and will be going to the 1st Marine Division Annual Reunion, 11-15 August 2004 in Washington, DC.

Anyone else going?

The Reunion will be at the Marriott Wardman Park Hotel but I'll be staying at Bethesda Navy lodge, anyone have any ideas what is nearby that is a good place to visit in that area and to eat?

I would ask CAS to drive us around, but the last time she did that she dropped off everyone at ate & eye streets instead of at 8th & "I"

In the evening India Company 3/7 (Vietnam) will have a hospitality suit set up, so if you served in Nam drop by for a visit.

About 40-50 of the Marines that I served with in Nam will be there, if you want to meet some outstanding Marines, they come no better.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    'Hawk - I live across the river - drop a PM and I'll give you the number and take you out for a good Iriah pub meal AND BEER!

You are only 3 hours away from me Cook....... ....Always room at my house.......Coffee is always on......and the kids just stocked up the bar again.......LOL...

Ellie

Thanks Marinemom

I'll probably take you up on that Iris food and beer. My wife is Irish and we've been married for 27 years and I told her one of these days I'll take a chance and eat some Irish food. LOL

Ellie I won't show your invitation to my wife, she's always wanted to go to PA. Can't spoil her with Irish food and a trip to PA all in the same year. LOL

Cook...thanks for the heads up...Been to to the wall twice..would like to make this trip..Will let you know if I can make it...Gary

Cook/All,

I work in DC and would be happy to help (with some notice). Drop me a line, email, or PM.

Semper Fi

We will try another time then Cook......

Credits
    Savings
    OK Cook,
    I made a boo boo but that was over 2 years ago and I have been to 8th and I many many times since! What do you want to see and I can be your personal taxi service. I am now a certified DC driver...you can tell by the amount of anti psychotics I am on!!
    I have a meeting on the 12th but other than that, my calendar is open...gimme a call...

Credits
    Savings
    ONE MORE THING...COOK
    CHECK YOUR EMAIL!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The Bethesda Navy Lodge is located on the grounds of NIH and Bethesda Naval Hospital. There's really nothing around there fun-wise, but you may want to walk into the hospital and go to the Marine Liaison Office on the first deck and visit some of the wounded Marines/Corspmen there. Through Main hatch, turn right past the coffee counter and make another right - you'll see a sign for the liaison office and ask for one of the corporals or MSgt on deck.

If you go south down Wisconsin Avenue , you'll see some nice restaurants in Bethesda, but that's about it. There is the Medical Center Metro (subway) stop right there across the street from Bethesda Naval on Wisconsin, so you can easily access downtown DC and all the touristy stuff very easily (you can also make it to Arlington and Iwo for about $1.50).

Any questions - just send 'em my way - I live in Manassas, VA and have lived in DC and the area for the past 10 years.

I went to a 1st Mar. Div. reunion back in the early 90's.
    I had a great time, hooked up with a few buddies.
    At that time I was working as a "yellow hat" for the National Parks Service at the Vietnam Memorial as a volunteer.

Part of the package that I paid for at the reunion was a trip to Marine Corps Base, Quantico, VA. We were given a tour of the base and had lunch there. A visit to the PX at Quantico is where I purchased my Marine Corp display case for my ribbons & badges.

We also made a trip to 8th & I and experienced the incredible evening parade there.
    A must see !!.

I envy those of you going, but I cannot at this time.
    I will be there in spirit.

Originally posted by gwladgarwr
    ... but you may want to walk into the hospital and go to the Marine Liaison Office on the first deck and visit some of the wounded Marines/Corspmen there.
    Thanks Bro, that is on our schedule, plan on doing that.

SF

Cook

Sunset Parade

Cook,
    If you chance try to make a sunset parade at 8&I. You won't be sorry.

Dick Lavello

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Re: Sunset Parade

Originally posted by Amtracs
    Cook,
    If you chance try to make a sunset parade at 8&I. You won't be sorry.

Dick Lavello
    The 8th & I page now states that all Friday Evening Parades are now closed for the season. Go to mbw.usmc.mil/newmbw/default.asp

You can always go down there and be stand-by - someone always ends up not showing up. They let stand-bys in after a certain time if reservations are not claimed.

There is, additionally, the Sunset Parade at Iwo Jima on Tuesdays through August 17 are free and open to the public. The schedule for the rest of the summer is as follows:

June 8 - August 3 7:00 pm EST (Tuesdays)
    August 10 - August 17 6:30 pm EST (Tuesdays)

Closest Metro stops: Arlington Cemetery (Orange or Blue Lines) and Rosslyn (Blue Line). URL on Sunset Parade info:
    http://www.mbw.usmc.mil/parades/parade_sunsetdefault.asp

I'm trying to get reservations for my Legion post in Manassas, but it may not happen. Of course, all old Marines are welcome at American Legion Post 10 in Manassas, VA http://americanlegionpost10.com/

Tix at 8th & I are hard to come by. Sorry for the bad news!!

I won't be able to go, though I was with the 1st Marine Division in 1975-1977 (E 2/7) and 1978-1980 (HqCo, 7thMar), both at San Mateo.

Thread Information