Group greets new sergeant major
Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification #: 200462424755
Story by Lance Cpl. Martin R. Harris

CAMP KINSER, OKINAWA, Japan —(June 18, 2004) -- Sergeant Maj. Paul L. Forney relinquished his post as 3rd Force Service Support Group sergeant major to Sgt. Maj. Ronald Williams during a relief, appointment and retirement ceremony here June 18.

Upon completion of his Marine Corps career, Forney said he would take two months off with his wife Amelita and then pursue an outdoor job with plenty of physical labor.

“If I’ve trained just one person, or if I have set somebody in the right direction, my 30 years (have) been worth it,” said Forney, also a former reconnaissanceman, team leader, platoon sergeant and battalion chief of operations with 2nd Reconnaissance Battalion, 2nd Marine Division, located at Camp Lejeune, N.C.

As the new senior enlisted advisor, Williams said he plans to continue to build upon the same road that Forney has paved.

“In many ways, we are a great deal alike,” Williams said in reference to Forney. “We both love being around Marines, answering (their) questions and guiding them. We both just try to do the best we can to keep them in the fight.”

Williams will fill the void left in 3rd FSSG very well because he is a stellar Marine, said James B. Newberry, Marine Corps Base Camp Butler training operations officer and friend of Williams.

“I look at this organization sort of like building a house,” Newberry said. “Sergeant Maj. Forney has laid the foundation and now Sgt. Maj. Williams is going to come in and put the walls and the ceiling on that foundation.”

Williams, a Philadelphia native, started his career as a reservist in his hometown with Headquarters Battery, 3rd Battalion, 14th Marine Regiment.

“After two exercises, I knew that the reserves weren’t for me,” Williams said. “Fortunately, I grew up with the recruiter in our town. I said if he needed another Marine and could get me to Camp Pendleton (Calif.) I would go, and that’s the best move I ever made.”

After working his way up the ranks as a field radio operator at Camp Pendleton and Camp Hansen, Okinawa, Williams received orders to Drill Instructor School at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego.

During his time on the drill field, Williams completed 13 training cycles as a drill instructor, senior drill instructor and series chief drill instructor for Company A, 1st Recruit Training Battalion. He was also promoted meritoriously to staff sergeant while on the drill field.

Williams was later assigned to Communications Platoon, 1st Marine Regiment at Camp Pendleton, where he filled the billets of a radio chief, assistant communications chief and staff noncommissioned officer in charge of the regimental color guard.

Williams’ next assignment was back on the drill field. He returned to MCRD San Diego as the first sergeant for Company D, 1st Recruit Training Battalion. Williams then served as the chief drill instructor for the remainder of his tour.

Williams is not a stranger to 3rd Force Service Support Group. In 1994 he served as company first sergeant for Ordinance Maintenance Company, 3rd Material Readiness Battalion.

After Williams was selected for promotion to sergeant major, he served at Headquarters Battalion, Marine Corps Base Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii.

He later moved on to assume duties as sergeant major for Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron-466, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, located at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, Calif., which included
a 13-month deployment to Okinawa.

Upon his return, Williams participated in training missions to prepare for Operation Iraqi Freedom II. It was at this time when he received orders to report to the 3rd FSSG to post as sergeant major.

CAMP KINSER, OKINAWA, Japan — Brig. Gen. Frank A. Panter (left), Sgt. Maj. Ronald Williams and Sgt. Maj. Paul L. Forney stand at attention during the Marines’ Hymn at a relief, appointment and retirement ceremony here June 18. Williams relieved Forney as the new 3rd Force Service Support Group sergeant major. Panter is the commanding general of 3rd FSSG. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Martin R. Harris

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...B?opendocument

Ellie