Where does it come from? - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I think mine is fairly easy to guess...

Registered User Free Member 25snakeman02's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    25snakeman02, Mine is a combination; 2502 was my MOS and Snakeman wea my call sign in VMO-1 as an Aerial Observer. I usually go by Snake. I like this thread because I have been wondering..... since I have come to this Website. I am thoroughly enjoying it. It is the best I have had the opportunity to experience! Semper Fidelis Marines and Friends

"namgrunt" is what I was for two tours. There is another guy on this site named "Namgrunt68", but I've never read any of his postings.

Units: F/2/5; H/2/7;, and B/1/27 -(attached to 1st MarDiv.)
    I was going to call myself "PogeyRope", but thought it was too unknown, except for other Jarheads from 5th and 6th Marines.

Credits
    Savings
    What is "PogeyRope"? I've heard the expression "Pogey Bait" before but not "PogeyRope"

Sender:

LOL You make my point perfectly.

"Pogey Rope" is the nickname for the "Foureguerre" (probably misspelled), a braided attachment worn on the left shoulder of winter green Class A uniform jackets of the 5th and 6th Marines. They are the only units in the entire Marine Corps, outside of Washington DC postings, authorized to wear braiding of any sort. It is a battle award presented to these units by the French government during WW1.

The 5th and 6th regiments took part in the famous Belleau Wood fighting. For their ferocity, they earned the nickname Devil Dogs from their astonished German foes. The French were so grateful for the holding action in the Somme region ,that they decorated the two Marine units involved with the "Foureguerre", which loosely translates into the saying "For Battle".

The cording used to make pogey ropes is Winter Green in color, with crimson red intermingled. The color matched Marine combat uniforms, and the red signified the blood shed in the "Woods". At the end of the pogey rope is a black metal weighted endpiece, for which I don't recall the correct nomenclature. The decoration is held in place by buttoning beneath the left epaulet button, with the metal cap in front on the upper chest near your ribbons.

The reason "Pogey" is used in the nickname is because guys can use it to wow young ladies, with wild stories of derring do, and impress them with their Marine prowess. All the while, the men are trying to establish their beachhead for the night. Or so the story goes.

That is the version of the Pogey Rope which I know.

Semper Fi!

My USMC name came from the Jimmy Dean show dog (puppet).
    The dogs name was Rawlf, no one could seem to get it.
    So "Ralph" works.
    My E mail address comes from working many years in the shoe biz.

Don't let Namgrunt fool you. They give those ropes to guys with VD.
    Others just repeat this poem:
    I'm a pogey bait 6th (or 5th) Marine,
    I don't keep my rifle clean,
    I don't want a BAR,
    All I want is a candy bar

LOL

Born and raised in Long Branch,N.J.,moved to Danville,Vermont in 1988
    Credits
    Savings
    I was a Cpl. and my MOS was 7113...back in 59-63 a 7113 was a parachute rigger.

Jules B.Wolfson

Thumbs up

dtrb-Down Town Ricky Brown... the 63 is for a friend of mines race car # here in Iowa at the local dirt track. If you run into dtrbsgal... thats the other half.

kentmitchell:

I hope you served in the 5th or 6th Marines, otherwise, those are fighting words you wrote above.

Black Belt or not, you will show respect for my Regiment!

I'm not laughing at this, Marine! This is no joke to me.

I gave the story of the Pogey Rope, as best as I remembered it, because a brother asked what it was, and I answered his request. It wasn't to have my old unit scorned.

What unit(s) were you in? Would you want me cranking off insults against whatever group you served in?

Registered User Free Member leroy8541's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    leroy is a nick name given by classmates in high school that stuck.
    8541 is the secondary MOS that I worked very hard for.

Namgrunt; What unit(s) were you in?

Your explanation of the French Fourragere sounds correct to me. I served in 3rd Battallion 6th Marines during 1953 to 1955. We wore the French Fourragere with pride. We called it pogey rope. We heard all the comments during that period. Sure caused a lot of knock down drag outs. Thanks for the memories.

Glad to oblige, Gunny. I'm sure kentmitchell didn't realize what he was saying when he wrote his piece, but I won't have my unit, and yours, insulted by someone who wasn't in either Regiment. I have not heard back yet, to see if mitchell once belonged or not. It was one of the unique markers of the men from 5th and 6th Marines. I have my Pogey Rope to this day, but cannot wear it since I don't fit the uniform anymore (have to get Marine Green Velcro to stretch things a bit).

I was in three different regiments, but the 5th was my first assignment out of Boot Camp and ITR. It retains a special place in my memory for that reason. It is where I learned my grunt craft. It is also the only unit I ever made Wet Net landings with, just like the old days in WW2 and Korea. Over the side onto Cargo nets, and down to the Poppa Boats, wearing a full field transport pack.

Foxtrot Co./ 2nd Bn./ 5th Marines
    Hotel Co./ 2nd Bn./ 7th Marines
    Bravo Co./ 1st Bn./ 27th Marines (attached to 1st MarDiv in Nam)

I do see that I actually did misspell the name, Fourragere, but I was going from memory, which is getting dusty. Thanks for the backup, Gunny.

Semper Fi!

Namgrunt; What unit(s) were you in?

Your explanation of the French Fourragere sounds correct to me. I served in 3rd Battallion 6th Marines during 1953 to 1955. We wore the French Fourragere with pride. We called it pogey rope. We heard all the comments during that period. Sure caused a lot of knock down drag outs. Thanks for the memories.

gys:

Check my last post, Gunny. I was editing it to include the info you asked, when you posted your last entry.

Semper Fi!

Thread Information