Reserves vs. Active Duty
Create Post
    Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Reserves vs. Active Duty

Any guys going into reserves? I'd like to do that to finish up my degree, but a friend said it was a waste of time.

As with anything else, it's all a matter of your attitude and what you decide to get out of it. I served in the USMCR while completing my degree, from '83 to '88. Six months initial active duty for training, then the rest was the usual. Never called-up. Since I've been out of the unit they have been activated and deployed three times. They're in Iraq right now.
    I recommend it because I had nothing but good experiences while in the Reserves. My only regret is that I didn't go for a commission after graduating.

Registered User Free Member LcplStud's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    i'm in the reerves right now. it also depends on what your mos is and what kind of a unit you go into. in my unit, we do a lot of sitting around, inspections, a little driving (i'm motor t), and a lot of cleaning. it's not thebest of fun but it could be worse. my friend, on the other hand, is part of a recon unit in billings montana. every time he goes, they spend about 3-4 days out in the field training. what he does sounds like a great time. so before you make your decision find out what kind of unit you'll be attached too. like the Cpl said, your attitude is EVERYTHING. being in active duty you will still get chances to go to school. there is always night school, and online courses.

Thread Information