Pepe La Pew banned by Disney for promoting Rape culture.......
Create Post

Pepe La Pew banned by Disney for promoting Rape culture.......

• SCROLL DOWN

Scroll back up to restore default view.

LeBron cancels Le Pew: Looney Tunes skunk Pepé has been cut from the 'Space Jam' sequel

Ethan AlterˇSenior Writer, Yahoo Entertainment
    ˇ5 min read

Twenty-five years after starring alongside Michael Jordan in the original Space Jam, the Looney Tunes are preparing to lace up and take the court with LeBron James in the sequel, Space Jam: A New Legacy. But one familiar character will be staying in the locker room: Sources at Warner Bros. have said that amorous cartoon skunk, Pepé Le Pew, will not be featured in the upcoming film, which is set to premiere in theaters and on HBO Max on July 16. In fact, the controversial character — who made his first appearance in 1945 — seems to be permanently retired from the Looney Tunes canon. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the studio has no plans to feature Pepé in any other feature films or the new Looney Tunes cartoon series currently streaming on HBO Max.
    Interestingly, the skunk was scrubbed from the Space Jam sequel over a year ago. But the news is coming to light amid an ongoing reckoning with the pop culture of yesteryear, including the recent announcements that Disney+ has put content warnings on select episodes of The Muppet Show, and Dr. Seuss Enterprises ceasing publication of six of the late author's books. Both of those decisions infuriated conservative critics, who held them up as examples of "cancel culture" run amok.

Pepé Le Pew played alongside Michael Jordan and the rest of the Looney Tunes in the original Space Jam, but he's benched from the upcoming sequel, A New Legacy. (Photo: Warner Bros/Courtesy Everett Collection)

In a March 3 column praising the Seuss estate for their decision, New York Times Opinion writer Charles M. Blow listed Pepé Le Pew among a trio of animated characters from his childhood — including fellow Looney Tune Speedy Gonzalez and Tom and Jerry's Mammy Two Shoes — that have aged poorly. Blow specifically criticized Pepé as having "normalized rape culture," for his vintage animated antics, which involved him relentlessly pursuing a black female cat, Penelope Pussycat, who he repeatedly confused for a skunk mate. The writer later continued his argument on Twitter, citing multiple examples from Looney Tunes cartoons. "This helped teach boys that “no” didn’t really mean no," Blow wrote.
    According to Deadline, the decision to cut Pepé from the New Legacy team was made in 2019 after Roll Bounce director Malcolm D. Lee replaced the original helmer, Terence Nance. Nance filmed a comic Casablanca homage that would have placed the cartoon skunk in the same frame as Jane the Virgin star, Greice Santo. In the since-deleted sequence, Pepé played a bartender making eyes at Santo's customer. But when he tries to make his move, she teaches him proper manners by pouring her drink over his head and slapping him silly. At that point, James and Bugs show up hoping that Pepé can tell them where to find Lola Bunny. After providing the intel, he reveals that Penelope has filed a restraining order, and James specifically tells him that he's not allowed to grab her, or any other women, without their consent. When Lee took over the film, that scene was removed without the animation being completed.

Pepé Le Pew in a vintage Looney Tunes cartoon. (Photo: Warner Bros./Courtesy Everett Collection)

Santo apparently learned that the sequence was deleted at the same time as the rest of the world. In a statement provided to Deadline, a spokesperson for the singer and actress indicated Santo was disappointed by the decision since the scene ultimately features her teaching Pepé a lesson. “This was such a big deal for Greice to be in this movie," the spokesperson said. "Even though Pepé is a cartoon character, if anyone was going to slap a sexual harasser like him, Greice wished it would be her. Now the scene is cut, and she doesn’t have that power to influence the world through younger generations who’ll be watching Space Jam 2, to let younger girls and younger boys know that Pepé's behavior is unacceptable."
    Reaction to the filmmakers' decision to remove Pepé from the Space Jam sequel is evenly split on Twitter, with some defending the character while others are happy to see him remain in the history books.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Mongoose; 03-09-21 at 06:08 AM.

This is a direct result of the "Communist Manifesto" and the entire Left Dems...

I got a nice laugh out of the fact The NY Times author's name is Charles M. Blow.

As far as the topic, this nonsense is going to continue for as long as people allow it to continue.

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Nothing more threatening to our culture than a cartoon skunk.

idiocracy run amok, for sure...

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Credits
    Savings
    There is a big picture to all this that we hardly ever talk about. ..this cancel culture bulll****......people substituting their own warped judgment about historical facts, and setting themselves up to decide what should be condemned. ..none of their fkg business what went on years ago.

As someone said, the past is a foreign country. They do things differently there....why can't people in authority tell off these cancel culture people in public?

Dave, as you know the cancel culture cancellations are in their best interests. You'd actually have to care about our country to attempt to save it. In a crowd these folks are vicious, by themselves I bet not so much. We may get to see for ourselves real soon.

What the left seems to have no fathom of is that many of us conservatives want nothing to do with violence, as long as it can be avoided. However, if it goes in that direction many of us will hedge hammer the helll out of them. I wonder what names they'll call us then.

I remember hearing that in the Nam our problem was that our troops weren't trained in guerrilla fighting techniques, all the while we Marines were out guerrilla fighting the gooks. We Marines have ingrained inside of us a program that is very versatile, we overcome and adapt to everything. Our enemies never expect the fury that is about to hit them. Remember "Devil Dog" didn't just come out of nowhere. Just saying.

Credits
    Savings
    Gotcha, Russ. ....would like to see some folks known to news media get up and say to these azzhats...mind your own business, not ours.

I'm sure you are all familiar with what happened to Gina Carano. So far, she is the only victim of cancel culture that I see fighting back, and inspiring others to do the same.
    Most people are too worried about saving their own skin to publicly criticize this cancel culture nonsense, even if they actually don't agree with it.
    “All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing.”

The good news is that the mouse "Speedy Gonzales" barely escaped the chopping block. Isn't it amazing how the left can find racism in every damn thing? All the while the real racist are portrayed as the victim. I will say this.....I was never a racist person until the blacks started accusing me of being racist because I'm White. It's a tragedy that the blacks use racism as justification for not taking care of their families, their criminal activities, and their over-all "Woe is Me" attitude. It takes someone with an extremely low I.Q. or an acute mental impairment, to think that normal people blames centuries old slavery for the dysfunctional environment created by today's black race. I mean who in their right mind thinks that blacks today have nightmares and are traumatized by their great, great, great, great, grand parents slavery. The only difference in black slavery today, compared to hundreds of years ago is........in the past slavery days, they had to work for a place to live and food to eat, while being responsible for raising their kids. Today, black slavery is Government sponsored. The Demos take care of the blacks just to get their votes. Other than that they care about blacks, about as much as blacks care about each other.....just saying....

They are so Stupid , as a kid i watched all these cartoons and laugh at them all... This is the works of STUPID DEMOCRATS...

Thread Information