Question for retirees
Create Post
    Registered User Free Member jdfairman's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Question for retirees

Ladies and Gentlemen:
    I read an article in the Marine Corps Times about a few military medical facilities (Bethesda, Quantico Medical Clinic and others) that have limited enrollment in Tricare Prime to active duty members only (no retirees). I wonder if some of you might shed some light on this. I was under the impression that retirees and their family members are allowed to enroll in Tricare Prime (at a very affordable rate) no questions asked.
    Thanks in advance,
    LT Fairman

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    http://www.mytricare.com/internet/tric/tri/tricare.nsf Lt. This website may answer some of your questions. Semper-Fi!! Chuck Hall

Credits
    Savings
    Yes, the smaller bases are unable to assist retirees but they are in areas where there are ample other medical facilities. Quantico is in Northern VA and close enough to Ft. Belvoir and Walter Reed.

Registered User Free Member jdfairman's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Oh OK... thanks. So its the facility itself that may not be able to assist, but the retiree can still enroll in Tricare Prime and use a different facility. I misunderstood. My wife handles all the paperwork and dealings with Tricare, so I'm not always up to speed on how its supposed to work.

Registered User Free Member Eaglestrikes's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Yep

I am enrolled in TRUCARE Prime. I live in Weaver Alabama. No Mil Hosp available. I am not in a CATCHMET. Therefore I use whichever facility I chose. Key is. Make sure you check, and see if they (medical clinic) will file TRICARE, or if TRICARE will cover you in these facilities.
    Some times you pay a higher co-pay.
    I can use MIL FAC just have to go there.

Credits
    Savings
    IT IS A LOT EASIER TO GO TO THE TRICARE WEBSITE OR CALL TRICARE AND ASK FOR A DOCTOR/FACILITY THAT TAKES TRICARE. I HAVE FOUND THAT PAYING OUT OF POCKET DOES NOT MEAN TRICARE WILL REIMBURSE YOU!! ALSO, THERE ARE A LOT OF TREATMENTS NOT COVERED BY TRICARE.

Thread Information