What do you do in Marine Security Forces? - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    It's been like that for at least 20 years now, Gunny. They just don't let anyone guard nukes, anymore. The Marines at PRP commands are required to have TS clearances and to be school trained on nuclear asset protection.

Today, they only have a few Security Forces posts. The old ones that have been closed/shut down are guarded by Navy and/ or civilians. The ones remaining are mostly nuclear sites guarded by Marines.
    Thanks for the info Wookie. I have been retired for 35 years now and the Corps has changed a lot in that time. Back then as I stated we secured anything and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Thanks for the info Wookie. I have been retired for 35 years now and the Corps has changed a lot in that time. Back then as I stated we secured anything and everything.
    No offense intended, Gunny. And you did a damn fine job of protecting us. Thank you. Semper Fi Marine.

i have sucessfully made it through BSG and now i am being stationed in Rota Spain as permanent personnel anyone have any insight to what it is like?

Quote Originally Posted by Raptorman22 View Post
    i have sucessfully made it through BSG and now i am being stationed in Rota Spain as permanent personnel anyone have any insight to what it is like?
    God bless those beautiful women of Spain, man you are lucky. Have a great time Marine, you will enjoy your time. SF

well the thing is i am married, im wanting to know what am i going to be doing there and what things i am going to need to take care of before me or my family goes over there

Quote Originally Posted by joseph61189 View Post
    Thought this might help in the future. This is the link to the first part of a three part series done on YouTube by The Navy/Marine Corps News dealing with the type of training done in the Security Forces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-YASPigGa4
    Most 03's will get that training, minus the shotgun.

Security Forces is not high speed.

Well I was up at MCSFCO Bangor and although its a lot like kingsbay you will have the time of your life up in washington, you are 45 min out of seattle, 30 min outside of tacoma, and you will have lots of good training with many chances to go to a lot of good schools such as martial arts instructor, Marine combat instructor of water survival, coaches course and many more. The Security forces in the marine corps is very good at making your SRB look good for boards and the most squarded away marines do in fact come from Security forces due to the way they are run. I was a squad leader at bangor and had 22 marines under me and left bangor with a NAM for my accomplishments at bangor, it was a lot of fun and i would go back in a heartbeat

Quote Originally Posted by odc25 View Post
    .... and the most squarded away marines do in fact come from Security forces due to the way they are run. I was a squad leader at bangor and had 22 marines under me and left bangor with a NAM for my accomplishments at bangor, it was a lot of fun and i would go back in a heartbeat
    No, that's the Individual not the Unit that causes that.

Getting drunk at the Applebee's in Silverdale isn't as good as it sounds.

you have to admit security forces are a whole hell of a lot more squarded away than a lot of units in the marine corps and no apples bee is no fun lol you have to go to seattle lol

I am currently looking to reenlist and to do MCSF. If you are married, are the tours accompanied? Is there enough time to take classes or anything like that?

Quote Originally Posted by GearheadJLM View Post
    I am currently looking to reenlist and to do MCSF. If you are married, are the tours accompanied? Is there enough time to take classes or anything like that?
    Well, first of all are you a Lance Corporal or are you a Corporal, your avatar lists one thing -- but your profile lists another.

To your first question -- I'd check with the monitor on that one, or the career planners for the latest gouge. I bet each duty station is different. Back in my day most married people got accompanied tours except for Greece where I was because it was only a year long rotation/duty station. Most tours are two - three years and I'd assume those ones are accompanied.

As an NCO - you should have time to take classes, at least on-line, and with a somewhat "set" schedule you should even be able to take them on-ground also.

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    Well, first of all are you a Lance Corporal or are you a Corporal, your avatar lists one thing -- but your profile lists another.

To your first question -- I'd check with the monitor on that one, or the career planners for the latest gouge. I bet each duty station is different. Back in my day most married people got accompanied tours except for Greece where I was because it was only a year long rotation/duty station. Most tours are two - three years and I'd assume those ones are accompanied.

As an NCO - you should have time to take classes, at least on-line, and with a somewhat "set" schedule you should even be able to take them on-ground also.
    Thank you. I am a Corporal BTW. I am going to "try" to talk to my career planner more about this, but that has proven to be difficult. I think MCSF sounds like a great opportunity.

Are you still at Kings Bay? I'm putting in for there (my packet just left the BN for headquarters) I know theres not much around there, my wife and I are from Jacksonville,FL so thats pretty much my whole reason for going..if she didn't have her job there she would have moved up to Lejeune with me. I mainly just want to know what the daily routine would be like for a NCO. So far I've heard the schedule is something like 4 days on 5 days off? Do NCO's get stuck standing post or are they usually COG/SOG?

Hey I finally got my MCSF packet sent up and I'm trying to get Kings Bay (my wife & I are from jax. , FL) is there anyone that is still stationed there or just recently left that could tell me about the schedule? I've heard it's like 3 days on 4 days off? Do NCO's get stuck standing post often or are they mostly COGs/SOG's? and whats a good apt area off base around $700 or so.. please message me instead of replying to the thread. thanks Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Cpl McClintock View Post
    Hey I finally got my MCSF packet sent up and I'm trying to get Kings Bay (my wife & I are from jax. , FL) is there anyone that is still stationed there or just recently left that could tell me about the schedule? I've heard it's like 3 days on 4 days off? Do NCO's get stuck standing post often or are they mostly COGs/SOG's? and whats a good apt area off base around $700 or so.. please message me instead of replying to the thread. thanks Semper Fi
    I'll answer this in the open in case it answers another Marines question.

NCO's do not stand a typical post/duty, they do the COG/SOG thing.

I don't know about rent prices/apartment info around there, but the Kings Bay area is very nice and 700 bucks might not get you much -- I went there for a few weeks back in 98 to do a MTT for their DM's and CQB guys.

Thread Information