Involuntary Reclassifcation
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Involuntary Reclassifcation

Hey everyone, this is my first time on the website. I've looked all around the internet and scoured over many different MARADMINs but haven't found anything that I was looking for and was hoping somebody who has been in this situation before, knows someone who has, or simply has more knowledge of the Corps can help me out.

So I enlisted into the Marine Corps with a CK contract(Fire Direction/Control), hoping to get 0861. I found out that I was going to be a 0844, which I wasn't thrilled about but was still okay with, especially as I knew I was only guaranteed an MOS in the field and not one specifically. Anyways, after becoming a Marine on my last few weeks of boot before graduation, my SDI called me to the duty hut and told me that my mos had been changed because there was some ****ed up paperwork and that there was nothing he could do. I was upset, but figured everything happened for a reason. I ended up getting reclassed to comms hoping to get 0621 but was instead given 0631, network admin...I could not be any less thrilled about this MOS. Everything we do here is exactly the opposite reason of why I joined in the first place. After reading through my contract several times, there are specific reasons listed that sate if any of that critera were met, I could be reclassed(disciplinary issues, failing to meet physical standards etc). However I met none of that criteria, and at least under my contract see no reason why I would have been reclassed.

I took this to my chain of command upon arriving to 29 and the request to change my MOS was denied. 1st Sgt informed me it came all the way from Quantico. This was 3 months ago, I'm about to graduate class and have orders to Pendleton and am very worried I'm going to hate my life for the next 3 years. I was told that legally the Marine Corps has to give you the MOS you signed for as it is a legally binding contract, and if not I could possibly get out of my contract. I don't want to do that but I need to know if I have any options to rectify this situation. Any help would be appreciated.

Semper Fi

Similar Threads:

son, some things happen for a reason... comm is a great mos if you embrace it... plenty of opportunities to interact with and/or be a part of combat units... remember, no matter what, it's NOT going to happen without COMM... C(4)..command, control, COMMUNICATIONS and (now) computers, it's all part of a winning team in the field... with plenty of opportunities to rain pain and destruction on the bad guys... good luck, give it a whirl, you may just find out you like it more than you thought... back in 66, I was a little upset to be assigned to be a 2531 field radio operator, but I found out that I had just as much time in the bush as some of the grunts, I just happened to be humping a radio along with everything else... I retired as a 0691/0699 comm chief, and had the opportunity to serve with both grunt and wing units ... Semper Fi..... OBTW, WELCOME ABOARD.....

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    William, I remember when an MOS was handed to you.
    We had zero input.

Credits
    Savings
    You should like Pendleton? I did! way better than the stumps by far from what I hear? Welcome aboard

Thanks for the replies.
    Camp Pendleton is definitely beautiful and cant complain with the year-round weather.

Would have enjoyed being radio op if I had gotten that mos, but I didn't. I understand the Corps isn't the same as it used to be but it is what it is. If I have the option to pick my career path I just don't feel its right on behalf of the Corps to change it without even giving me a reason. But we're spoiled now I suppose...I have bigger plans for my career in the Corps and network administration just wasn't part of that equation. Still, I love being a Marine. Thank you all for paving the way.

Credits
    Savings
    Good post.

Credits
    Savings
    As William was saying, this MOS thing can take interesting and unexpected turns. I was handed a 2571 now called 2621. It was the best job I ever had in my life. Ever. And it wasn't something I would've picked.

Dave, there was a "MOS guaranteed enlistment" when I went in, but most enlistees were "open contract" like I was... you get what you get based on the needs of the Corps... back then, RTO's were in demand, too many were getting killed in the great University of Southeast Asia Olympic games...

Credits
    Savings
    Hi William....the only thing guaranteed in 1963 was called "aviation guaranteed " and that was it. You could end up as a cook or as a grunt. Classification tests at boot camp determined your MOS

Credits
    Savings
    That plus the ever present "needs of the Corps".

Welcome aboard.

While your frustration is understandable, it sounds like you don't have much recourse in trying to get a different MOS. 3 years will go by in the blink of an eye, so I'd recommend trying to make the most of the MOS you were assigned, then you can decide what you want to do after your first enlistment is up.

Dave, that's what we had in 66 too, "aviation guarantee"... one of my HS friends went for that... he ended up as a "parachute rigger", and NEVER worked in his MOS... he did 4 years in Hawaii as an MP.... those ever present "needs".... but it kept him out of the SE Asia war games.....

Credits
    Savings
    Billy told me that at the height of Vietnam a guy in his platoon got the MOS of air traffic controller and went to Puerto Rico.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC 2571 View Post
    That plus the ever present "needs of the Corps".

There it is.

Yeah, I remember some guys who had "guaranteed Aviation MOS's" who ended up at machine-gunner school with me.

Somewhere in the contract--then and now--there's the fine print of "needs of the Corps."

Trey, don't give up the ship. Opportunities may still come along for you to change your MOS.

That's right Dave.....Bob Staats was his name. He was my bunk-mate in Boot-Camp. He wanted to be a Grunt. He was like me, he went in the Corps thinking all Marines were Grunts. However, he loved what he did in the Corps. Bob died 3 years ago, and his Son is a great friend with me on Face-Book.

Thread Information