Thoughts from a Marine
Create Post
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thumbs up Thoughts from a Marine

I got this message in an E-mail today:

I sat in a movie theater watching "Schindler's List," asked myself, "Why didn't the Jews fight back?"

Now I know why.

I sat in a movie theater, watching "Pearl Harbor" and asked myself, "Why weren't we prepared?"

Now I know why.

Civilized people cannot fathom, much less predict, the actions of evil people.

On September 11, dozens of capable airplane passengers allowed themselves to be overpowered by a handful of poorly armed terrorists because they did not comprehend the depth of hatred that motivated their captors.

On September 11, thousands of innocent people were murdered because too many Americans naively reject the reality that some nations are dedicated to the dominance of others. Many political pundits, pacifists and media personnel want us to forget the carnage. They say we must focus on the bravery of the rescuers and ignore the cowardice of the killers. They implore us to understand the motivation of the perpetrators. Major television stations have announced they will assist the healing process by not replaying devastating footage of the planes crashing into the Twin Towers.

I will not be manipulated.

I will not pretend to understand.

I will not forget.

I will not forget the liberal media who abused freedom of the press to kick our country when it was vulnerable and hurting.

I will not forget that CBS anchor Dan Rather preceded President Bush's address to the nation with the snide remark, "No matter how you feel about him, he is still our president."

I will not forget that ABC TV anchor Peter Jennings questioned President Bush's motives for not returning immediately to Washington, DC and commented, "We're all pretty skeptical and cynical about Washington."

And I will not forget that ABC's Mark Halperin warned if reporters weren't informed of every little detail of this war, they aren't "likely -- nor should they be expected -- to show deference."

I will not isolate myself from my fellow Americans by pretending an attack on the USS Cole in Yemen was not an attack on the United States of America.

I will not forget the Clinton administration equipped Islamic terrorists and their supporters with the world's most sophisticated telecommunications equipment and encryption technology, thereby compromising America's ability to trace terrorist radio, cell phone, land lines, faxes and modem communications.

I will not be appeased with pointless, quick retaliatory strikes like those perfected by the previous administration.

I will not be comforted by "feel-good, do nothing" regulations like the silly, "Have your bags been under your control?" question at the airport.

I will not be influenced by so called,"antiwar demonstrators" who exploit the right of __expression to chant anti-American obscenities.

I will not forget the moral victory handed the North Vietnamese by American war protesters who reviled and spat upon the returning soldiers, airmen, sailors and Marines.

I will not be softened by the wishful thinking of pacifists who chose reassurance over reality.

I will embrace the wise words of Prime Minister Tony Blair who told the Labor Party conference, "They have no moral inhibition on the slaughter of the innocent. If they could have murdered not 7,000 but 70,000, does anyone doubt they would have done so and rejoiced in it?

There is no compromise possible with such people, no meeting of minds, no point of understanding with such terror. Just a choice: defeat it or be defeated by it. And defeat it we must!"

I will force myself to:

- hear the weeping
    - feel the helplessness
    - imagine the terror
    - sense the panic
    - smell the burning flesh
    - experience the loss
    - remember the hatred.

I sat in a movie theater, watching "Private Ryan" and asked myself, "Where did they find the courage?"

Now I know.

We have no choice. Living without liberty is not living.

-- Ed Evans, MGySgt., USMC (Ret.)
    Not as lean, Not as mean, But still a Marine.

Lake0300
    Guest Free Member
    "Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say, 'What should be the reward of such sacrifices?'
    Bid us and our posterity bow the knee, supplicate the friendship, and plough, and sow, and reap, to glut the avarice of the men who have let loose on us the dogs of war to riot in our blood and hunt us from the face of the earth?
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!" -Samuel Adams

"If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

-Lake

Seeley, this post is great. Too many people seem to be forgetting what did happen to our nation, our people, our friends, and our families on September 11. There is no question that some of this is politically based, since a strong was sentiment will usually keep a sitting president in office. But, I believe it is just human nature to forget. People grieve any horid action or event for a time, and then move on with their life.

Usually, this is a strength. In this instance, it can only make us vulnerable to future attacks. Without question, a society that is prepared is safer than one that is oblivious to the risks associated with every day life. For a time, our nation was prepared because we were observent. We were prepared because we were careful. Now, people complain about the hassle of waiting in line at the airport. They get upset when the DHS announces that there is an increased terror threat. It is just how our society is set up. Unless the unthinkable happens and terrorism becomes a fact of life for Americans on a regular basis, the pattern will continue. When the next attack occurs, there will be another period of healing, of care, of retrospection, and of anger. But, if it is seen as a one time act, something that isn't likely to happen again in the very near future, people will once again revert to thier habitual lives.

Personally, I think every man, woman, and child in the United States should be forced to view the video of the WTC falling to the ground at least once a week. We should not be able to escape the image of people deciding to jump from the windows rather than living with the heat. The sight of countless Americans risking their life rushing into the buildings should be burned into the memory of every citizen. And, saying you won't forget shouldn't be important, you should not be allowed to forget.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine. I like that one. Outstanding Lake.

Training, training, training. This is from the Bankers Online web site:
    The two most important things to a financial institution are its employees and customers. No one should endanger his life or the lives of others in foolish acts of heroism to save money.

The following suggestions will help your employees during the robbery. Go over these techniques in your robbery training program.
    During a robbery you should:
    Stay calm. (It will be over in a few seconds.)
    Do exactly as told by the robber, either by his/her words or actions. (Follow the instructions very carefully, but do not help the robber)
    Give exactly the amount demanded - include bait money. (Do not give more, as this may cause the robber to get scared or mad, thinking you are tricking him)
    Be polite, courteous and observant. (Remember what he says, does, where he stands and what he touches) Practice this procedure.
    Form a good mental picture of the robber. Visually identify him or her. If there is more than one robber, try to concentrate on the one nearest you.
    Utilize customer identification techniques. (Concentrate on his speech or mannerisms, etc.)
    Presume that the robber has a weapon, and that it is real.
    Retain evidence, such as a note.
    Activate the alarm and camera when it is safe to do so.
    Observe the direction of the escape, description of the get-away car, color of car, make of car, license number or plate.

Otherwise bend over and take it a few seconds, it will soon be over.

New training should be instituted. If you properly train a transporation cop to take on a suicide bomber in Penn Station, he'll do it. Israel even offers such training to civilians.

The Jews had no idea what was going on or where they were going. They thought they were being relocated. The Jews had some pretty bad conditions in the ghettos and when the Germans told them they were being relocated somewhere else, they agreed to go. Little did they know they were being killed. They were some resistence in Poland, but the Poles were no match for German warfare.

Been my motto for years, " Never Forget, Never Forgive"

While peace may be achieved, and diplomatic relations established, I, at least, will never forgive the people who attacked us in 2001.
    Nor have I ever or will I ever forgive those who have taken American lives in so many other places.

What happened to the Jews is the same thing that happened to the people on the planes 9/11. Those that were killed were normal joes with jobs and families. The thought of being massacred wasn't a reality. When things first started they were given hope by the bad guys; that was the kicker. Both the Nazis and the terrorists told everyone that they would be allright. They told them that they were going to see their families again. Most people hear that, and no matter how bad things are, they'll believe it, because that's what they need to hear and what they want to believe. By the time the killing really got underway, it was too late.

BTW, just saw Boys of Company C. Good movie. Seems alot more real than Full Metal Jacket, both recruit training and combat in Vietnam, from what I've read and heard anyways. Still just a poolee.

Shippin out next Sunday! 07062004 Can't wait!

Registered User Free Member cjwright90's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Best of luck Boodrow!

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Re: thoughts of a Marine

I was moved beyond tears at this post, it said nearly everything that I wish I could have put into words. We will prevail, we will stay united, if only for the fact we're the true Americans who have loved, lost, supported and raised a human being that could feel and see and contribute like this Marine's post has done. His eyes have seen the bloody wars, his life has been dedicated to our country...and his compassion and allegience runs through his veins....This Marine says it all ...Semper Fi. ..and a Happy Memorial Day, belated...to all who served and to all the families who sacrificed and did our duty for our country and for the men and women we supported and continue to do so.....God speed.

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    allegiance....sorry

Thread Information