Involuntary Reclassifcation - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I enlisted with the expectation of being Motor-T. I wanted to be a mechanic. I was given the MOS of 2311 Ammunition Tech. Found out my guarantee the recruiter said would get me Motor-T like my Dad before me, was a general guarantee with many MOSs covered by it. 0631 will train you in computers and similar that when you EAS will translate to a civilian occupation. 2311 left me no options when I EASed other than maybe on a police bomb squad. Like my SDI said in Boot when I asked him about the guarantee. Consider yourself lucky you won't be humping hills with a pack for 4 years. You can use your GI Bill to train in your desired occupation once you are out. So I went to Mechanics School with my GI bill. Never made a career of it but it comes in handy for vehicle maintenance. Ended up driving OTR trucks for 30 years.

My mos of 0311 got me a job as a city cop in the blackist projects when I got home. So, my war experience lasted much longer than most. Unlike being Marine I could get a drink and get laid every night so the benefits were great. Life is good.

In my platoon we had a Quaker who joined the MC to be a Corpsman - big mistake. In the beginning he got the shivt beat out of him quite a lot because he refused to carry a rifle. When our 5 DI's were convinced that he was for real he finished PI never carrying a rifle.

On graduation day we all got our orders and because of needs of the Corps about 85% of us became 03's but our Quaker never received orders. I heard later that he was kept on the island for almost a year until he finally signed a waiver. Next I heard with his given MOS of 0311 he was later killed in the Nam. What a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    My mos of 0311 got me a job as a city cop in the blackist projects when I got home. So, my war experience lasted much longer than most. Unlike being Marine I could get a drink and get laid every night so the benefits were great. Life is good.
    Yeah, Russ. my 2531 AKA "grunt with a radio added" got me the same job and bennies... at least until I got divorced and decided to go "home to the Corps"...

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by USMC 2571 View Post
    Billy told me that at the height of Vietnam a guy in his platoon got the MOS of air traffic controller and went to Puerto Rico.
    Billy, a guy in my platoon initially got the same ATC MOS with orders to El Toro, but he requested, and was IMMEDIATELY granted a change in orders to the NAM instead, but as a 2531, not an ATC.... I should know, it was ME....

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thread Information