India Company DI makes difference one recruit at a time
Create Post

Cool India Company DI makes difference one recruit at a time

India Company DI makes difference one recruit at a time
    Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
    Story Identification #: 200461715353
    Story by Cpl. Shawn M. Toussaint

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(June 18, 2004) -- If the eyes are the windows to the soul, the soul of senior drill instructor Staff Sgt. Christopher J. McGuire, platoon 3074, Company I, must be a proud one in deed.

When the 32-year-old from Tucson, Ariz. talks about the Marine Corps, his eyes swell to the size of quarters and his voice booms with passion and power.

"Helping others make positive changes in their lives is the reward I receive from being a Marine and a drill instructor," said McGuire. "When parents come up to me and ask, 'How did you do it? How did you change my son?' It makes me feel like I am really making a difference."

McGuire's pride in the Corps was developed through persevering over many challenges. Unlike most Marines, McGuire received the opportunity to take on the challenge of recruit training twice.

After McGuire graduated from Mount Carmel High School in Rancho Penasquitos, the then 18-year-old arrived at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego in 1990 to undergo recruit training for the first time.

"I was four weeks away from being a Marine before I fractured my leg," said McGuire about how his first trip to the Depot ended.

Soon after, McGuire began taking courses at Palomar College in San Marcos, Calif. He was preparing to move back to Tucson and begin working and going to school at the University of Arizona.

After experiencing some employment and financial misfortune, McGuire decided to turn his situation into fuel for his desire to become a Marine again.

"It was something I always wanted to do," said McGuire. "I saw the esprit de corps and the camaraderie through my father's experiences in the Corps. That was what attracted me to the Corps."

McGuire's father, retired Lt. Col B.J. McGuire, was a CH-53 helicopter pilot, but according to McGuire, his father did not pressure him into becoming a Marine.

"I always advised them to follow their hearts," said B.J. "I never pressured him to become a Marine. It's easy to see he absolutely enjoys what he does. It has been a pleasure for me to watch him become the person he is today."

Being on the Depot has allowed McGuire and his family to spend quality time together in San Diego. One of his favorite past time activities is playing golf with his kids and his father.

"He is a little better than me, but every once in a while I am able to sneak up on him," said B.J. with a chuckle.

Though McGuire has enjoyed his time working aboard the Depot and being near his family in a city he is familiar with, he has not forgotten the sacrifice he and his family made to allow him the opportunity to make Marines.

"As a drill instructor, one of the biggest sacrifices you accept is limited time with your family, and for single drill instructors, it's personal time," said McGuire.

McGuire is thankful to his wife, Nicole, for her continuing efforts keeping the ship afloat at home and with the kids while he has been away making Marines.

"She is an amazing woman," said McGuire. "She does everything ... pays the bills, takes care of the kids, plans events, and she works full time."

McGuire makes sure his children, Jordan and Chase, understand what daddy is doing at work aboard the Depot.

"I tell them I am making new Marines to replace me, so I am protected and you are protected," said McGuire.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image...file/DI_lr.jpg

Staff Sgt. Christopher J. McGuire, platoon 3074, Company I, practices with his platoon for Company I's final drill competition. Photo by: Cpl. Shawn M. Toussaint

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...A?opendocument

The Drifter's Wife

Ellie

Great!!! He was my Senior Drill Instructor!! good Marine!!! we were his last platoon...

thats just too cool!!

My how time fly's. Ooh rah!!!!

Thread Information