still think Rumsfield should stay in office?
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

still think Rumsfield should stay in office?

from Newsweek
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4934213/

By Evan Thomas
    NewsweekMay 17 issue - Donald Rumsfeld likes to be in total control. He wants to know all the details, including the precise interrogation techniques used on enemy prisoners. Since 9/11 he has insisted on personally signing off on the harsher methods used to squeeze suspected terrorists held at the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The conservative hard-liners at the Department of Justice have given the secretary of Defense a lot of leeway. It does not violate the spirit of the Geneva Conventions, the lawyers have told Rumsfeld, to put prisoners in ever-more-painful "stress positions" or keep them standing for hours on end, to deprive them of sleep or strip them naked. According to one of Rumsfeld's aides, the secretary has drawn the line at interrogating prisoners for more than 24 hours at a time or depriving them of light.

If it were possible to be a true war god, to aim every arrow that flies, to smite every foe and avenge every wrong, maybe Donald Rumsfeld would be that man. But it is not, and in Greek tragedies the gods themselves are brought low by pride. In Washington, where the assassin's weapon is usually a well-placed leak, Rumsfeld last week was left explaining, with uncharacteristic pitifulness, that he had not seen the actual pictures that appalled the world until eight days after the images first appeared on CBS's "60 Minutes II."

Apparently, even the almighty Rumsfeld could not control everything that happens in the vast American gulag that has sprung up since 9/11 to deal with enemies of the state. In Iraq, Rumsfeld's aides say, the Defense secretary delegated responsibility for interrogation methods to Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, the ground commander of the occupying forces. The military believes in chains of command, but somehow the chain became twisted and broken as it worked its way down into the prisons where the United States has kept, for too long and in wretched conditions, up to 50,000 detainees. In Baghdad, at Abu Ghraib—a hellhole where Saddam Hussein once tortured his countrymen—someone seems to have delegated authority to the Devil.

President George W. Bush said the photos made him "sick." The effect on Arabs will be to make them want to kill Americans. Is it possible to create an image more offensive to Arabs than a photograph of a female American soldier holding a naked Arab man on a leash? Or a naked Arab man hooded by a pair of woman's underpants? Could even Hollywood have imagined anything more disgusting than Americans leering over a pile of prisoners in simulated sexual positions?

It gets worse. Before the Senate Armed Services Committee last Friday, a chastened Rumsfeld warned that more photos and even videos will surface. (This time the Pentagon itself will release the video to Congress, rather than wait for the inevitable leak.) According to knowledgeable sources, the images include an American soldier having sex with a female Iraqi detainee and American soldiers watching Iraqis have sex with juveniles. Another photo shows a female prison guard gloating over the body of a dead Iraqi.

Who was to blame? A half-dozen sadistic guards who think that rape is a prank? Sex-and-violence-soaked American pop culture that offers up degradation as entertainment on reality shows? Brig. Gen. Janis Karpinski, the commander of the benighted 800th Military Police Brigade, charged with guarding the American prisons in Iraq, told NEWSWEEK that troops shifted from her command to military intelligence had been ordered by interrogators to soften up the prisoners, to make them eager to answer questions. But who signed off on that order?

NBC News

• Only after leaks to the media
    May 7: Donald Rumsfeld is asked by Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., why it was that the abuse of Iraqi prisoners was made public only after leaks to the media.

NBC News

• Rumsfeld: 'I would resign'
    May 7: Donald Rumsfeld says he would “resign in a minute” if he felt he could not be an effective leader.

NBC News

• Why wasn't abuse exposed?
    May 7: Donald Rumsfeld is asked by Sen. Susan Collins, D-Maine, why the Pentagon didn't come forward and expose the abuse.

NBC News

• Kennedy asks Rumsfeld about abuse
    May 7: Donald Rumsfeld denies that the Department of Defense failed to take action on a report of Iraqi prisoner abuse.

NBC News

• McCain: Who had authority?
    May 7: During the Senate Armed Services Committee hearing, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., asks, "Who had authority of the guards?"

NBC News

• Rumsfeld: 'Deepest apology'
    May 7: Appearing in front of the Senate Armed Services Committee, Donald Rumsfeld says he offers his “deepest apology” to the abused Iraqi prisoners and to the American people.

NBC News

• Panel to investigate abuse
    May 7: Donald Rumsfeld announces he is appointing a panel to investigate the abuse of Iraqi detainees.

NBC News

Registered User Free Member arnoldyG/2/5's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Yes!!!

Talked about it on this thread already.......

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...threadid=14470

Ellie

Originally posted by thedrifter
    Talked about it on this thread already.......

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...threadid=14470

Ellie

oops sorry Ellie,,, no excuses,, just a bad memory,,, I had even read that one.... :o

think Rumsfield should stay in office yes

HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes Rumsfield should stay in office.

yes. there is always a few bad apples in the bunch.

with this being an election year everyone is on a wicth hunt for any problem to discredit the President and his cabinet.

Yes

I believe that he's the man for the job and he should stay in !!!

Wow, ain't it a shame. The stinking terrorists, who would kill any of us in a heartbeat, for little more than being American, were made to stand around naked, and harrassed a little bit. What a sad story.

Didn't see any of them burned and mutilated and hanging from a bridge!

Didn't notice any of them being forced to chose between leaping 100 stories to the ground, or being burned to death!

Rumsfeld, is a hero of great magnitude. You better thank your lucky stars everyday that he is doing the job he is!!!

Originally posted by radio relay
    Wow, ain't it a shame. The stinking terrorists, who would kill any of us in a heartbeat, for little more than being American, were made to stand around naked, and harrassed a little bit. What a sad story.

Didn't see any of them burned and mutilated and hanging from a bridge!

Didn't notice any of them being forced to chose between leaping 100 stories to the ground, or being burned to death!

Rumsfeld, is a hero of great magnitude. You better thank your lucky stars everyday that he is doing the job he is!!!
    you think you know it,, these were terrorists??? card carrying alquada (sp),,,, what if they were in the wrong place at the wrong time,, of course,, that only happens to people in America right?

they were in prison for their crimes.... but had there been a trial???

Harrassed a little,,,, try degraded a lot......

This goes out to SHEWOLF

HELL YES, HE SHOULD STAY!!!!

What you don't know and nobody is asking is why did they let anybody take pictures of the stupid stuff they were doing??
    Its bad to do some of the things but stupid to get caught!!!

the second thing is this aint nothing compared to what they do to Americans, "DEGRADED??????" How damm degraded were the Americans that were hanging from the bridge????
    I just posted a nice little line on here that we all need to say nice things about each other.............But I also said we have freedom of speach in the good old USA!! so I'm going with the freedom of speech on this one..........

Kinda what Shaffer started to say........
    IF SHEWOLF WAS MY MOTHER AND I WAS IN THE MILITARY I WOULD NEVER LET ANY BODY KNOW SHE WAS KIN TO ME. SHE SHOULD CHANGE HER NAME TO HANOIWOLF OR IRAQIWOLF, I CANT BELIVE YOU HAVE THE GALD TO COME ON THIS SITE AND TALK ABOUT THE DEGRADING DONE BY AMERICANS WHEN YOU HAVE A SON OVER THERE THAT MIGHT NOT MAKE IT BACK HOME!!!
    YOU BETTER THINK ABOUT THAT HARD BEFORE YOU REPLY TO THIS POST.........THERES ALOT OF YOUNG MARINES ALREADY HOME IN BODY BAGS BECAUSE OF THEM NICE PEOPLE OVER THERE. ONE DAY THEY SMILE, THE NEXT DAY THEY SHOOT, YOU MIGHT NOT BELIVE THIS BUT THE REST OF THE MARINES IN THIS SITE THAT HAVE BEEN THERE, MAYBE NOT IRAQ, NUT AT LEAST IN COMBAT WILL AGREE, THEY ARE LIKE NIGHT AND SAY, TURN YOUR BACK AND YOU ARE DEAD MEAT.

I WILL SAY I DONT AGREE WITH WHAT THE PICTURES SHOW AMERICANS DOING, BUT THERES MORE TO THE STORY THAN WE WILL EVER KNOW, NOBODY IS THAT STUPID TO DO THIS AND LET PEOPLE TAKE PICTURES, WE MAY NEVER KNOW THE TRUTH.
    BUT I STILL STAND BEHIND MY FELLOW AMERICANS AND D.R.
    I THINK HE HAS DONE AND IS DOING A GREAT JOB, HES IN WASHINGTON NOT IRAQ, DONT SEE HOW HE CAN CONTROL SOMETHING THIS STUPID....GO FIGURE..

GUESS I BLEW OFF ENOUGH STEAM FOR A WHILE

GOOD LORD! HAs the world gone mad? JESUS! Look, I agree with almost NONE of what SheWolf has to say. I am more of a kill em all before they get us type of guy myself.

But Shaffer? I personally think your last post was a little out of line and ALOT uncalled for. To disageree about politics is one thing, to tell someone that they are a bad mother and serve no purpose in this world is just WRONG! and you bagged on ME for giving poolees crap. Shame on you.

You of ALL people should know better. that's what Pm"s are for. the personal attacks and the like.

HardJedi

You need to get a Grip on Life

Think about this situation...................

How would you like to be in the USMC over in Iraq, fighting with people that smile one day and blow your ass away the next, and have a mom back in the states saying them poor Iraqis got
    DEGRADED by some American Guards ????
    The Poor degraded basterds are the same ones that sent some of our boys home in bags!!!

The rest of the Marines are still just waiting to get the word........ but will they ever get the word....... Hell no........ SOS just another war!!! POLITICS!!!!!

My opinion is we should call in the B-52's and carpet bomb the entire place, then sort it out later, maybe they will like us then.

Shaffer was right on target and you need to appoligize to him!!!

Thread Information