Stories About Boot Camp
Create Post
    Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Stories About Boot Camp

Something different.

My mother went to PI for my graduation. We were in the PX when she noticed the CO of the whole base and said oh I want to go and tell him what a great job he's doing. I said no ma, PLEASE don't do this and I left in a hurry and went outside and foolishly stood at attention and I could see both of them laughing and talking and looking outside at me now and then.

Talk about uncomfortable. We as brand new Marines wouldn't strike up a conversation with a Lance Corporal.
    Much less a 2 star general.

Similar Threads:

I was at MCRD San Diego in 1965 (platoon 387) and would go to church on Sunday which was held at the base theater mainly for a break from the daily routine we all enjoyed. Of course we were never allowed to have candy (called pogey bait) or any such treats in boot camp. The theater had candy bar vending machines which were definitely off limits to us. On the last Sunday before graduation 3 of us decided we wanted a candy bar after the church service. It appeared nobody was looking so we quickly put coins into the machine and pulled the lever for our favorite. All of a sudden we heard “What the hell are you maggots doing.” Not sure if he was another DI or where he came from but we knew he carried more weight than we did. He told us to report back to our DI and tell him what we did. Needless to say we were terrified and certain we would be set back this late in the game. We gambled and didn’t say anything to anybody. Fortunately we never heard any more about it but the stress of it remained until graduation.

Speaking of candy, on the Sunday before we graduated, we were allowed to roam the base for a few hours. I went right in to the PX and bought a 1 pound bag of M&Ms with peanuts, and ate just about the entire thing.
    The first thing I did after we were "released" from the graduation ceremony was find a bathroom to put in my contact lenses so I didn't have to wear those goofy black framed glasses...

At PI on graduation morning we were given our MOS's, our EGA's and finally told if we graduated or not. When my name was called I was told that I was going to a line company. Well, my grandfather and several of my uncles were linemen for the power company so I had images of following in their footsteps. Later that day I found out that the MC had a different definition of a line company, especially those of us with an MOS of 0311, guess I was a little naive at the time. I was happy though, that's the job I joined the MC for in the 1st place. No regrets though I do believe that the MC tried to kill me or have me killed a number of times.

On New Years Day 67-68, we didn't train that day. We were all outside sitting on our foot lockers shining boots and doing laundry in the cement troughs. That afternoon the House-Mouse came up and said the Platoon Commander wanted all recruits from Texas in the Duty Hut. There was 8 of us. We went and was allowed inside where the Platoon Commander proceeded to knock us around, hit us in the stomach, chocked us and then made us hit each other. When it was over he said, just so you understand what just happened. I'm from Tennessee, and Texas just beat Tennessee in the Cotton Bowl.....

Billy, your Platoon Commander did nothing wrong. As you know I'm from Memphis (Tennessee) as well.

I know, Russ. I thought of my Platoon Commander many times in Nam. He was hell bent to get us ready for Nam in Boot-camp. I hated him in Boot-Camp but loved him later. I spent years trying to find him. Finally, about 8 years ago his Daughter had seen a post I made about him here on L.N. She and I started talking together off and on. I also talked to his Granddaughter. He had died in 2007. He retired from the Corps as a Regimental Sgt. Major. Here is the photo she sent me of him at his retirement party.

Attached Images Attached Images

This was him in 1968 at our graduation...SSgt, R.O.Reed..one hell-of-a Marine....

Attached Images Attached Images

Good to have great memories brother.

Credits
    Savings
    I was stationed at Pendleton and my bootcamp senior D.I. was at the PX and bumped into him,he was on his way back to Nam 1969

About two weeks after I hit the yellow footprints at MCRD SD, and became a member of platoon 2006. Our "psycho" DI, SSgt Sigmon, called the entire platoon into 1st squad's quonset. As we rushed in, we were all wondering what we had done now, and how bad he would get. He was quietly sitting on a couple foot lockers, and after we were settled in, begins talking like a normal, sane human being. What he said shocked us. Robert F. Kennedy, had been assassinated.

Credits
    Savings
    I remember hearing that news.

I saw my jr. DI, Sgt J. D. Clampett (and he was NO "Beverly Hillbilly") getting off the plane in Danang, the same plane that brought him to the Nam brought me home to the world....

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I Loved Boot Camp,I actually miss 3rd Bn.MCRD Parris Island...When My POP flew from Vietnam on his 2nd tour as a US Army Life and him and My Mom where sitting next to Major General Simpson as We passed in Review On Graduation day,and My POP was wearing his Dress Greens...Till this Day it’s one of the Proudest moments of My Life...Aye Aye Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Jack, welcome back

Thread Information