Howdy All
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howdy All

Howdy All

Howdy, I just figured I might like to introduce myself.
    My name is Jon I live in the Boston area, I like long walks... just kidding. I'm 17 and am 5'11. I wieght about 130 lbs. I wrestle for my highschool. I'm not the best at the sport but I work hard.
    So anyways I have been tossing back ideas for the past few years about which service to join, Army or Marines. I have a buddy in the NG who tells me go Army. of course I am not listening to him. I'm hoping to join the Marines ASAP because I want to be a Warrior. I don't care about Recon or any special units, maybe I'll try out for them later on in the service if when I make it.
    I was wondering if there is any advice you can give me on how to be a complete warrior. I'm probably going for the 03XX option.
    Also is there any questions I should be sure to ask when I go see the recruiter?
    Thank you all for your time
    ---Jon

Welcome Aboard Apollo

I wouldn't count out Recon as a goal if I were you. In fact, the first thing you must do is finish Boot Camp. "Warrior" is a generalized title. Each Marine is a Warrior. The question becomes what sort of specialized training do you consider the best. Some folks go for Armor units. Others go for Air Wing. Some become Sea Going Marines assigned to Naval vessels. There is a large choice list. Which one do you believe is the best? That would be the one to go for. Other Marines fill the gamut of jobs, including Administration. No one ever thinks about the clerks until their paychecks don't show up on time. The Corps is all things, and each one is important.
    I was Infantry (0311), but that isn't the only 03 billet. Recon is an 03 billet (I believe it is 0321, but am not sure). You can even learn law enforcement. The only thing you won't learn is medicine and EMT, since that is the Navy Corpsman's job. Hope this helped.

namgrunt

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Apollo,

Don't be scared to take the plung. If you want to be a Marine then just do it...!!! If what you are saying is true that you want to be an 03XX, then let the recruiter do his or her job and help them get you in. Don't sweat the small stuff...!!! This is an excellent forum and place to ask questions,especially with a lot of poolees and former poolees that have just returned from recruit training.

Hope that you will be worthy of the title United States Marine...!!!

Originally posted by namgrunt
    Welcome Aboard Apollo

I wouldn't count out Recon as a goal if I were you. In fact, the first thing you must do is finish Boot Camp. "Warrior" is a generalized title. Each Marine is a Warrior. The question becomes what sort of specialized training do you consider the best. Some folks go for Armor units. Others go for Air Wing. Some become Sea Going Marines assigned to Naval vessels. There is a large choice list. Which one do you believe is the best? That would be the one to go for. Other Marines fill the gamut of jobs, including Administration. No one ever thinks about the clerks until their paychecks don't show up on time. The Corps is all things, and each one is important.
    I was Infantry (0311), but that isn't the only 03 billet. Recon is an 03 billet (I believe it is 0321, but am not sure). You can even learn law enforcement. The only thing you won't learn is medicine and EMT, since that is the Navy Corpsman's job. Hope this helped.

namgrunt
    Thank you both for responding and welcoming me.
    Namgrunt: I phrased what I was saying wrong. I am not counting it out as a goal, but I am not going to say I want to be a Recon Marine before I even earn the title of Marine. But I think, in my opinion that Infantry and Recon are the more hands on Warrior MOSs.
    GySgtRet: I too hope I am worthy of the title United States Marine. I am going to go see the Recruiter sometime Friday or Saturday.
    I have another question. Does it seem practical to go see the recruiter if I won't be able to sign till I am 18?
    ---Jon

Welcome Apollo, see your recruiter now,and you'll have a lot of your questions answered, whatever field you choose just strive to be the best..........Semper Fi

Hey Apollo,

You've made a good choice joining this board. I just joined a couple of days ago, and everyone's already been extremely helpful. I also recommend seeing your recruiter now. You're 17, meaning you can still join right now. You just have to wait until you graduate high school, and your parents have to sign a release form. This will give release for you to actually sign your papers. It is not your parents signing your contract, just the release. Ask your recruiter about it. Also, if he says or mentions anything sounding a little too good to be true, or shady, ask here and get the scoop on it. Another great informational site I found to be really helpful is http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/marines/ They have a lot of information and articles about the Marine Corps, along with the other branches. I also highly recommend this article: http://usmilitary.about.com/library/weekly/aa092302a.htm It's titled "What the recruiter never told you." Read it before you go. Good luck!

Semper Fi,
    Lith

I'm going to see the recruiter tomorrow, I am very excited.
    ---Jon

Good luck with the recruiter. I joined when I was 17 (junior summer in H.S) and I was in the DEP for almost a year. This is a good thing. Go for it, you already sound like you have a good head on your shoulders... sorry "GRAPE" on your shoulders.

Semper Fi

Originally posted by Apollo

I have another question. Does it seem practical to go see the recruiter if I won't be able to sign till I am 18?
    ---Jon
    You can enlist when your 17 if your a senior in high school, and in good standing with your school (if you "know" you will graduate) you can be in the DEP (Deleyed Entry Program) for up to a year... that is where you have already enlisted, but get to go home, to get in shape, finish high school, ect...

In the DEP you will report in with your recruiter once a week, and should have POOLE functions once a month, where you would be required to meet up with all of the other DEPers in your area, and go do something cool, like hit up the "O" course, or shoot simulator rifles at a screen.

I am 17 years old, and I have been in the DEP since Dec. 2nd 2003. and I will ship out April 5th. I will be happy to answer all of your questions to the extent of my knowledge. just email me.

Yesterday I had a blast. The Marines seems to be what I am looking for in my life. I just need to go get some signatures from my parents (mom is going to be easy, dad is going to be really hard) then I am going for the gold, assumeing the accept me.
    Mucho I may take you up on that soon enough. I just need to get that waiver signed.
    ---Jon

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Lith,

First of all if a recruiter would make something to good to be true your correct you need to check that out. But bear in mind that if a recruiter makes something up that is not trues that means he is lying, and a Marines integrity would mean nothing. That recruiter would lose more than just one contract, he or she would lose many and possibly his or her career.

Apollo,

What tyoe of waiver are you talking about? IN the old days anything was waiverable, not anymore. The Marine Corps has made its number so to speak for the past three years I believe? More or less so the Marine Corps Recruiting service really doesn't need to make anything up, congure anything or lie.

I hope that this clears things up for you. I would not of had a successful tour in Buffalo New York if I had made anything up believe me the Commanding Officer would not of allowed that.

Originally posted by GySgtRet
    Apollo,
    What tyoe of waiver are you talking about?
    Just an age waiver to let me act as if I am 18. I am 17 now.
    Btw Do any of you guys have any advice on how I can combat the arguement that I could always go DEP when I am 18? My mom just proposed that one to me and I can't think of a good response without lying. I won't lie about this because it could compromise MY integrity. For the most part, I trust my recruiters it seems like he is an outstanding Marine. the whole office is like my recruiter. If I find something that sounds fishy I can look it up or ask you guys. thanks for all the help so far.
    ---Jon

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Appolo,

At this point in time I would approach this as a career choice and weigh your options to your parents. It is not easy for parents to sign on the line for you remeber we are fighting terrorism in a place that your family doesn't know much about, so you should get your maturity in order and stop being a tenager and be serious about this and let them know that this is not an impulse, that it is something that you have given agreat deal of thought to. I don't know your relationship with your family, and I mean your brothers and sisters if you have any because this believe me will effect everbody.

Dale Glasscock
    Guest Free Member
    Apollo, Whatever branch of service you enlist in just make sure you have weighed all the facts (as you find them) about each of our military establishments. There are 5 as you probably know already, and the way I see it to belong to any (or all) would be a great way of life. I just happened to have joined the Marine Corps in 1969 and got out in 1975. Others have done the same, but some re-enlisted in the Army, Air Force, ect. ect. After you have done your duty for the length of your enlistment you could do the same. "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again." First and foremost though whichever service you decide to enlist in make sure that you do the best that you can, and strive to learn more during your enlistment. Best of luck, and Semper Fi! Oh, by the way I still regret getting out of the Marines (and I was a grunt all those years). Dale

Registered User Free Member alanUSMCDEP03's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Just tell your parents you will resent them forever if they don't sign, that's how I got my parents to sign. Tell them you're going to do it anyways, and that they might as well support you. Let them know that the DEP is going to help you tremendously in being successful in Boot Camp later on.

Thread Information