Older Permanent Resident in WA State Looking to Join Reserves
Create Post

Older Permanent Resident in WA State Looking to Join Reserves

Hello,

I apologize upfront for potential mistakes. I will try to follow the site rules to the best of my ability.

Background:
    I am 27 (will be 28 within a couple of months), have a Bachelors degree, live in Seattle, WA. I am a permanent resident, who is looking to join the reserves before I apply for citizenship.
    I wanted to join earlier, but I was on a visa for a long time, then life got in the way.
    I have a few questions and would appreciate any answers you can give.

I am athletic, have taken the ASVAB earlier in the month with the National Guard. I got high scores, so that should not preclude me from jobs.

1. I am a little worried about being quite old for USMC and would be an outcast in the unit where most of my peers are not even 20 yet. On top of that, from what I have read, it seems like most reservists are former active duty (at least in USMC) which will make me feel excluded even further. I would appreciate a perspective of someone who joined reserves in their 20s.

2. It looks like MOS' are geographically limited in the reserves and on top of that being a permanent resident (green card holder) will disqualify me from any jobs that require security clearance limiting the choices further. I would appreciate a perspective of someone who was non-citizen in terms of what jobs are available for non-citizens.

3. I am located in WA state. I am open to travel, but is there anyone who is in the USMC reserves in WA who can give me a perspective of what they like/don't like and if it makes sense to travel to a different state if they have a better unit.

P.S: My employer is a fairly military friendly midsize corporation. Our CSO (chef sales officer) is a U.S Army vet, we have Marines and Navy vets working here as well.

Thank you very much for your time and input.