Female Marines’ stories sought
Create Post

Cool Female Marines’ stories sought

June 24, 2004

Female Marines’ stories sought

By Laura Bailey
    Times Staff Writer

If you’re a female leatherneck and have an interesting story about your time in the Corps, somebody wants to hear it. Retired Maj. Linda Lacy of Swansboro, N.C., is looking for stories for her second volume of “We Are Marines,” a newly published book on the lives of female Marines throughout the decades.
    Lacy, a former Post Exchange officer who retired from the Corps in 1990, self-published the first volume in May with the help of retired Sgt. Maj. Mary Sabourin.

“We wanted to know our history, who were the trailblazers, and the stories of women who made a difference to our Corps, country and world,” Lacy said.

The 274-page book contains historical information on prominent female Marines and on all-female Marine companies. But the largest section is devoted to the personal stories and reflections of about 200 women who served in the Corps from World War I to now.

Lacy solicited the stories through the Women Marines Association and through a notice on the Camp Lejeune, N.C., Web site. It is because they received so many stories that they are planning a second volume.

The women got the idea for the project after being inspired by a group of current day female Marines at a “Salute to Women” ceremony at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point last November.

“We realized that our male Marines have been honored and written about for their many accomplishments in battle, and rightly so, but their success has been supported through the decades by many talented female Marines,” Lacy said.

The book captures both unusual and everyday moments in the lives of female Marines and includes several pages for readers to record their own history for future generations.

Lacy said she is donating all proceeds from the first volume to the Women Marines Association, to be used for its 2006 convention in Louisville, Ky.

The soft-cover book can be purchased for $25 from the Camp Lejeune Marine Association Exchange or by sending $25 plus $4 for postage to: Mary Sabourin, 110 Bryan Court, Jacksonville, N.C. 28540.

To get your story into the next volume, email Lacy at robinl@gibralter.net or send a note to P.O. Box 2196, Swansboro, N.C. 28584.

An example story can be viewed here.

Name of your story___________(Year of your story)

Here is an example:

Show And Tell by Anonymous
    "I've been a woman Marine for 19 years. As a combat correspondent (photojournalist), I am one of the few privileged to work on naval ships for short periods of time, train in the field with grunts around the world, and fly with the wing. This is in the 1980's, long before women are allowed to do these things. I am proud of my accomplishments and always feel I can provide a strong role model for other women, but especially my daughter.

After years of watching the military system change to accept women on equal terms, it seems strange to me how misinformation can still exist that keeps a few of us down. During this current tour, I found it in the strangest place--my 11 year old daughter's six grade class.

She is attending a private Catholic school in the south to ensure she is getting a quality education. She never mentions what her mom does for a living to her friends or teachers, other than a journalist, and that is fine with me. Living in a civilian community can be difficult for military children.

One day, she returns home from school asking, "Mom, can you teach a class at my school in uniform?" I am thinking, this is a strange request so I ask, "Why?" She tells me the events of the day. It seems her history teacher spent an hour lecturing on the military, and particularly the Marines. She said, "Women are not allowed in the Marines, because they are too weak, and couldn't handle the physical demands and the stresses the way men do."

Well, I am chomping at the bit.....

I ask my daughter, "Did you defend me?" She replies, "No, mom. I was angry, but I figure I'd just bring you to class in uniform, and you can square the teacher away."

Well, let's say a woman Marine Gunnery Sergeant in dress blues shows up at her daughter's school the very next day to give a class. And I am proud to report for all women Marines, that the history teacher is now squared away. "

Semper Fi, Linda Lacy

Please send this back in the mail signing your name giving permission to use your article and/or not.

"The permission requested above is hereby granted to use my personal stories, pictures, letters, etc. in Linda Lacy's book about women Marines from 1940 to the Present."

_____________________________________ ____________________

Sign Name and Date
    Circle: Yes or No

_____________ I give permission to use my name.

http://www.lejeune.usmc.mil/mcb/woma...oryExample.asp

Ellie

Registered User Free Member CMyr's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Thumbs up Thank you

Thank you for posting this news item. I may not have a story or two "published", but it's nice to know there's someone out there who will listen - few people in my community understand or want to hear them. Again, thanks.

Welcome Aboard to the Best Marine Site on the net. Also welcome to your home away from home................
    We have a great crew of Marines in here from WW II to the present............
    Throw your sea bag in a corner, pull up a footlocker, sit and chat awhile.........

"AGAIN WELCOME ABOARD."

Ellie

Thread Information