Miracle Baby inspires blood drive
Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification #: 200471501951
Story by Gunnery Sgt. Lawrence Torres III

CAMP HANSEN, OKINAWA, Japan — (July 6, 2004) -- Thirty-three pints of blood were donated during an Armed Services blood drive here July 6, in the name of a 1-pound, 8-ounce premature baby who’s receiving care in U.S. Naval Hospital, Okinawa’s neonatal intensive care unit.

John C. Gonzalez was born 16 weeks earlier than expected at 3:50 p.m., June 15. Corporal Rex Gonzalez and his wife, Melissa, John’s parents, were told by USNH doctors that preemies born at 24 weeks gestation have a 30- to 40-percent chance of survival after delivery.

“He was black and blue and all swollen up,” said Gonzalez, training noncommissioned officer, Consolidated Personnel Administration Center, III Marine Expeditionary Force Headquarters Group. “We took turns holding him in our arms until 11 p.m. “At that time, he had a strong heartbeat and (no respiratory problems),” Gonzalez explained.

For babies born this early, multiple blood tests are required each day, according to Air Force Maj. Bobbi J. Hawk, the medical director for USNH neonatology. The amount of blood withdrawn may total more than one teaspoon a day, a deficit that eventually leads to anemia, a blood condition involving an abnormal reduction in the number of red blood cells.

“The baby will not have the mechanism or capability to produce blood and correct the anemia for another two months,” Hawk said. “In the interim, we must replace what we have taken out.”

Hawk said donor blood used to support premature babies must be given less than seven days after it is drawn from an individual’s arm to minimize the side effect of the preservative used for blood storage.

When Gonzalez heard about this, he gave one pint of his blood. While the life sustaining blood cells were flowing from his arm, he asked the representatives from the Armed Services Blood Program if they could hold a blood drive in the name of his premature son.

“He wanted to do the blood drive to help ‘the littlest Marine,’” said Tracy Parmer, blood donor recruiter. “I thought that (phrase) made it personal. How can you say no to that?”

A blood drive announcement was created on 8-by-11 paper showing a picture of John with wires and bandages covering more than half of his body. The flyer was placed on several buildings here and e-mailed to everyone in III MHG. Many of the Marines who work under Cpl. Gonzalez, as well as Marines he had never met, wanted to give blood.

“All Marines are suckers for dogs and little kids,” said Chief Warrant Officer 3 Thomas J. Sukalski, officer in charge, CPAC. “When I saw the pictures of Cpl. Gonzalez’s son, it was definitely a heart check.”

Some Marines set aside fears they had of donating blood.

“I saw the picture of Cpl. Gonzalez’s son with the tubes in him,” said Lance Cpl. Letitia Simpkins, Marine Corps integrated management systems clerk, 3rd Intelligence Battalion. “I’ve never given blood before, but after seeing that photo, it just seemed like an easy thing to do.”

The Marine support was a new experience for John’s mother, Melissa.

“I’m so glad,” said Melissa, as she began to cry. “The Marines have been amazing,” she continued before turning her face to hide the tears.

“She starts to cry when she talks about this,” her husband said while holding Melissa. “She’s new to the Marine Corps family, and she’s starting to see that when one of us needs help, Marines are always there.”

Blood is needed all year round, but it is critical during the summer months when people are outside and highly active, according to Parmer.

“This blood drive may be in John’s name, but I hope that the Marines here today will continue to donate because there are other people and other babies who will still need blood after this,” said Gonzalez. “By all rights, my son should not be here.”
Gonzalez says to this day, personnel still walk in to the NICU and say John is a “Miracle Baby.”

U.S. NAVAL HOSPITAL, OKINAWA, Japan – Corporal Rex Gonzalez and his wife, Melissa, visit their 1-pound, 8-ounce premature son, John C. Gonzalez, in the neonatal intensive care unit here July 1. Thirty-three pints of blood were given in John’s name during an Armed Services blood drive aboard Camp Hansen July 6. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Photo by: Pfc. T. J. Kaemmerer

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...4?opendocument

Ellie