Gun Violence unfair young black men 20 times more likely to be killed, than White men
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gun Violence unfair young black men 20 times more likely to be killed, than White men

Young Black men and teens are killed by guns 20 times more than their white counterparts, CDC data shows

Nada Hassanein, USA TODAY·3 min read

Young Black men and teens made up more than a third of firearm homicide victims in the USA in 2019, one of several disparities revealed in a review of gun mortality data released Tuesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
    The analysis, titled "A Public Health Crisis in the Making," found that although Black men and boys ages 15 to 34 make up just 2% of the nation's population, they were among 37% of gun homicides that year.
    That's 20 times higher than white males of the same age group.
    Of all reported firearm homicides in 2019, more than half of victims were Black men, according to the study spearheaded by the Educational Fund to Stop Gun Violence and the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence. Sixty-three percent of male victims were Black.
    The contrast is even more stark when the rates were compared with white people: Across all ages, Black men were nearly 14 times more likely to die in a firearm homicide than white men, and eight times more likely to die in a firearm homicide than the general population, including women.
    Read more on race and identity: Sign up for USA TODAY’s This Is America newsletter
    Black women and girls are also at higher risk. Black females had the highest risk of being killed by a firearm than females of any other race or ethnicity, and they were four times more likely to be victims than white females.
    "Gun violence has for the longest time been a public health crisis in the Black community," said epidemiologist Ed Clark of Florida A&M University’s Institute of Public Health.

At a Moms Demand Action event, gun control advocates protest violence Aug. 5, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

The gun violence expert said a "holistic approach" is needed to reduce gun fatalities and injuries.
    "That should include really viewing gun violence as a public health issue. The business of public health is population wellness – looking at how we can decrease the disease burden or the threat of injury to the population at large," he said. "And gun violence is definitely a problem that should be looked at through that lens."
    After Black males and females, American Indian and Alaska Natives were the next highest-risk group, according to the analysis, followed by Latino and Hispanic people.
    Ahmaud Arbery was killed at 25: A year later, Black men who see themselves in him mourn his loss.
    Most of children and teens up to age 19 who died that year died by firearm, the study found – 1 in 10 deaths in that age group. That's the second-highest total in two decades.
    Evidence suggests gun homicides rose "dramatically" last year during the pandemic, the authors said, but because of what they argued is a lack of timely data, "we won't know the full scale of the problem for many months to come."
    The emerging data suggests, the authors wrote, that suicides among Black people rose disproportionately, though the study found the majority of all suicide deaths by firearm, 73%, were white males. White men were more than twice as likely to die by a firearm suicide than others.
    Sixty percent of all firearm deaths in 2019 were suicides. In total, 39,707 people died from gun violence that year.
    "Despite the limitations, gun death data are the most reliable type of gun violence data currently available – but gun deaths are only the tip of the iceberg of gun violence. Many more people are shot and survive their injuries, are shot at but not hit, or witness gun violence," the analysis reads. "Many experience gun violence in other ways, by living in impacted communities, losing loved ones to gun violence, or being threatened with a gun."

Similar Threads:

Having had a great deal of experience with black gun violence I would suggest blacks should only be allowed to have light colored guns. Since the Indians are in another high group, limit their fire water, and only allow them to have bows and arrows.

Also, another answer for this problem would be to somehow get more whites to shoot each other. Personally, I've given up on getting blacks 2 shoot each other. Just saying.

Russ, you know the number one cause of death for black men 35 or younger is murder. 98% of the time by another black person. Myself, if I was black, I would think that would indicate that Black Supremacy. I mean why are only blacks allowed to kill other blacks?? That sounds racist to me.....just saying....

Dave, where has your post gone to, Brother?? It was here earlier, now it's gone. But, I did read it before you deleted it.........

I grew up in a small city called Memphis,Tn. and when in 1975 when I came home from Japan i was behind a Black man at a stop light and this other driver pulled up and moved hi arm out the side window and shot the driver in the head.. He fled and I did to . I was so scared that he would come after me. But I think they got the guy..
    Right after my leave from coming home I was transferred to Quantico,Va.. And I never went back..

Bill, as you know I was still riding the Memphis Dixie Homes projects on Poplar Ave at that time. Smallest ward in the city of Memphis with the highest crime. I loved it, got my adrenalin fix almost every night. We had a lot of exciting times.

Credits
    Savings
    Statistics would be different

IF prices on ammo was CHEAPER

solution is to take guns away from honest people, and give them to dopers and gang bangers.... the government should also impose "quotas" on the number of blacks that can be killed each year.... kind of like when it was suggested that black criminals get a "pass" in order to achieve "equality" in prisons.... can't jail a black unless a white is jailed....

Si vis pacem, para bellum

It's amazing that the black population (13%), makes up 60% of the prison population. Why is that?? Do the law officers just ride around looking for black men to kick their azz and put 'em in jail for no apparent reason? I mean, just look at the photos of those blacks murdered by cops. How could that innocent black child commit a felony. Of course the photos are always taken when they were 10 years old, never their mug shots. The radical liberals have often said that blacks commit crimes because it's the only way they can get money to feed their families. They say it's only for survival, because the White man keeps them oppressed and won't hire them to work. Therefore they have no choice. I tell you, Brothers, it's the White race that is committing a hideous crime against black humanity. For Shame, for shame. It's time for White people to open their racial eyes and repent. The only right thing to do, is start a program called ( Adapt a Black Family). It's the right thing to do.....it's a stepping stone toward black equality. just saying

Credits
    Savings
    Happy 185 th TEXAS independence day
    TEXACANS **

Billy, I remember one sorry individual from back in my NOPD days, began his criminal career at the ripe old age of nine... by the time he was 13, he was an addict, rapist, and murderer that shot at every cop or cop car he saw... unfortunately, he came out on the short end of a shoot out during the serving of a warrant, and took a 12 gauge shotgun blast to the head at rather close range, so he never made it to 14....

Quote Originally Posted by m14ed View Post
    Statistics would be different

IF prices on ammo was CHEAPER
    I agree with that, Ed, I'm even having trouble finding reloading dies for my .45 acp and my 308

So, what you're saying William is that he had 13 relatively good years.

Russ, what William is saying, is that the young innocent misunderstood black child was a victim of extreme police brutality. Ending the life of a black child caught up in the web of White Supremacy and Police discrimination, is a way of life for young black people. No Mother should have to worry about her sons life every time he robs a liquor store.

Russ, I doubt that he even remembered much after he turned 7 or 8, the Heroin fried his brain at a very early age... Pat, dies are easily available, but finding PRIMERS and Powder is nigh impossible... none of my sources have had primers of any kind except for 50 BMG rounds since mid 2020...

Thread Information