Selective Outrage on Iraq Is Sickening
Create Post

Cool Selective Outrage on Iraq Is Sickening

05-13-2004

Selective Outrage on Iraq Is Sickening

By William F. Sauerwein

The current gleeful self-flagellation regarding the alleged Iraqi prisoner humiliation has become sickening. Those soldiers accused of abusing prisoners are innocent until proven guilty, a right we guarantee for murderers. The most sickening images are the “outraged” politicians, using this incident for furthering their politicization of the war. Furthermore, I do not see the same “outrage” at the treatment received by our personnel at the hands of the enemy.

From everything I understand, the U.S. Military justice system is functioning effectively and several Article 32 investigations are currently underway into the alleged abuse at Abu Ghraib prison. Recall, the investigations began before the outbreak of media and political outrage. As with civilian law enforcement, these things take time, since both the prosecution and defense need adequate time for presenting their cases.

The released pictures display a conduct that is totally abhorrent, and a clear violation of the Uniform Code of Military Justice. However, we must not look for “scapegoats,” for then we become what we seek to punish. The punishment should fit the crime, and not to appease either foreign or domestic media feeding frenzies.

While nothing justifies the alleged conduct by prison MPs, I am certain those “detainees” were not picked up for jaywalking. It seems illogical to subject “low-level operatives” to this type of interrogation. What possible information did these “detainees” have that would tempt someone to cross the line?

The alleged conduct of those few soldiers has jeopardized the safety, and overall mission of the remaining 130,000 serving honorably. But so does the conduct of American politicians and journalists who use these images for furthering their personal agendas and careers. When Congressman asked Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld last week who will restore America’s image, I was incensed. My answer would be, “You Congressman, you will say this is not America.” If members of Congress will not stand up for their country, then why do we provide them their over-pampered pay and perks?

I am not asking them to remain silent in the face of these violations of several laws. But they are in positions of power and responsibility, and purely political rhetoric merely inflames our enemies and demoralizes our troops.

The American news media seems so concerned with this story that it is dominating all media outlets. These pictures are labeled as humiliating, and they are, particularly in that part of the world. However the media praises such images when produced by Hollywood, or in a San Francisco “Gay Pride” parade. In these instances we are told we must “embrace” this behavior or else we are “intolerant.” I understand the Iraqi prisoners did not consent to this treatment, but I find all the above mentioned images revolting.

But a strange double standard seems at work. The pictures of abused Iraqis and the accused soldiers are plastered all over the media, yet the horrific pictures of Americans dying in the 9/11 attacks have been buried as too “inflammatory.” Gone are the pictures of those leaping from the World Trade Center to avoid death in the inferno. Also absent from the media are the pictures of celebration in the Middle East of our 9/11 tragedy. So to you American journalists, who lost one of your brethren, Daniel Pearl, to these vermin, where is your outrage at this?

About one year ago a CNN journalist admitted that while assigned to Baghdad before the war he covered up Saddam’s atrocities. The reason, he said, was that he did not want the regime to close CNN’s news bureau and wanted access to Saddam. Yet there was no outrage of this, nor was this journalist fired for “sitting” on this story. The stories of Saddam’s massive atrocities, and the murder and abuse of American POW’s in Iraqi custody, have received scant attention.

We proved through the president’s apology and our open investigation our difference from the totalitarian regime we toppled. We received no apology from those who perpetrated 9/11, or those in Iraq who mistreat our people they capture. I saw no equivalent outrage at the capture, torture and burning of our citizens in Fallujah. Nor did the media ask persistent questions of how we would retaliate against this brutality. Only Sens. Joseph Lieberman, D-CT, James Inhofe, R-OK, mentioned that point during the televised hearing on Tuesday. The remainder conveniently ignored it.

In the Fallujah incident, Iraqi insurgents murdered and mutilated the bodies of American civilian contract workers before hanging them from a bridge. A few days later they murdered an Italian national, Fabrizio Quattrocchi, and on Tuesday publicly beheaded an American civilian, Nick Berg. The fate of others captured, including Americans, remains uncertain. Where is the outrage of not only our news media, but the International Red Cross and the human rights organizations as well?

Since the outrage of this allegation is so selective, it tells me that it is not genuine. For the politicians, the outrage is for the benefit of the camera, and in order to further their political agendas.

I am not asking for a cover-up of this incident, but I am asking for at least the same level of outrage expressed against our enemies for their atrocities. During World War II, the American public was made aware of the brutality suffered by American POWs. The media also produced the images which led to our intervention in Somalia, Haiti and the Balkans during the 1990s.

However, the news media seems reluctant to show the brutality exhibited by our current enemies, while sensationalizing this prison abuse. More inexcusable, many of our political leaders do not seem equally outraged by the brutal murder and torture of our captured people. While they passed a resolution condemning the prisoner abuse, I have seen no similar congressional resolution condemning our enemies.

We must remember and honor the conduct of the overwhelming majority of our troops, who have performed magnificently under the most trying conditions. They have exercised amazing restraint, even at the risk of their lives. They have avoided collateral damage as much as possible, while our enemies have used sanctuaries and civilians for cover.

Justice should – and will – be done. But we will not win the war, or successfully conduct this investigation, by beating ourselves publicly. Our expressed outrage only encourages our enemies to greater resistance, and more horrific atrocities. If casualties increase, it is not just the fault of those accused of the abuse, but also those who have chosen to sensationalize it.

William F. Sauerwein is a Contributing Editor of DefenseWatch. He can be reached at mono@gtec.com. Please send Feedback responses to dwfeedback@yahoo.com.

http://www.sftt.org/cgi-bin/csNews/c....4886985244347

Ellie

It is an absolutely sickening situation.
    The powers that be in the media HAVE to know how wrong this is.
    Yet, there is no let up.
    Is this really what the American public desires ?.
    It is my understanding that the news reporting community is only catering to what its viewers want.
    If this is such a hot issue here on Leatherneck.com does it not stand to reason that the greater public feels the same ?.
    And if so, why do I not hear a great roar of displeasure from America ?.

Credits
    Savings
    Unfortunately, I believe WE ARE seeing/hearing the roar of
    "displeasure" from America--for half the populace "it aint there"!
    My belief is we have many spoiled kids of the 1960's "flower children" that are now adults. These people, by an large, havent
    anything for the country (not the PeaceCorps:AmeriCorps, nor MOST CERTAINLY the MarCorps). These are "touchy, feely" people most certainly when they can view a situation from afar (if something bad happens to them personally, well, then its a different story-- It was an old saying in NY/NJ region that a Conservative person was once a Liberal who got mugged!).

Interesting fact--since the prison story came out, NBC has had 58 stories about the situation. Since January,2004 they have had
    5 stories about Saddams murdering 300,000 people. FIVE STORIES!!!!

Of course the media knows what's happening. It just proves to some of us that they have their "agenda" and they really don't care who knows same. Have always told my kids, "Its not always what you read/hear in the news, IT'S WHAT YOU DON'T HEAR--what the media conveniently leaves out" (mind you, to the media, they aren't reporting a lie, they're just omitting something).
    No, my friends, we have to stay the course and hope more than
    50% of the populace can see through the media BS. If this present crap keeps up, the country could be in deep excrament in the future. Let's hope not.
    Semper Fi

Registered User Free Member gdenke's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Ok, fellas, this is a little off-subject, but I need some help here. I've been looking for a certain artist/cartoonist that has drawn many humorous pictures of military aircraft, featuring the aircraft as very burly, with snarling faces and often a cigar or a pipe in their mouth. I'm sure some of you have seen his pics, and those of you that haven't probably think I'm off my rocker. But, those of you who know of the guy, what the hell is name, and where can I get some of his work?!

Oh, yeah, ...............SEMPER FI!!!

Thread Information