DoD Identifies Marine Casualties - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    Marine Pfc. Sean Horn, 19, of Orange; Dies in Nonhostile Incident

By David Haldane, Times Staff Writer

Sean Horn wanted to be the best man he could be.

So early last June, shortly after graduating with honors from Irvine's Creekside High School, he became a Marine.

"He went straight into boot camp," said his sister, Melissa, 21. "He knew what he was getting into. He loved the brotherhood. He gave it a lot of thought, and decided that this would make him a better man."

Today would have been Pfc. Sean Horn's 20th birthday. But his family is making plans to bury him with full military honors at a Cypress cemetery.

"We are very proud of him," his sister said. "He would have had a great life if this hadn't happened."

It is unclear exactly what happened to the young man from Orange County who, by all accounts, loved his country and family enough to risk his life for both.

He was an engineer equipment operator assigned to Combat Service Support Group 11, 1st Force Service Support Group, 1st Marine Expeditionary Force at Camp Pendleton. Horn died June 19 in what military officials described as a "nonhostile incident" at Camp Taqaddum, about 150 miles northwest of Baghdad.

According to his sister, the young Marine was found dead in his bunker with a bullet wound to the head after failing to show up for a 4 p.m. roll call.

"I think it was an accident," Melissa Horn said of the incident, which military authorities say they are investigating.

"My brother was a wonderful person who had so many plans for coming home. The kid was very positive, very supportive of the other guys."

For Sean Horn, those ties began in Lakewood, where he was born and lived until age 11, when his family moved to Irvine.

Always patriotic but never very political, Horn was a talented artist who loved camping and fishing, and had long aspired to the military life. "He loved the support because it's so solid," his sister said. "The Marines don't let each other down. They are very family-oriented."

She said her brother's only fear was that he might somehow "mess up" by making a mistake. "He didn't want to let the other guys down," she said.

Horn relished graduating from boot camp, looking forward to going abroad. And after arriving in Iraq in February, his enthusiasm reached even greater heights, his sister said.

"He was extra positive," she said, "making sure to support everyone else."

She said their last conversation was a phone call about three weeks before his death. "He said he needed new coveralls," she recalled, "and asked me not to forget his birthday,"

The family didn't: It sent a birthday package containing, among other things, the requested coveralls and a silver cross from Mission San Juan Capistrano identical to one worn by his sister. "Sean found God through boot camp," she said. "He was baptized Christian and came out with a Bible in his hand."

The package was expected to arrive in Iraq by today, in time for Horn's birthday.

"I love that kid," his sister said. "I'll always love that kid. I won't make sense of this for years to come."

In addition to his sister, Horn is survived by his mother, Maryse, and father, Steven, both of Irvine. A funeral is scheduled this week at Forest Lawn Memorial-Park in Cypress.

Pfc. Sean Horn

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,5500778.story

Ellie

Rest In Peace

DoD Identifies Marine Casualty

_ _ The Department of Defense announced today the death of a Marine who
    was supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Lance Cpl. Manuel A. Ceniceros, 23, of Santa Ana, Calif., died June 26
    as a result of enemy action in Al Anbar Province, Iraq. He was assigned to
    Regimental Combat Team 1 Headquarters Company, 1st Marine Division, I Marine
    Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, Calif.

For further information related to this release, contact the Marine
    Corps Base Camp Pendleton Public Affairs Office at (760) 725-5044.

Ellie

Rest In Peace

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a Marine who was supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Cpl. Todd J. Godwin, 21, of Muskingum County, Ohio, died July 20 due to injuries received from enemy action in Al Anbar Province, Iraq. He was assigned to 1st Battalion, 8th Marines, 2nd Marine Division, Camp Lejeune, N.C.

For further information related to this release, contact the 2nd Marine Division Public Affairs Officer at (910) 451-9033.

Ellie Rest In Peace

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a Marine who was supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Staff Sgt. Michael J. Clark, 29, of Leesburg Lake, Fla., died July 20 due to enemy action in Al Anbar Province, Iraq. He was assigned to Combat Service Support Battalion 1, Combat Service Support Group 11, 1st Force Service Support Group, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, Calif.

For further information contact the Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton Public Affairs Office at (760) 725-5044.

Ellie

Rest In Peace

Lance Cpl. Mark E. Engel, 21, of Grand Junction, Calif., died July 21 at Brook Army Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, Texas, of wounds he received as result of enemy action on July 6 in Al Anbar Province, Iraq. He was assigned to 2nd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force at Camp Lejeune, N.C.

For further information related to this release, contact the 2nd Marine Division Public Affairs Officer at (910) 451-9033.

Ellie

Rest In Peace

Lance Cpl. Vincent M. Sullivan, 23, of Chatham, N.J., died July 23 due to injuries received from enemy action in Al Anbar Province, Iraq. He was assigned to 1st Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force Camp Lejeune, N.C.

Ellie

Rest In Peace

DoD Identifies Marine Casuality

Lt. Col. David S. Greene, 39, of Raleigh, N.C., died July 28 due to enemy action in Al Anbar Province, Iraq. He was a reservist assigned to Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 775, Marine Aircraft Group 16, 3D Marine Air Wing, Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, Calif.

For further information contact the Marine Corps Air Station Miramar Public Affairs Office at (858) 577-6000.

Ellie

Rest In Peace

Sgt. Juan Calderon Jr., 26, of Weslaco, Texas, died Aug. 2 due to enemy action in Al Anbar Province, Iraq. He was assigned to 3rd Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expaditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, Calif.

For further information contact the Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton Public Affairs Office at (760) 725-5044.

Ellie

Rest In Peace

Capt. Gregory A Ratzlaff, 36, of Olympia, Wash., died Aug. 3 due to a non-combat related incident at

Forward Operating Base Duke, Iraq. He was assigned to Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 166, Marine Aircraft Group 16, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, San Diego, Calif.

The incident is under investigation.

For further information related to this release, contact the MCAS Miramar Public Affairs Office at (858) 577-6000.

Ellie

Rest In Peace

DoD Identifies Marine Casualties

The Department of Defense announced today the death of three Marines who were supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Cpl. Dean P. Pratt, 22, of Stevensville, Mont., died Aug. 2 due to enemy action in Al Anbar Province, Iraq. He was assigned to 2nd Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, Calif.

Gunnery Sgt. Elia P. Fontecchio, 30, of Milford, Mass., died Aug. 4 from injuries received from enemy action in Al Anbar Province, Iraq. He was assigned to 3rd Battalion, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms, Calif.

Lance Cpl. Joseph L. Nice, 19, of Nicoma Park, Okla., died Aug. 4 due to enemy action in Al Anbar Province, Iraq. He was assigned to 3rd Battalion, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms, Calif.

For further information on Pratt contact the Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton Public Affairs Office at (760) 725-5044. For further information on Fontecchio or Nice, contact the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms Public Affairs Office at (760) 830-6213.

Ellie

Rest In Peace

Lance Cpl. Larry L. Wells, 22, of Mount Hermon, La., died August 6 due to enemy action in An Najal Province, Iraq. He was assigned to Unit Battalion Landing Team 1/4, 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, Calif.

For further information related to this release, contact the Camp Pendleton Public Affairs Office at (760) 725-5044.

Sgt. Moses D. Rocha, 33, of Roswell, N.M., died August 5 due to injuries received from enemy action in An Najaf, Iraq. He was assigned to Battalion Landing Team 1/4, 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, Calif.

For further information related to this release, contact the Camp Pendleton Public Affairs Office at (760) 725-5044.

Ellie

Rest In Peace

DoD Identifies Marine Casualties

The Department of Defense announced today the death of two Marines who were supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Sgt. Yadir G. Reynoso, 27, of Wapato, Wash., died Aug. 5 due to enemy action in An Najaf Province, Iraq.

Cpl. Roberto Abad, 22, of Los Angeles, Calif., died Aug. 6 due to enemy action in An Najaf Province, Iraq.

Both Marines were assigned to Battalion Landing Team 1/4, 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, Calif.

Ellie

Rest In Peace

Lance Cpl. Jonathan W. Collins, 19, of Crystal Lake, Ill., died Aug. 8 due to enemy action in Al Anbar Province, Iraq. He was assigned to 2nd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, Calif.

Ellie

Rest In Peace

No. 776-04
    Aug 14, 2004
    IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Lance Cpl. Kane M. Funke, 20, of Vancouver, Wash., died August 13 as result of enemy action in Al Anbar Province, Iraq. He was assigned to 2nd Battalion, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center, Twentynine Palms, Calif.

For further information contact the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms Public Affairs Office at (760) 830-6213.

Ellie

Rest In Peace

No. 777-04
    Aug 15, 2004
    IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Lance Cpl. Nicholas B. Morrison, 23, of Carlisle, Penn., died August 13 due to hostile action in Al Anbar Province, Iraq. He was assigned to 2nd Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II
    Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Lejeune, N.C.

For further information contact the 2nd Marine Division Public Affairs Officer at (910) 451-9033.

Ellie

Rest In Peace

Thread Information