I Remember.........
Create Post

I Remember.........

Every year, at this time, I go to the Liberty Memorial, in Kansas City, Missouri, and give thanks to those who have gone before, and to those who continue to fight for us.

Here is my PERSONAL list.

I remember ...

Grandpa Harper.. Navy Submariner WWII, South Pacific
    Grandpa Steinmetz Army Air Corps, Bomber Pilot. WWII England
    Uncle Buster. 16 years old, US Army, Infantry, D-Day Vet
    Uncle Bud. 18 Years old, US Marine, Infantry, WW II , Pacific theatre
    Uncle Gary. US Army. Infantry. Vietnam

Thank You Gentlemen. And thanks to all

I, at least, will never forget what you have done, and will never let your sacrifies have been in vain.

This day for my part I want to dedicate to the Marine that saved me when I was in Iraq last year. He held my hand and didnt let go till I was taken to the hospital. He has since then written me and called me and never lets me forget how wonderful life is how regardless of how awful I feel about my face and not being able to talk again, I still have alot to say. He is my hero and nothing I could ever do or say will repay the gift hes given me. Thank you M and know that I will treasure you forever.

Our Community's Rememberance

Our small community had it's annual Memorial Day Parade which included a ceremony in memory of all Vets.

For the umteenth year members of our VVA chapter had a color guard that marched in the parade. The color guard was led by a vet in a wheelchair who lost his right leg in 'Nam 14 days short.
    I drove an old (1953) 6 ton truck again this year leading off the parade as "Grand Marshall".
    This year I had 15 WWII vets in the truck keeping in line with the DC WWII memorial dedication. The oldest was 92.
    These gentlemen had some great WWII stories.
    The WWII Vets recieved standing ovations from the hundreds that lined the parade route.
    The truck doubled as a reviewing stand in the center of town.
    The parade is oganized by the local American Legion.

It was a beautiful day.

Smile

I would like to say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to whoever it was that emailed me the name of a Plastic Surgeon here in Northen Virginia. They are very optimistic about repairing my face Small blessings make big changes im learning that here. Im greatful to so many and for so much.

There's been lots of media coverage about the Greatest Generation this year, what with the WWII Memorial being dedicated, and God knows they deserve every accolade. And us lowly old Vietnam Veterans have finally begun to be at least accepted back into America by most folks. You know what I mean.
    My thanks tho, goes out to the young folks who are the next greatest generation, and all the rest of the troops who did and still are doing such a heck of a job under difficult circumstances to say the least. You are a heck of a bunch and have made all us old farts proud.

Thread Information