Marines jump on Six Flags Trip
by Cpl. Denyelle D. D'Aveta
Marine Corps News
July 09, 2004

MARINE CORPS LOGISTICS BASE ALBANY, Ga -- Six Flags over Georgia honored Marines with an official Marine Day June 29. The event was planned with all specific services having a day honoring them.

Marines from Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany took part in the event, and spent a day in the sun at the popular theme park. The affair was open to active duty Marines, reservists and their spouses.

Although many Marines from MCLB went to Six Flags, the Single Marine Program made special arrangements for single Marines, including arranging transportation.

"This was a good opportunity for Marines to get away from day-to-day work and relax," said Sgt. Dexter White, Disbursing customer service noncommissioned officer in charge and Single Marine Program vice president. "It was also a good opportunity for single Marines to see what Georgia has to offer them."

Six Flags over Georgia paid tribute to the Marine Corps in many different ways. The park displayed Marine Corps vehicles, weapons, and even featured a pull-up competition.

"It meant a lot to be appreciated," said Lance Cpl. Jaime Butler, administration personnel clerk, Headquarters Battalion, MCLB. "You don't see places do things like that much and I really felt like people were thankful for what we do for our country."

While the event was in honor of Marines, it also served as a tool for education to those visiting the park that knew little about the Marine Corps.

"People there knew we were Marines, and I had many people thank me for serving and ask questions about our daily activities, such as training and what we go through overall," Butler said. "I think it was a good opportunity for people to learn about the Marine Corps and what it is really like. The people at the park had the chance to see the weapons, vehicles and talk to people that protect the country."