John Wroblewski's fidelity, love form lasting tribute
Thursday, April 22, 2004
BY SALLY GOLDENBERG
Star-Ledger Staff

Joanna Wroblewski wore a white flowing gown when she exchanged wedding vows with Marine 2nd Lt. John T. Wroblewski in Our Lady of the Mountain Church in Long Valley nine months ago.

Yesterday, she stood at the same altar wearing a plain black dress to say goodbye to her husband.

Wroblewski of the U.S. Marine's 2nd Battalion, died April 6, one day after being shot in the head during an uprising in Ramadi, Iraq. More than 1,000 relatives, friends and fellow Marines packed the Roman Catholic church in Morris County at his funeral.

Joanna Wroblewski, in eulogizing her husband, told of their last conversation, just days before he was killed.

"We ended every phone call with, 'I'll see you soon,'" she said. "But 'instead of 'I'll see you soon,' (he) said, 'I'll always be with you.' I didn't catch it until I hung up."

Wroblewski shared poignant memories of her husband, who was deployed on Feb. 15. She jokingly spoke of the torn jeans he wore the day they met in a self-defense class at the County College of Morris six years ago.

She described their simple, brief happy life as a married couple.

"On our first date, you held my heart. You paused my breath and you taught me how to breathe from that day forward," she said, which triggered sobs throughout the church.

The soldier's father talked of his son's childhood and his years as a baseball and football player at Jefferson High School and his close relationship with his three younger brothers, Richard, Michael and David.

"I, as his father, looked up to him," said John Wroblewski Sr., whose voice never cracked during the 20-minute address. "He was everything I would like to be. He was our hero."

The 90-minute funeral began at 10:30 a.m., when six Marines clad in black uniforms carried Wroblewski's simple wooden casket from the hearse to the altar while a cantor sang "Here I Am Lord."

Some attendants saluted Wroblewski's coffin as the Marines passed by their wooden benches. One member of an American Legion post in Bergen County placed his navy blue cap over his heart, and others held their hands on their chests. Many sobbed.

After a brief introduction by Monsignor Ray Lopatesky, who married the couple, Wroblewski's father stood at the lectern in front of a colorful floral cross and delivered a eulogy that outlined the milestones of his son's life. He even drew a few laughs from the mourners.

"We will never forget how he curled his hair as he sucked his thumb," John Wroblewski Sr. said.

"I know there are some friends here today who shared some special times with J.T. as they fished the trout streams of New Jersey," he added.

Wroblewski Sr. emphasized his child's passion for athletics, from learning the ropes in Little League to preparing to become a United States Marine officer.

He recalled watching his son, at the crack of dawn, slip on a bag of weights and repeat pull-ups and push-ups on a workout bar he built in his back yard. He recalled "his intense workouts, and runs; his intense workouts and runs; his intense workouts and runs ... every morning and every night without fail."

He spoke of his son's dedication to the armed forces, a career he began months after graduating from Rutgers University in May 2002 with a bachelor of science degree in exercise science and sports studies.

"His commitment to the United States Marine Corps was unparalleled," said the father.

Wroblewski expressed an interest in military affairs as a child, jumping at the opportunity to visit Picatinny Arsenal in nearby Rockaway Township and absorbing World War II documentaries, his family said. He graduated from an officer training school in Virginia in December 2002 and began pursuing his dream career.

Joanna Wroblewski echoed that sentiment about her husband's dedication throughout her eulogy.

"You always said you wanted to be a Marine, always watched the History Channel," the widow read from a final, candid letter she wrote to her husband after he died. "When you got home from Officer Candidates School, I saw a new man. I saw a Marine."

Wroblewski was New Jersey's first Marine to die in combat during Operation Iraqi Freedom. Tomorrow, he will be interred at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia.

Joanna Wroblewski also said that despite negative news reports, her husband said Iraqis continually thanked American soldiers.

"I will never pass a man in uniform without saying thank you," she said.

Then she called on the 30 or so Marines in attendance and their wives to stand, asked the soldiers to call out "ooh-rah," and then said a short goodbye that drew a roaring applause:

"Thank you 2nd Lt. John Wroblewski."

Sally Goldenberg can be reached at sgoldenberg@starledger.com or (973) 539-7910.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index....5342176340.xml

Ellie

Rest In Peace